Just Back from Maasdam

Bopa2

Just thought I would write a quick summary of the cruise that we just returned from aboard the Maasdam. We had never sailed on this ship before and some of the reviews were less than flattering which scared the heck out of us.

My wife and daughter (15 yrs) had been on 6 previous cruises (we are in our 40's) and had always managed to have a good time regardless of the cruise lines (2 Carnival, 1 Celebrity, 2 Princess, and now 2 HAL) and their mixed reviews. Anyways we were very happy with this cruise, the food was close, if not the best we have ever had, the cabin was spacious and clean, the ship was in great shape. The entertainment was probable the weakest we have encountered though, we left early for 4 of 8 shows in the Rembrandt Lounge. I suspect this was the same for everyone as the lounge was typically well short of capacity for almost every show and we were never the first to leave. Sight lines in the balcony were horrendous.

The ports of Aruba and Bonaire were not too exciting, we had been to Aruba before but still went on island tours of each, nothing much going on there, seeing the Naturally 'collapsed' bridge twice is a bit much. Bonaire island tour had even less to offer, the Flamingos were there but in small numbers.

Loved Curacao, the town has lots of character and spent plenty of time touring the town and taking photos. Again, the island tour was less than spectacular but got a few shots (photos and rum).

Grand Turk turned into a beach day as we were only there 4.5 hrs. Nice beach right beside the pier, not a bad morning.

Was not too excited about Half Moon Caye since we had just had a beach day the day before but was pleasantly surprised by the beach and grounds. We had been to Princess Caye previously but this island is much nicer. Had a great day on the beach and a BBQ to boot.

All in all one of our better cruises, there were a few kids on board which is not too surprising since it was the Christmas cruise but still an older crowd which is typical for HAL. Would sail aboard the Maasdam anytime.

Thank you so very much for your straightforward and clear review. As usual, we discovered that each cruise is different, even when taken aboard the same ship, and that different itineraries offer different experiences both in port and aboard ship. Just because one reads a few bad reviews doesn't mean that I (or you or anybody else) is certain to have a bad cruise as well. I try to remember this when I read a terrible -- and, especially, an over-the-top negative -- review. I also try to remember that various people's opinions about the quality, taste, and variety of food is also a highly relative and subjective subject and just because someone didn't like (or liked) the food doesn't necessarily mean that I'll agree with them. This has been true between cruises, on the same cruise, and even at the same table!

Again, thank you for sharing some details of your Christmas cruise with us, and Happy New Year!

We loved the holiday cruise! Food was excellent! Dining room, Lido and room service was great! Crew was wonderful! Shows were great except for that "juggling guy" :( Ports were great! Toured Aruba by bus for the first time. We had been missing so much! Bonaire was lovely. Shopped at a very nice store for clothes. Curacao was also lovely. Made a nice deposit at Effy. Grand Turk was awesome! Went snorkeling and shopping and visited Margaritaville. So very nice! Christmas carols were sung, Santa arrived and gave out gifts to kids and Captain Van der loo is quite the charm and muscle of her lovely and elegant Maasdam. Alex in the Ocean Bar can make any drink you request, with a smile! Maasdam has new photographer's and they are great! We spent far toooo much on photos, but hey they were great! This was a truly wonderful cruise!!

So happy to read these great reviews of Maasdam. As I have said so many times on this BB, we love that ship and think her crew Amazing!!

Weren't the holiday decorations all over the ship beautiful? I love the way they did the tree in the atrium with the reindeer and sleigh..... Also the trees all around the ship.

Welcome Back. Happy you had a great time.

Archived