Northern Lights

becca23

We will be on cruise to Alaska (Mercury 4/27/08) out of San Francisco. Want to know if during this time frame if anyone has seen the "Northern Lights" and which city/ports will be the best to see them...any suggestions, hoping to view them on this trip..

Wow that is an early cruise. I am waiting for the day that the cruise lines make Alaska a year-round cruise destination :D .

I sailed the last week of August 2007 and we saw them one night. But it means staying up late (2am for me) and having clear weather (though some contend cloudy skies are OK too, so I won't argue that point here) and pure luck.

John

This may be a stupid question but are the Northern Lights visible in mid September? thanks

Cottage mama

Not stupid at all but I kind of answered it above when I said I could see them in August which is even earlier than September :)

We live in Alaska, Kenai peninsula area. The northern lights are seen more offen the farther north you go. We don't see them that much, and with what was said above there is more daylight in April.

There will probably still be snow so pack accordingly.;)

In my opinion Fairbanks is the place for superb aurora viewing. :) My winter trips have gone all the way to Seward and definately, correct, better north. :)

But- end of April is too light, so, sorry, unless there is a very unusual, extremely rare, strong display, they won't be viewable.

This may be a stupid question but are the Northern Lights visible in mid September? thanks

Cottage mama

Yes, I have seen them several times. But you really are best to be interior Alaska. I have seen them out of Skagway- more horizonal. Complete luck.

You need dark clear nights, meaning full views of starts and no clouds. Even a full moon can impact greatly.

Cottage mama

it really depends on the weather. It rains a lot in September. So the chance is slim to see northern lights, but not impossible.

it really depends on the weather. It rains a lot in September. So the chance is slim to see northern lights, but not impossible.

That is not true in interior Alaska- Fairbanks. The rain is Inside Passage- definately more likely.

I have traveled several times interior Alaska in Sept, always either land only or northbound cruises.

Hi David!!

We have done Alaskan cruises several times during various months and have yet to see the Northern Lights.

Yonnie

You have to make the effort to see them. I highly recommend DAILY checking the aurora prediction web site. You then need to invest several hours- in proper attire and get out doors, in a DARK area. Cruiseships are tough since they are too lighted. But several have some dark front decks under the bridge. It pays to scout out sites in advance.

Nobody has mentioned that you have to be willing to stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning. On our cruisetour of Alaska/Yukon Aug '07, our friend was up and out walking in Fairbanks at 1:30 am. He saw quite a spectacle. His photos aren't so good, but he was ecstatic that he got to see the Northern Lights. He tried to get my husband and I to stay up with him the next night, but no way, I was in bed sound asleep long before they would have made their appearance.

I was interested in seeing them, until I found out that most of the activity is in the wee hours of the morning.

Good luck on sighting them!

we will be in Alaska in the mid of August. I guess I shouldn't even expect to catch of glimpse of it. oh, well.

It's not common, but it is possible. About 3 years ago we had a good display just north of Skagway on August 15th. And contrary to some other information in this thread, it was visible before 10 p.m. Good luck!

Murray

Also be aware that we are at the lowest time in the 11-year solar cycle at aurora activity is minimal. I have only seen them a couple of times this year in Fairbanks. Even if you have a clear night, there is no guarantee.

I haven't seen them yet this year - after I set up the new hot tub for primo aurora viewing!! :(

It's not common, but it is possible. About 3 years ago we had a good display just north of Skagway on August 15th. And contrary to some other information in this thread, it was visible before 10 p.m. Good luck!

Murray

Murray, that's great! Thank you for such an insight.

We've seen them as early as 7 pm and as late as 7 am. It doesn't have to be after midnight!!!!

One of the most amazing things I've ever seen was flying out one March. The northern lights had been out all night, but somewhere between Anchorage and Seattle, the sun started rising. What an awesome sight to see the northern lights and the sunrise (one of those bright orange ones) at the same time.

Thanks for all the info......I will be at Prince Rupert 5/3....Juneau 5/5.....Skagway 5/7......Icy Strait Point 5/8.....Sitka 5/9.

I am a nite owl.

I will find a dark viewing spot.

Want is the lower end of the cycle......

Happy New Year KK.......:D

I have aurora photos with the sunset, taken around 7pm on one of my March winter trips. You still need darkness.

And I strongly recommend you get OUT of Fairbanks. The displays are no where near as good in the city. With a car, making the effort to drive out, and get in darkness, enhances the color. There is no comparism in my opinion.

If you want to see them, they certainly are well worth the loss of sleep.

As mentioned, I always DAILY consult the predictions. If they aren't active, I never even get out of bed. :)

Thanks for all the info......I will be at Prince Rupert 5/3....Juneau 5/5.....Skagway 5/7......Icy Strait Point 5/8.....Sitka 5/9.

I am a nite owl.

Happy New Year KK.......:D

Sorry, but you essentially have a zero chance of seeing them in May.

I am a nite owl.

:D

I realize it's difficult for people who haven't traveled as far north as Alaska, and who haven't seen the northern lights, to assimilate the information needed to predict when they might see the aurora.

Here is an example for Skagway on May 7, 2008.

Twi A: light

Twi N: 2:15am

Twi: 3:50am

Sunrise: 4:45am

Sunset: 9:09pm

Twi: 10:05pm

Twi N: 11:39pm

Twi A: light

The sun sets basically at 9 and rises right before 5. But notice the 3 different twilight times..."Twi A" is "astronomical twilight" and there is no time given for it -- that is because it doesn't get dark in Skagway on May 7 (unless you have cloud cover, and then you can't see northern lights).

What you do have the possibility of seeing is the longest sunset/sunrise you could ever imagine (although I think you're not quite far enough north and a few days early to see that). You can use this site http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/Alaska.asp to find sunrise, sunset, and the times (and definitions) of 3 kinds of twilight.

Archived