Hotel recommendation for pre cruise

oratihsus

Hello,

My husband and I are going to San Juan before our Princess cruise in Feb/2008. We are arriving one day before the cruise and want to find a place to stay. Something not over the top. Is there any recommendation for hotel/place to stay? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kate

for me it was a difference of about $180 , and that buys a lot of drinks or excursions....

It is high season then, and most of the resorts are asking for over $300 and with taxes (25%) that get really expensive...

Jan

Here is some info on Da House (it includes a link to their site)

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/04/da-house-hotel-in-old-san-juan-puerto-rico/

I have never stayed there, but it has been mentioned in the New York times travel section http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/travel/15frugal.html?8dpc

I do believe that it gets nosiey late, so if you are looking for a quite place to sleep, it's probably not for you.

Have you checked the Holiday Inn in Isla Verde? Again, never stayed there, but have seen that it gets OK reviews from people.

Don't forget to check out Old san Juan or El Yunque rainforest when you are here.

Coqui @ http://www.visit-the-coqui.com

Are there any hotels that are budget friendly that would be more quiet? I am looking for a hotel to stay at for only one night before the cruise. I'm not looking for anything special, just a nice quiet place near the airport or cruise port where we can relax and get a good nights sleep before our cruise. I don't mind paying more I just don't see the point when the only thing we are going to do is sleep.:)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last year for one night pre-cruise. It was a great place to stay. It is in the north end of the Condado area. It is not a very long drive from the airport or the port. There are restaurants close by and a Walgreen about 2-3 blocks to the south. It is located just off the main drag that runs parallel to the beach. The beach is about 1/2 block away. The hotel is very clean and well run and very reasonably priced. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were on the small side but we managed to fit our family of four comfortably. They have a small but pleasant pool and a very nice complimentary continental breakfast. I would definately stay there again. We had a great experience there! You should look for reviews on tripadvisor dot com. That is how I found this place. They have candid photos and traveler reviews. I find the site immensely helpful.

I put this on our roll call, but check it out...it is in old town and it can be noisy, but not expensive and again it is only one night.....depends if you are night folks or not...

Jan

http://dahousehotelpr.com/

Hi Jan,

When will you be in San Juan. We have a party of 7 heading to San Juan March 14th... sailing on March 15th on Crown Princess... what is the pricing at this hotel ... someone suggested we look at Howard Johnson.. We are with you as far as pricing is concerned. Hotel prices are incredible in San Juan...

Cheers,

Louise (fellow Canuck)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last year for one night pre-cruise. It was a great place to stay. It is in the north end of the Condado area. It is not a very long drive from the airport or the port. There are restaurants close by and a Walgreen about 2-3 blocks to the south. It is located just off the main drag that runs parallel to the beach. The beach is about 1/2 block away. The hotel is very clean and well run and very reasonably priced. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were on the small side but we managed to fit our family of four comfortably. They have a small but pleasant pool and a very nice complimentary continental breakfast. I would definately stay there again. We had a great experience there! You should look for reviews on tripadvisor dot com. That is how I found this place. They have candid photos and traveler reviews. I find the site immensely helpful.

Thank you so much for the information. I will definately look into it. The Holiday Inn Express sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Thanks Again!! :o

Hi Jan,

When will you be in San Juan. We have a party of 7 heading to San Juan March 14th... sailing on March 15th on Crown Princess... what is the pricing at this hotel ... someone suggested we look at Howard Johnson.. We are with you as far as pricing is concerned. Hotel prices are incredible in San Juan...

Cheers,

Louise (fellow Canuck)

$80-120 per night for 2 people go to the online reservations on tthe web page and check availablity and rates...I am in San Juan Feb 15

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton for $130 through hotwire. Great hotel, great location.

We are interested in this hotel for our August cruise. Which star rating did you use to get the Caribe? Also, do you remember what the food pricing was like, i.e., the breakfast buffet and dinner?

Thanks.

We just booked one night precruise at "Da House" hotel in Old San Juan. What a great deal. We booked the Caleta House, which is a separate apt. For 6 people. on a Saturday night Feb. 10 2008, for $160.00 US. I think this a great price for one night in San Juan. Especially, considering how many people we are. They have 2 bedrooms each with queen size beds, and a full size futon in the living room. It sure beats sitting in the airport for 7 hours, our plane gets into SJU at 12:30am., or paying $300.00 at some other hotel downtown.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn which is right next to the Holiday Inn. It was ok. Cheapest thing I could find that looked half way decent. If I had to do over I would probably stay at Holiday Inn. One good thing about Comfort Inn is I stayed 1 night before cruise and 1 night after so I earned a free night stay at another Comfort Inn for later this year. I will say one thing, it was clean just older and elevator slow. Lady at front desk was very nice. Close to beach too. Also had kind of a mildew smell in our room. We were on the fifth level. Straight off the elevator. Room 502 I believe. I would stay here again if the Comfort Inn is cheaper than the Holiday Inn. The Sheraton looks like a great place to stay because you could walk to the cruise ship. Taxi to the Cruise Ship from hotel was around $15.00. Also, we walked down to the Chilis Restaraunt, it was really good. Happy Cruising!!!!:)

Ants Girl,

I will write a review of the Caleta house when I return from PR. It seems to be a decent place for the price. Located right in Old San Juan near El Morro. And to find one place that can accommodate 6 people, works well with me.

We are interested in this hotel for our August cruise. Which star rating did you use to get the Caribe? Also, do you remember what the food pricing was like, i.e., the breakfast buffet and dinner?

Thanks.

I got the Caribe on Priceline. I bid on a resort level hotel.

Food at the hotel is expensive, however there is a Subway across the street and plenty of restaurants a short cab ride away. I didn't price the breakfast buffet but I did look at the Italian restauarant and dinner entrees were in the $20-$35 range. From what I remember, this was one of the cheaper restaurants.

We're booked at the Hotel Milano in Old San one for one night in March. Rates are a lot lower than some of the other hotels in the area, and it has some good comments on the boards and from people we've talked to.

http://www.hotelmilanopr.com

We' figured we'd rather stay in Old San Juan than out at one of the resort locations so we can just spend a couple hours the night we get in and the following morning walking around town before we head over to the port (we're sailing out of the Pan Am pier across the harbor from Old San Juan).

Last year we stayed a couple of nights pre-cruise at El Convento- it was great and I'd really recommend it - especially if you're staying a couple days, but it is on the expensive side. Didn't want to spend as much this year with a late arrival and leaving the next day.

We stayed at the Comfort inn in Condado. Nothing fancy but clean and had a breakfast and they would store our luggage - and only $108 plus tax. Only a block from the ocean and lots of places to eat within a block to two. Walgreens within 3 blocks for last minute items. It is a block from the city bus - for $0.75 you can take the city bus to Old San Juan.

• 3 weeks later...
Lsimon,

How were you able to score at the Milano for only one night? Everytime I go to book they are requiring a two night minimum. I would really like to stay at this hotel.

thanks

Tiffany

I just called them up and asked and they took the reservation.

Thanks.

We just got the Caribe Hilton for our post cruise 3/15-3/17 for $115 p/n + taxes. I just kept adding areas which I knew didn't have resorts and kept adding $5. It was finally accepted when I ran out of areas. lOL

Archived