Windowless Wonders Unite!

DarthGrady

I figured since there is a thread going for "Balcony/Suite Snobs" (joking! don't take offense!), there should be one for us on the other end of the spectrum.

I love interior rooms! There are lots of reasons why!

I sleep much better in interior rooms since there is no light. I also like them because it's the cheapest way to stay on the water. I can take 2 interior room cruises for the price of one balcony room cruise! We are froogle cruisers, and interior is "how we doos it". What's everybody else's thoughts on inside rooms? Anyone like them as much as us?

Have done it several times. Been in every type "cabin" from interior to a 520sf suite. Now I cruise alone and the last cruise I took I booked a 1A but got a 4A. The only problem I had is with no exterior light...I could sleep the day away. My next cruise again is a 1A cabin but with portholes.

I did find the cabin to be quite comfortable and being lower in the ship to be very stable. I kinda missed the motion of the ocean though that you find in cabins on higher decks...

I've also been in every kind of cabin, and if I could sail in aft balconies every sailing, boy would I be a happy cruiser! However, interior cabins are far more affordable and there are times when the issue is taking an affordable cruise vs. staying at home. In that case, it's an interior for me--with no regrets! We're in an interior cabin in April on the Freedom. I'm not used to the layout of the interiors on the newer ships, but from pictures that I've found on Webshots, I think I'll like it.

I've also been in OV and inside. Only difference to me was getting up the first day, looking out window in OV and my body started noticing the motion...LOL

Hey being a single dad cruiser...inside means less $$$ spent by my DD's and I.

1st and 3rd cruises - inside

2nd and 4th cruises - ocean view.

That first cruise without a window really messed with my body clock. Like a previous poster, the lack of outside light made it hard for me to want to get out of bed. Hubby was pretty put out about my slow starts each day. :rolleyes:

The cruise with an ocean view was nice. It sure helped me get up and going in the morning. It was nice to see the weather before leaving the cabin. Good and bad to see the waves and motion (thank heavens for the motion sickness patch ;) .)

Our second cruise without a window didn't cause me any problems like it did on the first cruise. I think knowing we had a lot of things to do in each port and earlier excursions or car rentals got me going faster this time.

So we're happy with either an inside (like the cheaper price :D ) or window.

Had a outside cabin before, I'm never in the cabin and when I was, it was too dark to see anything anyway. Since then we have done all insides and we love it, why mess with a good thing? I ask my wife from time to time if she would like a balcony and she always says "no, I feel better going with the inside." Just like Carnival, we stay with them because we have always had a great vacation.

Had a outside cabin before, I'm never in the cabin and when I was, it was too dark to see anything anyway. Since then we have done all insides and we love it, why mess with a good thing? I ask my wife from time to time if she would like a balcony and she always says "no, I feel better going with the inside." Just like Carnival, we stay with them because we have always had a great vacation.

We've done inside 2 or 3 times and if it were down to inside vs. not cruising, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only problem I've found with the inside cabins is the first morning when I wake up and head out of the room I invariably head the wrong direction when I go out the door. :o :eek:

I have only been on two cruises and the first was an inside and the second a bal. We loved them both! The bal room was at a deal for only 110 bucks pp more so we went for it. It was nice! if we were in the room not asleep or getting ready to go out we were on the bal. My wife says she don't see the point of a window for the money. if not a bal save the $$$ and go inside. THe bal room curtian blocks out alot of light you had to look to see the light around the edge so the light was not stareing you in the face when you woke up.

I would do an inside in a minute if it meant I could cruise more often but DH wants a balcony to sit on... I am not in the room long enough to sit out there, the only thing it helps me with is that I keep the cabin pretty cold & DH hates the cold so he sits on the balcony while I get ready to go out where it is usually warm...:D And darthgrady I am sooooo jealous of all your upcomng cruises....ENJOY !!!!

... The only problem I had is with no exterior light...I could sleep the day away...

8 cruises - 7 inside cabins (all but the first cruise).

Here's a tip if you like a "sunrise" in your cabin: Put on the ship's bow camera before you go to bed (mute the sound). Your cabin will gradually get brighter as the sun rises, gently waking you up. Personally, I like the dark and just set my alarm if I need to be somewhere.

Insider here too. I just don't want to spend the money for something I can walk a few decks up to find (sunlight). Our on board expenses make up for what we could have in a bigger room. We've had one OV out of the 3 cruises we've been on and it was ok, but not a necessity. I like cave like atmosphere of an IS.

To each their own though. You like what you like, ya know?

Of our 4 cruises 2 have been in an inside and 2 in an ov. Our upcoming (27 day!) Liberty cruise will be in an inside as well. I couldn't care less what type of cabin I'm in as long as it is on the ship :D . With that said, the only cruise that it did matter to me was our Alaska trip this past June. We wanted an OV so that we could see all the beautiful scenery that we were going through and with all that daylight we had a great show all day long. But for the carib. couldn't give a hoot! Give me an inside any day as long as I'm cruising!

We have done insides for the majority of our cruises. The inside cabins are cheaper, which equates to more cruises. Sometimes the inside cabins are quite roomy, especially those running parallel to the corridor with a side entry. The price per person between inside and a balcony will pay for lots of shore excursions and other stuff. We had a great price on an outside one time on Celebrity, and it was nice. Another time we booked an outside guarantee on Carnival and was upgraded to a balcony, which will spoil you immediately. I've done two B2B's on Carnival, solo, with 1A's with portholes or windows, and liked it a lot. However, I'm not ashamed of doing insides at all. I have been around people, and have seen threads here on CC (on other lines) , where they practically boast about balconies and suites - to the point where "inside people" are bashful about participating. Not good. All you need for an inside cabin is an alarm clock - a must.

As for needing an OV or balcony for scenery - no need. There are lots and lots of places on a ship where one can see the world, and much, much more of it, without the need for a window or balcony. I've done 2 Alaska cruises with inside cabins, and I would have missed sooooooooo much had I been looking through a window, or off the balcony on one side of the ship. The promenade decks, forward observation areas on various decks of the bigger ships, up top along the sides, wherever, give you a much larger view of the world. Some cruise lines (HAL, Celebrity, others) have forward facing observation lounges that are great. The Crown Viking lounge on RCI ships serves the purpose well too.

On the down side - I was quarantined with norwalk virus once, while in an inside cabin on Celebrity. 3 days in a dungeon, but I made the most of it. The bridge cam on the TV was my contact with the outside world for 3 days. An outside or better yet, a balcony, would have been great during quarantine.

Ken

Coming from a colder climate - if I am taking a Caribbean cruise in the winter, I spend the absolute minimum amount of time in my cabin - I prefer to be outside enjoying the sun/sunsets and sea breezes. An inside cabin to sleep and change my clthes is all I require.

If I were taking a more exotic cruise - Europe/South Americ/Asia - I think I might splurge for a balcony.

My first time cruising in May will be in an inside cabin. I'm excited and could careless where I'm sleeping but I think the darkness will throw off my internal clock by a few hours :) Two questions for those of you that are seasoned "insiders"....Is it true that there is no clock inside the cabins? ANNNND should I bring a nightlight for those late night bathroom trips? Thanks!!

CrackerKen, what's a bridge cam? I'm assuming the TV broadcasts something like a webcam from a part of the ship. Which part? Thanks! :D

Happy New Year!!!

Kristina

My first time cruising in May will be in an inside cabin. I'm excited and could careless where I'm sleeping but I think the darkness will throw off my internal clock by a few hours :) Two questions for those of you that are seasoned "insiders"....Is it true that there is no clock inside the cabins? ANNNND should I bring a nightlight for those late night bathroom trips? Thanks!!

CrackerKen, what's a bridge cam? I'm assuming the TV broadcasts something like a webcam from a part of the ship. Which part? Thanks! :D

Happy New Year!!!

Kristina

No clock in any cabin I have been in. I use my watch and/or cell phone alarm. Some folks also pack an alarm clock, but the time gets screwed up due to the slightly-off frequency of the AC oscillations of ship's power.

There is only a "shaving" outlet in the bathroom that will not work with most night lights I have used. We bring a small flashlight for the late night trips to the privvy.

Happy New Year!!!

Kristina

Yes, bring an alarm clock unless you want to arrange a daily wake up call via the pursers desk. Yes, bring a night light if you make frequent trips to the bathroom at night since it is dark. Some light comes in under the door, but not a lot.

The bridge cam is footage from a video camera mounted on the front of the ship and transmitted via one of the TV channels. I don't know that it's available on all ships though.

Only cruised twice... Once O/V and once inside. I'm not in cabin long enough to worry about it -- but I do like to look out at the weather. I had to pay for two cabins on the second cruise and enjoyed the savings. If it meant I couldn't cruise because of cost... I'd take an inside in a heart beat!!!

Happy New Year!

Archived