just booked Monarch!

LefseLady

Got the last Junior Suite (1588) on Monarch March 21. Anyone been in this cabin? We noticed that the youth facilities are at that end of the ship...right next to the cabin! EEEK!

Anyone out there booked on this cruise, too? I'll have to register for the CC party. Very excited!

We are sailing Oct. 18. Haven't found any other cruisers. Unfortunately there are no official Meet & Mingles on the Monarch cruises because they are less than 7 days. Hope you can find others on your sailing.

Saw that the kids club is at the aft of deck 10. Our suite is as far away from it as possible.

-Patti :-)

http://www.webshots.com/search?new=1&source=advancedsearch&queryAll=monarch+2003&queryPhrase=Monarch+2003&queryAny=&queryNone=&queryAuthor=pergoguy&querySource=all

We had 1588 on the Monarch last November. We did a back to back..both the 3 night and the 4 night. The cabins are separated from the kids area by the elevators and a large landing for the stairs. Noise was not an issue at all. The cabin was smaller than a standard JS (all the Monarch cabins are smaller than most other ships) but quite comfortable. The balcony was very nice with two chairs and a small side table. We would book 1588 again in a heart beat. It was a very good location. The aft elevators are not used as much so there was never much of a wait.

We very much enjoyed the Monarch. The ship is really botique like and laid out nicely. Would be happy to answer any other questions.

Our photos are kinda goofy but I think there are a few shots in the cabin.

Have a great cruise!

SallyR: We loved your photos (especially the one of the four of you blasted on Tecates in Ensenada). We're sailing on the January 17 four-day, and we also have a JS on the port side. Your photos gave us a good idea of what awaits us. We're hoping it won't be too rainy in January. Four months and counting!

sally r, thanks for the reassurances re: cabin. Sounds like I can put my worrying aside! And your pictures were much appreciated as we just today decided to rent a golf cart to tootle around Catalina. Did you need to reserve ahead of time? We have the phone numbers of the three companies. Which one did you use? Are they similarly located close to the ship?

Noticed that you're from Everett...my Mother's family comes from Silvana, near Stanwood. Love it down there.

I will also be on the Jan. 17 sailing of the Monarch. We have a group of about 40. The prices were so reasonable everyone wanted to go. I splurged and took a GS so we would have room for everyone to meet. I h ave never been on the Monarch so am looking forward to it. We always had fun on the old VIking Serenade so this should even be better. Our cruise before that is on the NCL Star in October.

Lefselady, the golf cart was a blast! There are several places to rent them in town. The prices were all about the same. We shared a four seater with friends and it was $40 total for an hour and a half. No need to reserve ahead. Also, there are rules for the cart rentals. You can only go on designated roads.

They use larger ferry type boats for tendering into Avalon. It goes quickly. Shopping in Avalon was nice, too. Lots of different things.

Try an excursion out to the blow hole while in Ensenada. Go early as it is a long, but interesting, bus ride. There is a nice viewing area, tons of local craft booths and some very good restaurants.

Be aware that the main dining room is very crowded. Too many tables and service can be slow. They pack a lot of passengers on a small ship. The 3 nighter is really crowded. Allow extra time as lines can get long for everything, especially the liquor store.

I will also be on the Jan. 17 sailing of the Monarch. We have a group of about 40. The prices were so reasonable everyone wanted to go. I splurged and took a GS so we would have room for everyone to meet. I h ave never been on the Monarch so am looking forward to it. We always had fun on the old VIking Serenade so this should even be better. Our cruise before that is on the NCL Star in October.

I loved the Viking Serenade, but you'll find that the Monarch is a fabulous substitute. She's much larger and has more to offer than the Viking Serenade did, although the VS was a fabulous ship once you got past the flat front.

Thanks so much for your input everyone! Any advice on a great hotel in L.A. for pre and post cruise? We were looking at Santa Monica for pre-cruise because of the shops and restaurants there, and Beverly Hills for post-cruise. We might opt to do both in Beverly Hills, but not sure. What hotels have you tried and liked? We won't have a car, so need something that is pretty central.

I have taken this cruise many times and I really like the Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor. They have several packages designed just for cruises. They have a drive and cruise package that includes parking. They also have a fly and cruise package that inculdes transportation from LAX to the hotel and back. (Call them directly instead of using the Sheraton reservation number)

Both packages include breakfast and transportation to the ship (to and from) and I believe a bottle of wine on arrival.

The hotel is very nice and there are some very good resturants a short walk away.

I believe the drive and cruise is $150.00 and the fly and cruise package is $200.00.

Don

Hi,

My husband and I just got back from the 4 day cruise on the Monarch. We actually splurged for an "owners" suite, which is also on the 10th floor. Our room number was 1020. I also was on the same cruise with my mom back in March in a JS. Personally, I thought the "owners" suite was overkill for just the 2 of us. But that was the week we wanted to go and they had no more JS available, so said what the H#LL!

Anyway, I was very happy with the location of our JS in March (sorry can't remember the number-although all on the 10th floor). I was very unhappy where they place the "owner" suites!!! It was right below the buffet on the 11th floor. 2 of the 4 nights were miserable for me. Once was for the Mexican buffet served late at night. It wasn't so much the pitter/patter of everyones feet as those in the kitchen getting prepared for meals (floor constantly banging). Difficult to sleep. The room was bigger, but not necessary for the 2 of us. I also tried tipping our steward an extra $20.00 at the beginning of the week hoping for that little bit of special attention....This was my 3rd time at doing this and I will never try it again. I haven't seen any difference in service at all.

We did have a great time with everything else on the ship, (entertainment, gambling, food) so if you have any questions, just let me know.

Chris

p.s. I live in Long Beach, so take these cruises quite a bit. You might also consider staying in Long Beach for your pre/post cruise. Not to far away.

Sally, thanks for posting your Monarch pictures. All taken in our "neck of the woods".

I love the Monarch. Although I missed her wonderful Champagne Bar, (removed for a conference room of all things), I think the renovation she received last year was wonderful.

We've also been on the Vision for the Mexican Rivera and it's a truly wonderful cruise as well.

I hope everyone enjoys the Monarch as much as Jane and I have.

-Bill

I love the Monarch. Although I missed her wonderful Champagne Bar, (removed for a conference room of all things), I think the renovation she received last year was wonderful.

We've also been on the Vision for the Mexican Rivera and it's a truly wonderful cruise as well.

-Bill

I've been on the Monarch 4 times already, all since she repositioed to the west coast. I do remember the Champagne Bar from the Majesty, it was very nice.

I've also been on the Vision and actually prefer the Monarch. The cabins are bigger on the Vision and the Windjammer buffet is a lot nicer even though it has one long serving line compared to the Monarch's different stations.

I just feel more comfortable on the Monarch and feel the crew is about the best of any on RCCL.

I really enjoyed all of my VS cruises too.

Reggie:D

Happy to hear the Monarch is a good ship to go on.. just decided today that I'm going on in November :) Its a last minute vacation ... my brother works on the Monarch right now so we can get a good deal.

Wasn't planning another cruise vacation so soon, but had a deal I couldn't pass up! (Was just on the Navigator in February :) .... I think I'm going to become a cruise addict!)

We are booked on the January 17th sailing, too. We did this trip last November and thought it was great. We're southern Caifornians and didn't get off ship except in Ensenada, and then only because we hadn't been there in several years. We will skip it this time around. We've been on several cruises and everyone on the ship was super-friendly, crew and paying passengers. This won't be our last trip on the Monarch, it is such a good four day getaway. You're going to enjoy it. And now it is almost time to start packing for the Radiance in October, Panama Canal repositioning cruise, our third time through.

Hey, you'll love the Radiance, Catmax, that was our first cruise. I can't imagine any ship being lovelier than that one, but we'll see how Monarch measures up...I know that Vision does the Mexican Riviera route, but I do like the Radiance class ships because of the mini-golf, the Seaview Cafe, Chops and Portofino's, garden-y looking solarium, etc. I wonder if RCI will consider positioning a Radiance class ship on that route. Would like to go, but am hesitant about Vision. The ship pics just look boring in comparison.

Have to get back to the hurricane news...relatives have evacuated safely, though. Do wish those locals just standing around gawking at the waves and drinking beer would get to safer ground. Hope New Orleans is spared too much architectural damage.

There's something to be said for living in the cold, snowy North...

Boring? Boring!! The Vision class is not boring, it is a wonderful size for a cruise ship. Obviously you never sailed on Viking Serenade or Song of America! Those ships were tiny. We really like the Vision class, and we are looking forward to Monarch, which is a Sovereign class ship.

I'm going Nov 8th on the 4 day. (my brother said the 3 day cruise is just one big drunken party .. so he told us to avoid it)

Once I get the flights booked then the trip will seem real .. also have to book a hotel for 2 days in L.A. were going to fly in on Saturday so we have a full day to explore before the cruise.

I can't beleive I'm going on my 2nd cruise, I had LOTS of fun on the Navigator in February. I'm really looking forward to this :)

Pbhunt, calm down! Boring in the sense that, since it doesn't have the alternative restaurants, there are simply fewer choices. There are also fewer choices for physical exercise, something for which my husband would want lots of choices. I think Monarch will be great for the 4-day we're booked on, and I'm looking forward to trying a Sovereign class. But for a 7-day cruise, what do the Vision class ships have to offer that is better than, say, Radiance class? I haven't been on one, so I'm asking. Oh, I DO wish RCI would position a Radiance class ship on the Mexican Riviera route...why haven't they? I want to do that itinerary, but would like to try Serenade, Brilliance, or Jewel.

Archived