Danube Cruise - Questions

roothy123

I will be taking Viking's Romantic Danube cruise in April and was wondering the following things:

1. In the places where Viking goes (Budapest, Passau, Regensburg, Melk, Linz, Kelheim, Nuremberg, Vienna), are you close enough to the center of town to just get off the ship and wander around, or how hard is it to go back off the ship for a little while on your own?

2. In particular, in Nuremberg, about how centrally located is the ship? I'll probably need to arrange my own transporation to the ship from the airport - is that hard?

3. The itinerary calls for cruising the Main/Danube canal "very early morning" before breakfast. Does anyone know HOW early that will be? Should I get up to see it?

4. We're staying 2 days (on our own) in Nuremberg. Any suggestions on where to spend the time? I was thinking of heading south, but welcome suggestions.

I will be taking Viking's Romantic Danube cruise in April and was wondering the following things:

1. In the places where Viking goes (Budapest, Passau, Regensburg, Melk, Linz, Kelheim, Nuremberg, Vienna), are you close enough to the center of town to just get off the ship and wander around, or how hard is it to go back off the ship for a little while on your own?

Except for Nuremberg and Vienna the landings are within walking distance to the downtown area. For Vienna: In case you are docking at Handelskai it´s about a 5 min walk to the subway station. In case you are docking at Nussdorf it´s about 15 min walking distance to the next tram stop (but you have to change). In Nuremberg you need a taxi to get downtown. The landing is located in the industrial harbor area on the canal.

2. In particular, in Nuremberg, about how centrally located is the ship? I'll probably need to arrange my own transporation to the ship from the airport - is that hard?

The reception desk will arrange a taxi for you.

3. The itinerary calls for cruising the Main/Danube canal "very early morning" before breakfast. Does anyone know HOW early that will be? Should I get up to see it?

The part prior to Kelheim is really pretty and worth seeing. But up to the continental devide I won´t get up.

4. We're staying 2 days (on our own) in Nuremberg. Any suggestions on where to spend the time? I was thinking of heading south, but welcome suggestions.

Nuremberg is a pretty town itself and there´s much to do (WWII sites, museums, big train museum). Or take the train to Munich and stay there (its about one hour, high speed train). Are you planning to rent a car? Are you flying out of Nuremberg (why not Munich, Munich has non-stop flights to the US)?

steamboats

Thanks for the info. Well, now I wish I had asked about flying back from Munich rather than Nuremberg, but I really didn't even think about that! And we're using frequent flyer miles, which can be a little bit screwy in terms of what you can and can't do.

A couple more questions, if you don't mind: So for Nuremberg, I guess I will be taking a taxi. Do you know where Viking usually docks in Vienna, or does it depend? Do you know a web site where I can check assignments? I've done that for other European cities, but only for the big ships.

The canal part - is that the second part of the passage when coming TO Nuremberg, or the first?

In answer to your last question, I am thinking of renting a car in NUE, especially if we go all the way down to Fussen/Newschwanstein, but may just take a train to Munich instead. In either case, I would like to at least spend a little time in Munich.

I can´t tell you where Viking is docking in Vienna. They used to dock at Handelskai. This is the main docking area. But as more and more cruise ships are running this docking area is running out of space and therefore some cruise companies are docking at Nussdorf (which is cheaper too). But I assume that Viking is still docking at Handelskai. Unfortunately there is no website for river cruise ships telling you where the ships are docking (in some ports the captains don´t know this either until a couple of hours prior to docking). As for Handelskai here are my "instructions"

"We walked up to the subway station. Just leave the boat to the right facing the bridge and follow the signs (white U on blue) to the subway stations Vorgartenstrasse of U1 (red line). We bought a "Wiener Einkaufskarte" (Vienna shopping ticket, http://www.wienerlinien.at/) at the ticket machine (choose the left machine with the touch screen, English language option available, you can buy all needed tickets in one routine, credit cards accepted) for 4 EUR which is valid from 8 am to 8 pm (single ticket is 1.50 EUR). We went to Stephansplatz (4 stops) and visited the dome." (You´ll find more in my MS MOZART review linked in my signature.)

When going to Nuremberg (which is on the canal) you are entering the canal at Kelheim. The first two or three hours starting at Kelheim are the most scenic ones. You might be outside anyway as there´s a lock when you are entering the canal.

It´s about 1:30 h by car from Nuremberg to Munich (depending on traffic, but all Autobahn). From Munich to Neuschwanstein it´s about 1:30 - 2 h by car. If you don´t want to rent a car check with this website

http://www.sightseeing-munich.com/eng/index.html

They (franchise of Gray Line) are offering day trips by bus to Neuschwanstein and more. I can also recommend their city sightseeing tour which I´ve done with friends from the US two years ago (now they are hop-on hop-off, haven´t been when I did the tour). You definitely need to make a reservation for a hotel room in Munich.

steamboats

Archived