Question for nomarfan5, or anyone re Walking Tour on Labadee

The brochure says since it is a tropical walk, participants need to be in good physical shape. Hey, I think I am, but I'm 67! Is it level or do you climb hills on dirt paths etc.? Is any part of the walk in the shade or can I count on being in the sun the whole time? (with lots of bottles of water). I'd hate to go there and not know anything about the history, so would like to take this tour if I am physically able! Any input would be welcome. Thanks

I have crappy knees and hips and I walked the same paths the tours took with no problems. There is one incline but it wasn't that bad. I would carry a bottle of water with you but if you really don't want to you don't have to.

Labadee is really, really small and the walking tour only takes you on a small portion of it. You do go up some steps and there is a lot of uneven ground, but you have to go through that by just getting off at Labadee to begin with. It's definitely not a tour for a wheel chair, but otherwise, if you can walk up stairs you'll be fine. There are no mountains or big hills.

I enjoyed it because I liked learning some of the history of the island. I'm sure some here wouldn't find the history of the island or buildings worth the money...but I did. I'm one of those rare people who like to learn things on vacation...

My sixty-four year old husband really enjoyed the tour, not for the "walk" but for the history and cultural, political and economic insights given by the tour guide. Of course, I do not know if the current tour guide is the same or as informative.

The tour is early in the morning or mid-morning so it isn't the hottest time of day, but it can still be pretty darned hot, especially in summer months.

I'm very much like Dianna in VA, in that I really enjoy learning the history of an area and read many history books every year, though mostly US Civil War books. I was unable to join this tour because I had just gotten out of an ankle cast, but Hubby passed on some of the things he was told and I found it interesting.

As for whether the cost is worth the tour, that totally depends on the person. Recently when someone asked me what books I have enjoyed reading this year, I told them how much I enjoyed a couple of history books and they recoiled, telling me they never read history.

If culture and history are not of interest to someone at Labadee, the tour may indeed not be worth the cost. Maybe the views and photo ops would be fun, but that can be done for free.

Archived