Saxman or Totem Bight

mdeane

From photos I've seen, it appears that there are covered, indoor areas at Saxman where people are working on poles, talking story, etc. Totem Bight appears to be only an outdoor park. Can someone confirm? If this is true, I'm leaning towards Saxman, rather than standing out in the rain and cold at Totem Bight listening to a tour guide drone on and on.

From photos I've seen, it appears that there are covered, indoor areas at Saxman where people are working on poles, talking story, etc. Totem Bight appears to be only an outdoor park. Can someone confirm? If this is true, I'm leaning towards Saxman, rather than standing out in the rain and cold at Totem Bight listening to a tour guide drone on and on.

Totem Bight is outdoors. I went last summer and no need for a guide really - I printed out the descriptions from the website and went around on my own. Very easy to navigate on your own. Took the public bus from town to the park, spent an hour there, and took the next bus back to town. Very nice and very inexpensive excursion - just the bus fare which was $1-$2 each way.

John

I have also printed the guide for Totem Bight but with our float plane to Anan Creek being 5 hours, I will be lucky to get to Saxman I am thinking. Would also like to walk at least down Creek STreet.

Totem Bight is primarily an outdoor park with a large number of upright poles. It is very interesting, but indeed in a rain could get chilly. There is a reproduction longhouse, but most of the viewing is outside.

Frequently Totem Bight is combined with the Totem Heritage Center, which is really interesting. It is all indoors and usually there are carvers working. Seeing the two together is a really good lesson in Totem poles.

At Saxman, it begins with a multi media presentation on the history of the village. That is indoors in a theater. Then there is a pretty good walk through the woods to the longhouse for the dance show. The show is inside and very snug and warm. Then there is another pretty good walk to the area where there are a few upright poles, and the carving shed.

I would tend to lean to Totem Bight plus the Totem Heritage Center for a first trip to Alaska.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaska.html

for Totem Bight

and at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

for Saxman.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I give a very detailed description of totem areas in Ketchikan, which may offer you the information you need to see them in town.

You need to allow at least 3 hours for Totem Bight going via city bus. SORRY, but I would not be paying for a costly tour for this free area as recommended above. It is also simple to just walk to the Totem Heritage Museum and pay the small admission charge- around $5.

This is recommended only for those with no mobility limitations certainly. But easily doable for about $6 for the 2 if you plan correctly. You also then have the freedom to make changes if you wish. http://www.city.ketchikan.ak.us/departments/museums/totem.html

You should verify this, but if I remember correctly when we were in Ketchikan in September, we were told that Saxman had authentic totem poles and the other location had reproductions. Not that it will change your enjoyment, but it could make a difference to some. It is interesting to either have a guide or do some reading so you can learn the meaning behind the various carvings, otherwise it doesn't take long just to look at them.

You should verify this, but if I remember correctly when we were in Ketchikan in September, we were told that Saxman had authentic totem poles and the other location had reproductions. Not that it will change your enjoyment, but it could make a difference to some. It is interesting to either have a guide or do some reading so you can learn the meaning behind the various carvings, otherwise it doesn't take long just to look at them.

The Totem Heritage Center near City Park has "the largest collection of original 19th-century totem poles in existence" - according to Frommer's Alaska, and you can walk there. Both Saxman and Totem Bight have reproductions. You can see carvers at work at Saxman.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I enjoyed reading everything. I may just have to play it by ear and see how our times works out. I really do love totem poles. Wish I could bring one back but cost is prohibitive. Myra

We've been to Saxman Village on all three of our Alaska cruises and to Totem Bight on our last cruise whgen we rented a car. If I could only experience one of the two I would definitely pick Saxman Village. According to Cape Fox Tours it has the largest authentic collection of totem poles in the world.

The Totem Heritage Center near City Park has "the largest collection of original 19th-century totem poles in existence" - according to Frommer's Alaska, and you can walk there. Both Saxman and Totem Bight have reproductions. You can see carvers at work at Saxman.

We've been to Saxman Village on all three of our Alaska cruises and to Totem Bight on our last cruise whgen we rented a car. If I could only experience one of the two I would definitely pick Saxman Village. According to Cape Fox Tours it has the largest authentic collection of totem poles in the world.

I assume "authentic" does not mean "original"? They certainly can't be originals and reproductions at Saxman at the same time :D

I assume "authentic" does not mean "original"? They certainly can't be originals and reproductions at Saxman at the same time :D

I assume that when Cape Fox Tours said they have the largest collection of "authentic" totem poles in the world, they meant they are genuine or real. I didn't think they had fake totem poles there!

• 1 month later...

So which park is closer to town? How far/long is the bus ride to Totem? Can you walk to any of the two parks from where the ship docks/tender in? Would it be worth it to just walk around town and see the totem poles around town?

Thanks for your help.

So which park is closer to town? How far/long is the bus ride to Totem? Can you walk to any of the two parks from where the ship docks/tender in? Would it be worth it to just walk around town and see the totem poles around town?

Thanks for your help.

I have the same question, with a twist. We are only in Ketchikan from 10 to 4; and with an 11 a.m. Lumberjack show, followed by lunch, that doesn't give us much time to see totem poles. What can we fit into our schedules with such limited time? Our first time in Ketchikan, we simply walked around the town. This will be our second time in Alaska and in Ketchikan.

BTW, all of the ship's excursions are at basically the same time (starting between 10:30 and 11) in the morning, so there's no way to play it safe and take a ship's excursion in the afternoon. The 11 a.m. Lumberjack show is that only one during our time in port, and we'd like to see that as well as totem poles.

I have the same question, with a twist. We are only in Ketchikan from 10 to 4; and with an 11 a.m. Lumberjack show, followed by lunch, that doesn't give us much time to see totem poles. What can we fit into our schedules with such limited time? Our first time in Ketchikan, we simply walked around the town. This will be our second time in Alaska and in Ketchikan.

BTW, all of the ship's excursions are at basically the same time (starting between 10:30 and 11) in the morning, so there's no way to play it safe and take a ship's excursion in the afternoon. The 11 a.m. Lumberjack show is that only one during our time in port, and we'd like to see that as well as totem poles.

Did you see the totems in the downtown Ketchikan area last trip?? If not there are several. But most Saxman Village tours are only a couple hours, you could definately do a 1pm tour, picked up from the dock visitor center.

Thanks for your help.

You can walk to Saxman, 2.5 miles each way. But I always recommend a tour here, since the commentary is a big part of the totems. Otherwise just stay downtown and look at the totems there. You need to allow 3 hours for Totem Bight, including the round trip city bus.

Archived