Medications and TSA rules

Nebr.cruiser

I use three different types of eye drops for glaucoma and want to pack them in my carry-on luggage because I don't want to risk being without in case our bags get lost. I also have a liquid nose spray for allergies (Nasonex) that I need to bring, but I could get along if it was lost.

They are in very tiny (1 inch) bottles. Will these count as my three allowed 3 oz. or smaller liquids? In other words, if I have all three of the eyedrops along, does that mean I can't bring any other liquids or gel? (Hand lotion, etc.)

If not, I can probably get my husband to carry them, since I can't think of anything he would want to bring along like that; I just wanted to know how to pack our carry-ons.

There is no limit to the quantity of containers containing liquids - you are not limited to 3. Instead, you are limited to containers that are no more than 3 oz. or 100 ml. You can take as many of these containers as will fit in a 1 quart ziplock bag. Each person traveling can have one bag.

Medications are not included in this rule. You are allowed to carry on medication in any size. Medications in containers larger than 3 oz. are to be declared at security. Just tell the screener. It sounds like your containers are smaller than 3 oz. so don't worry about telling anyone about them. NEVER pack medications - even those you can "live without". You are well within your rights and the regulations to carry on medication.

So, go ahead and take your three bottles of eyedrops and your allergy medication. Then fill the rest of the 1 quart ziplock with the rest of your associated lotions and potions. Have your husband put the rest of the stuff you need in his 1 quart bag and you are all set.

You can check out what is allowed and what is not on the TSA website. Go to www.tsa.gov and click on the "For Travelers" link on the top of the page. It will give you the latest and greatest information. You might want to print out the appropriate pages detailing the regulations and have them handy in case a TSA screener decides to make up new rules (which unfortunately happens from time to time).

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much for your quick and concise reply. That takes care of one worry; we haven't flown since the 'new' rules took place.

For some reason I thought you were limited to three 3 oz. containers in the quart bag; all I really need is hand lotion, so I'll be set to go. Good news (and of course it makes sense) on the medications.

You're very welcome.

The name of the new rule is 3-1-1 which is where you might have gotten confused. The name comes from:

3 - No larger than 3 oz. containers

1 - Must fit in a 1 quart ziplock

1 - One bag per traveler

For easy screening, place the bag in the outer pocket of your carry-on bag so you can quickly remove it during screening. Put it in the bin where you are going to put your shoes and coat. Put the bag on top of those articles. Though, I have to admit, on occasion I have forgotten to remove the bag from my carry-on and nobody said anything. Perhaps they could see the size of the bottles in the x-ray or maybe they didn't see anything. But in any event, if you forget to remove the bag from your carry-on, don't worry about and just keep going through the security area. It's not a big deal if you don't remove it.

Unless you're flying through Heathrow. I had a small bottle of hand lotion (from the cruise ship) coming back to the states and left it in my carry one by mistake - I had to wait nearly 45 minutes for security to come and check it out (only took a minute once they arrived though). They were only doing their job, of course, but I'd never taken the hand lotion out before. Now I will! Thank goodness we had lots of time to make our flight.

Charlie

Medications are not included in this rule. You are allowed to carry on medication in any size. Medications in containers larger than 3 oz. are to be declared at security. Just tell the screener. It sounds like your containers are smaller than 3 oz. so don't worry about telling anyone about them. NEVER pack medications - even those you can "live without". You are well within your rights and the regulations to carry on medication.

And the medication rule applies to OTC ones as well. And I always include my contact saline in with the medication (so I have a little more room in my baggie for other stuff) and it went through several airports and no one batted an eye. DS uses liquid Claritin and it's in a 4oz bottle, so in with the medication in went. Just point the medication bag (or bags) out to the screening personel FIRST before putting it in your tub and running it through.

And the medication rule applies to OTC ones as well. And I always include my contact saline in with the medication (so I have a little more room in my baggie for other stuff) and it went through several airports and no one batted an eye. DS uses liquid Claritin and it's in a 4oz bottle, so in with the medication in went. Just point the medication bag (or bags) out to the screening personel FIRST before putting it in your tub and running it through.

I "tested" this out on our last trip to the mainland with 16oz bottles of Costco's generic contact solution. I had one bottle that was getting down there on its contents in my carry-on and one full bottle (in case the first one didn't make it) in my checked bag. While they did look at the one in my carry-on, they let it pass both going out of Honolulu and coming back out of LAX.

Each bottle must be 3oz or less, not three oz total for all your meds. I travel with my allergy and asthma medications, and I've not been stopped.

This is only if you pack your medication with your other liquids and gels in the 3-1-1 rule (toiletry stuff). The meds can be more than 3 oz if they are in a separate bag with only medications.

And as for saline, I have packed the larger bottles before, but now I just go to my optometrist's office before a trip and pick up a sample box or two (it has the 2oz saline in it). They get them free from the reps, and I've never known of any office not freely handing them out. I work in a building with some opthalmologists that I have never used, and because I waited until the last minute to go to my doctor, I asked them and they handed three over, no questions asked. I still put it in the medication bag because I need all the room I can get in my other one!

Since DH takes so many medications, we put all those bottles in one medical bag and leave it in our carry-on. In another medical bag we have the OTC medcines that we might need on a cruise as well as some medicines (in their bottles) that our doctor feels we should have in case either of us gets an URI - that bag also stays in our carry-on.

But DH has to have nose spray - that we put in a quart bag along with a once bottle of cologne for me (for traveling). We place this bag right on top of my purse where the security people can see it.

You can have one bag of non-medications and as many bags as necessarty of medications ? I thought you could only have one quart-size bag for all liquids, gels and aerosols. :confused:

I don't know if they limit you on the number of bags for liquid/gel/lotion medictions (OTC and prescription), but they do not count against the 3-1-1 rule bag for toiletries.

direct from www.tsa.gov :

TSA's checkpoint security screening procedures for persons with disabilities and medical conditions have not changed as a result of the current threat situation. All disability-related equipment, aids, and devices continue to be allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening.

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

• All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
  • Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening.

Archived