Rum Point or Seven Mile Beach?

travgurl

We rented a car and spent to day at Rum Point. We also stopped along 7 Mile Beach. Rum Point was very tranquil and offered glass bottom boat rides. We also stopped at the Botanical Gardens. My vote would go to Rum Point.

Nativeway offers Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour which receives good reviews for $60 which includes lunch. You can find more info about them on this board.

Alright, which one should we go to for the day while at port? Please advise. Thanks.

Your sailing has 9 hours in port, plenty of time for Rum Point & 7MB. Taxi is the most expensive option by far. If you're adventurous rent a car, if not take an organized trip.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys that have been to Rum Point, do you know if we can buy us a cooler with rum, ice, etc, and head to the beach in a rental car. Do they allow it on the beach?

Rum Point asks that no outside food or beverage be brought to the premises. There are several signs to that effect.

There is no charge to enter the property or to use the beach chairs. There are nice clean bathrooms which include full showers to clean up with before you go. The property employs a staff to maintain the grounds and clean the facility. They depend upon sales of food and beverage, gift shop items, and watersports activities to fund the operation.

What sort of watersports do are available at Rum Point? We've briefly talked about renting Jetskis or going parasailing.. would those need to be booked ahead of time? Do you know if there is a company that typically runs them off or near the beach?

Thanks in advance :)

No parasailing off Rum Point. Parasailing is only available off Seven Mile Beach.

At Rum Point you can rent snorkeling equipment, waverunners, kayaks, a sailboat, or pedal boat (trike). If your scehdule permits, they run a stingray sandbar tour from Rum Point.

I am looking into the RR&R tour thru Native Way. Is is safe to have a drink with ice there? You hear horror stories about people getting sick and everyone says don't have any drinks with water or ice, but jeeeze....I want a yummy rum drink!!

I visit Grand Cayman a half a dozen times a year, and drink tap water (from a cistern) the entire time I'm there. I've never had a problem.

Cayman isn't like Mexico, where you have to watch what you eat and drink all the time...it's very safe and clean.

Rum Point asks that no outside food or beverage be brought to the premises. There are several signs to that effect.

There is no charge to enter the property or to use the beach chairs. There are nice clean bathrooms which include full showers to clean up with before you go. The property employs a staff to maintain the grounds and clean the facility. They depend upon sales of food and beverage, gift shop items, and watersports activities to fund the operation.

Thanks so much for the info. Do you know by chance what company runs the watersport activities?

Also, if we are driving there from the cruise ship, any other must sees along the way?

Thanks so much for the info. Do you know by chance what company runs the watersport activities?

Also, if we are driving there from the cruise ship, any other must sees along the way?

I am looking into the RR&R tour thru Native Way. Is is safe to have a drink with ice there? You hear horror stories about people getting sick and everyone says don't have any drinks with water or ice, but jeeeze....I want a yummy rum drink!!

The water at Rum Point is produced on-site by a reverse osmosis system and fed into two large cisterns under the main restaurant building (not the bar!). There are automatic mechanisms for adding the small amount of chlorine necessary. Conductivity checks are done regularly to ensure the whole process is running smoothly.

The net result is that the water is as clean, or cleaner, than what you drink at home. It has to be. After all, blender drinks are the specialty at Rum Point.

Rum Point is awesome. We spent the day there last month (12/30/07). We also found a Beautiful beach called Star Fish Beach. It was one of our best "finds" during our week on the island!!

Star Fish Beach is officially called "Ivory Kai Point". There is no sign that says Starfish Beach. Just before Rum Point you hang a left and follow signs to Kaibo Yacht Club. (There will be a fork in the road just before the yacht club. Keep following the sign to the yacht club - you will take the right fork.)

Go past the yacht club to the end of the road. You will be driving down a very quiet road. Ivory Kai Point is on your left I believe. There is a portico (archway) that you drive through. The words "Ivory Kai Point" are on the portico on the right side but it is almost hidden by overgrowth. Drive through the portico and you will find yourself in a dead end circle/cul-de-sac. Park the car half way around the "circle" on the sand/dirt. The beach is directly in front. It is BEAUTIFUL! If you don't see any starfish, just walk out a bit and look around. The starfish will be at the bottom, just pick them up and bring them to the surface. They don't bite, LOL. Just be careful handling them and don't take them out of the water for more than a couple of seconds. We found at least 10. We also saw a small stingray. There was only one other family there. We relaxed on our private beach, then went to Rum Point for drinks in a hammock. We snorkeled here and just relaxed. Pictures at link:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1276010

Thanks so much for posting this. We've been to Cayman a few time on cruises, and lets face it, once you've done the stingrays, once is enough. This tiem we are renting a jeep and heading to rum point, stopping wherever. This sounds AWESOME!! Exactly the kind of tip I've been trolling these boards for!!

Rum Point is awesome. We spent the day there last month (12/30/07). We also found a Beautiful beach called Star Fish Beach. It was one of our best "finds" during our week on the island!!

Star Fish Beach is officially called "Ivory Kai Point". There is no sign that says Starfish Beach. Just before Rum Point you hang a left and follow signs to Kaibo Yacht Club. (There will be a fork in the road just before the yacht club. Keep following the sign to the yacht club - you will take the right fork.)

Go past the yacht club to the end of the road. You will be driving down a very quiet road. Ivory Kai Point is on your left I believe. There is a portico (archway) that you drive through. The words "Ivory Kai Point" are on the portico on the right side but it is almost hidden by overgrowth. Drive through the portico and you will find yourself in a dead end circle/cul-de-sac. Park the car half way around the "circle" on the sand/dirt. The beach is directly in front. It is BEAUTIFUL! If you don't see any starfish, just walk out a bit and look around. The starfish will be at the bottom, just pick them up and bring them to the surface. They don't bite, LOL. Just be careful handling them and don't take them out of the water for more than a couple of seconds. We found at least 10. We also saw a small stingray. There was only one other family there. We relaxed on our private beach, then went to Rum Point for drinks in a hammock. We snorkeled here and just relaxed. Pictures at link:

Thanks Raydar for the traveling instructions to the Starfish Beach. We'll be renting a car in the Caymans in a few weeks and will be heading to Rum Point and the QE Botanical Gardens, so we'll make a stop here also. I've never seen red starfish before! Thanks again for your post!

Star Fish Beach is officially called "Ivory Kai Point".

And, technically, it's private property...I've heard rumours that the owner plans to develop it at some point, so don't be surprised if you show up and there's all sorts of construction going on... :)

thanks soo much for the info wife & i will be there i feb. great pictures!

Archived