Drinking water

patatz

We will be on the BOS in Sept. 2008 in the Mediterranean taking many excursions and would like to know if you can drink the local water in Barcelonia,France,Italy,Turkey or Greece. On my last trip to Europe I got sick by accedently drinking the water in France, but that was many years ago. Thank you for any information you may have.

We take bottled water off the ships, for any excursion, not because the water is bad but because their purification techniques are different and that is usually why people get sick because of those differences. Either fill up a water bottle with the highly purified water on the ship or they will be selling it as you get off the ship.

We take bottled water off the ships, for any excursion, not because the water is bad but because their purification techniques are different and that is usually why people get sick because of those differences. Either fill up a water bottle with the highly purified water on the ship or they will be selling it as you get off the ship.

In my work in public health, I was involved in water testing; we found approximately one third of all bottled water (regardless of brand) was infected with bacteria. Also, remember that bottled water has no chlorine so keep the bottle refrigerated; best to use it as quickly as possible.:eek:

In my work in public health, I was involved in water testing; we found approximately one third of all bottled water (regardless of brand) was infected with bacteria. Also, remember that bottled water has no chlorine so keep the bottle refrigerated; best to use it as quickly as possible.:eek:

I'm sincerely interested sagiv666... bottled water has no chlorine... what does keeping it refrigerated do??? I've heard that statistic about bacteria and bottled water before too... I don't doubt the stat but I am curious about the refrigeration/chlorine issue...

I wouldn't drink any local water in any of the ports. Even if it is deemed ok, it's still not to our standards and is not what our tummy's are used to! I'd stick with bottled water--and remember, no ice cubes, or fresh, unpeeled fruit or salad! (It's all washed with local water!) Stick with canned or bottled drinks.

Now, the ship's water is a different story--it's fine to drink, and you can re-fill your empty bottles to take ashore. Easier than bringing tons of water onboard with you!

I'm sincerely interested sagiv666... bottled water has no chlorine... what does keeping it refrigerated do??? I've heard that statistic about bacteria and bottled water before too... I don't doubt the stat but I am curious about the refrigeration/chlorine issue...

I suggest refrigeration, because the cooler the temperature the slower bacteria grow. Even if a bottle is not contaminated, as soon as it is opened and exposed to the air, and as soon as you take a drink, either by mouth or by straw, you introduce bacteria.

I wouldn't drink any local water in any of the ports. Even if it is deemed ok, it's still not to our standards and is not what our tummy's are used to! I'd stick with bottled water--and remember, no ice cubes, or fresh, unpeeled fruit or salad! (It's all washed with local water!) Stick with canned or bottled drinks.

Now, the ship's water is a different story--it's fine to drink, and you can re-fill your empty bottles to take ashore. Easier than bringing tons of water onboard with you!

I am going on the Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean route this January. What about when I am in a restaurant in the caribbean....should I request a bottled soda, or request no ice in my soda? I'm going on my first cruise and I really don't want to get sick!

Thanks!

Archived