Getting off the ship

R&R sail again

We are going on a 10 day Panama cruise. When we return to FLL we are staying another night so not in a hurry to get off. My questions are: if they put us in the brown group (say) that leaves at 8:30 am, can we just stay longer? If we can stay until the last group gets off, what do you do with your suitcases (leave in the room - does that bother the stewart with his cleaning?) Just need to know the correct procedure when you are in no hurry to get off the Volendam!!! :) Thanks for your help.

We are going on a 10 day Panama cruise. When we return to FLL we are staying another night so not in a hurry to get off. My questions are: if they put us in the brown group (say) that leaves at 8:30 am, can we just stay longer? If we can stay until the last group gets off, what do you do with your suitcases (leave in the room - does that bother the stewart with his cleaning?) Just need to know the correct procedure when you are in no hurry to get off the Volendam!!! :) Thanks for your help.

On HAL you check off which time you want to leave. Check off the last group.

Unless HAL has started an "Express Disembarkation", you will place your luggage in the hallway on the last night. It's collected by the stewards

and then arranged in the port building for coollection by you in the morning.

Recommendation: Taxi lines can be long. Have a porter take your bags.

he will take you directly to taxi. That deserves a nice tip.

You can stay on board till the last group is called. No one will force you

to leave. I believe HAL still permits passengers to stay in their stateroom

until leaving. If that's stll true, may I suggest you leave your cabin early

and use the Lido area or a lounge to wait in until disembarking. The steward has enough hassle on turnaround day.

Have a great cruise. Watching the locks operate is a unique experience.

You'll enjoy it.

You won't have your bags (except carry-ons) on disembarkation morning. The Express disembarkation people wheeling their own bags go very early (usually starting around 7:30a) and everybody else's luggage is placed out in the hallway before midnight of the night before, taken off during the night, and sorted on the dock by color/number code for you to claim.

Whatever color/number you get, you can stay in your cabin until that is called. At that time, if you would like to stay longer, I suggest you go to a public area in order to give the steward the opportunity to get into your room for turn-around. They only have about five hours maximum to do about 15 rooms each, and if most people is your area are lingering in their rooms until 10:30a (usually the time of the last group called) that would reduce his time per room to about 12 minutes!

EDIT: sorry to duplicate much of what you said, Stevesan. We were typing at the same time apparently! :D

HAL has express disembarkation. Guests carry their own luggage off with them. They are the very first to disembark.....that being the incentive to lug your own 'stuff'.

Check off last disembarkation when they distribute the form. Assuming Volendam's debark goes as customary that morning, you should expect to leave the ship by about 9:30 or so.

Can you check off the last time and NOT put any luggage outside? I mean, I consider all our luggage "carry-on" for a cruise, since we have no trouble handling it all ourselves.

(We're going to have to handle it all during the flight to embarkation point anyhow, even if it isn't all "carry-on" for an airplane).

Can you check off the last time and NOT put any luggage outside? I mean, I consider all our luggage "carry-on" for a cruise, since we have no trouble handling it all ourselves.
I don't think anyone would force you or your luggage to stay on the ship, but you would get lots of "dirty looks" from other people ... including me ... if you did such a thing. The system is set up the way it is so that you don't have the havoc of 1300 to 1900 people (depending on the ship) trying to get their baggage through the hallways and down the elevators in a short period of time. If you want to handle your own bags, fine. We do when take a cruise from Florida. But get an Express pass, get up early, and get off with the others that are doing the same thing, and not be a nuisance to the majority of the passengers.

All Express passengers are called first - on all of our recent cruises that was around 8:15. The reason why they are called first is because some of them are carrying off a TON of luggage and once 2 or 3 people get into an elevator with all their bags, they completely fill it up. Thus it sometimes can take a while to get these express people off the ship.

On our recent Ryndam cruise, within 15 minutes of the Express people being called, another group was called - we were among the second group as we were in a suite. It was nearly impossible to get an elevator as some of the Express people were still trying to get elevators and those elevators that did come were full.

We watched a couple of men dragging huge suitcases down the stairs because they couldn't get an elevator.

But would we really be a nuisance if we were aiming to be among the LAST off the ship?

What I would like to do on Saturday morning is get up at my leisure, havea nice leisurely last breakfast, and then take my time packing. I don't want to have to pack everything the night before.

Not possible? Not reasonable?

But would we really be a nuisance if we were aiming to be among the LAST off the ship?

What I would like to do on Saturday morning is get up at my leisure, havea nice leisurely last breakfast, and then take my time packing. I don't want to have to pack everything the night before.

You would not be NUISANCE to anyone. You have clearly described your baggage as carry-on baggage. EVERY Person has carry on baggage. It does not bother anyone whatsoever how someone else handles their own baggage. People have other things on their mind, like getting to the airport, claiming their bags, finding a taxi, etc. Please don't be deterred by others cc comments re: How you should handle your baggage. It's no one elses business ...... do as you please, you won't bother anyone else.;) Jer the Bear in AZ ;)

I would say not reasonable. Not considerate of others. Don't you think almost EVERYONE would like to "get up at my leisure, havea nice leisurely last breakfast, and then take my time packing." ? Why do you need to "pack everything the night before"? Most cruises have a sea day on the last or next-to-last day before disembarkation. Can't you do most of your packing in a slack time on that day? Better yet, pack over the last three days ... or the whole cruise: whenever you are done with using an item put it in your suitcase that night and push it back under the bed! By the last night you'll have a nearly empty closet.

I would say not reasonable. Not considerate of others. Don't you think almost EVERYONE would like to "get up at my leisure, havea nice leisurely last breakfast, and then take my time packing." ?

Well, I have no idea. I've never done this before. From other posts it sounded as if most people like to have someone else handle their luggage, and like to be off the ship quickly so as to catch a plane or whatever.

If in fact everyone wants get off at 9:30 and carry their own luggage, then I could see the problem. That is why I am asking now instead of just doing it. I have no wish to be inconsiderate.

Why do you need to "pack everything the night before"? Most cruises have a sea day on the last or next-to-last day before disembarkation. Can't you do most of your packing in a slack time on that day? Better yet, pack over the last three days ... or the whole cruise: whenever you are done with using an item put it in your suitcase that night and push it back under the bed! By the last night you'll have a nearly empty closet.

We don't actually have a sea day after the 2nd day of our cruise -- the last 4 days are all port days. I'll be putting dirty clothes in the laundry bag so I won't have THAT much to pack, but I'd say that our toiletries, books, nightclothes, etc. -- especially if we use our own robes -- probably take up the bulk of our suitcase when we travel in the summer.

We don't travel that heavily. I am not sure what you are envisioning here. For three people in the summer we generally have two rolling suitcases and three bookbag/backpacks, plus maybe a laptop briefcase or another small hand-carried piece.

I suppose we could put out ONE suitcase the night before. Will that really make such a big difference? If we don't keep one suitcase with us, we'll be lugging nightgowns and pajamas and such along with us the next morning anyhow. Plus swimsuits and cover-ups that need the night to dry. I really don't like packing sopping wet swimsuits in a laundry bag.

What do most people do? Squeeze all those into their bookbags? Keep one large-ish carryon roller bag for that stuff? We might actually manage with one large and one small suitcase anyhow, given that it will be summer, as long as we don't bring our own robes.

We watched a couple of men dragging huge suitcases down the stairs because they couldn't get an elevator.

It hadn't actually occurred to me that I'd be using an elevator for the luggage. I just haven't gotten the complete picture of the size of this vessel yet. . The last few times I was on a ship of any size, I never used the elevators, if there even were any. Not sure the Scotia Prince even had them. We were expected to handle our own luggage up and down a couple of flights of narrow steps along with all the other passengers at exactly the same time of day, and we all managed.

they will most likely have everyone off ship by 9:30. Since you are staying over, you will have a problem unless you can check in early or use a cabana. I suggest going with the flow- leave luggage night before, be in last group, and leisurely leave ship at 9:30 or so. Then rely on hotel to handle everything thereafter

harry

they will most likely have everyone off ship by 9:30. Since you are staying over, you will have a problem unless you can check in early or use a cabana.

Check-in after this particular cruise will be in my own home. We have early check-in privileges :). We'll probably just take public transportation unless it is raining hard, so no need for a taxi either.

Please think of the steward who needs to get in to clean your cabin. The arriving guests will be ever so happy to find a clean, neat, made up room ready for them when they arrive.

Often, No One.....NO ONE including returning crew will be allowed to board until you leave the ship. All the guests who are arriving and ready to start their cruise would be most appreciative to those whose cruise is over if they leave when requested so the ship can be cleaned and readied for them to start their vacation.

I do not think it reasonable to start packing disembarkation morning after having had your last breakfast. It would be so much better if you did like the rest of us and got your packing done before you go to bed the last night of your cruise.

We also cruise from our home port but are among the first off when our cruise is over. When it is over, it is over and it is the next group's turn to have the ship ready for them.

JMHO, of course.

You would not be NUISANCE to anyone. You have clearly described your baggage as carry-on baggage. EVERY Person has carry on baggage. It does not bother anyone whatsoever how someone else handles their own baggage. People have other things on their mind, like getting to the airport, claiming their bags, finding a taxi, etc. Please don't be deterred by others cc comments re: How you should handle your baggage. It's no one elses business ...... do as you please, you won't bother anyone else.;) Jer the Bear in AZ ;)
If everyone, or nearly everyone, took your attitude it would be absolute chaos trying to get 1900 people off a ship "leisurely" between 9:00a and 10:30a!! :eek: :eek: I have no problem with anyone shlepping their own luggage. As I said before, I do it myself when when we cruise out of a Florida port. But do it WITH THE EXPRESS DISEMBARKATION GROUP EARLY and not when you're blocking the majority of the people. :mad: An elevator may hold 9 to 12 people ... or 1/3 of that with their luggage. Therefore, it takes three times as many elevator trips ... and three times as long ... to get everyone hauling their own stuff off. Be considerate, not selfish.

We were expected to handle our own luggage up and down a couple of flights of narrow steps along with all the other passengers at exactly the same time of day, and we all managed.
That's one of the differences between a small ship and a large one. You wouldn't "all manage" on a large ship. Our one RCI cruise, where nearly 2000 people handled their own luggage, showed me what a zoo it can be.

I do not think it reasonable to start packing disembarkation morning after having had your last breakfast. It would be so much better if you did like the rest of us and got your packing done before you go to bed the last night of your cruise.

I still think perhaps we are envisioning two different things. The vast majority of my packing time consists of closing up and thoroughly drying toothpaste, razors, shampoo, soap, etc. etc. Clothes are trivial -- whenever we do it, it will take us 5 minutes. So unless people are not expected to shower and brush their teeth in the morning, I'm going to be doing the bulk of OUR packing the morning of disembarkation no matter what.

If I need to put out our lone packed suitcase the night before in order to allow us time to shower, dress, and eat the next day, then that is what I will do.

I still think perhaps we are envisioning two different things. The vast majority of my packing time consists of closing up and thoroughly drying toothpaste, razors, shampoo, soap, etc. etc. Clothes are trivial -- whenever we do it, it will take us 5 minutes. So unless people are not expected to shower and brush their teeth in the morning, I'm going to be doing the bulk of OUR packing the morning of disembarkation no matter what.
Great! Please be ready to leave by 7:30a, with your X pass in hand!

Originally Posted by Two if by Sea

...... I'm going to be doing the bulk of OUR packing the morning of disembarkation no matter what.

So why ask us? :confused:

You said you did not fathom the size of these vessels but to even think in terms of the Scotia Prince vessel is so out of the same league there is no comparison. It's like a row boat by comparison.

You did not mention which ship you are on but "S" class ships (which are HAL's smallest - after the unique Prinsendam) are 55,000+ tons. They are about 10 stories high and carry 1,250+ guests. The "R" class ships are slightly larger and the Vistas are in the range of 82,000 tons. These are very LARGE vessels and carry about 1,850 guests. That does not include crew. Imagine the chaos if everyone simply did what they wanted when they wanted??? :eek:

I think it would be great if you glance at one of HAL's brochures or at least the website to grasp the sort of ship you are planning to sail.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression of my preparation for this cruise. I have seen the brochures and pored over them in detail. I know that it's a big ship. I still am having trouble envisioning whether we will need elevators or not for our luggage. I hope you can understand that until you've been there, it's hard to picture things! I'm TRYING hard to learn!

As for when to get off -- I am trying to reconcile various things I've heard, which is why I am asking questions.

On the one hand, I've heard that it's okay to stay in your cabin until you're ready to leave -- in fact, HAL as opposed to many ships appears to encourage it. Therefore, I hope you will pardon me if I assume it is okay.

On the other hand, I had heard about this issue of being asked to leave your luggage outside. My impression until this thread had been that that was in order to take advantage of the luggage service that they provide. I honestly had no idea that there was any sort of congestion issue in the hallways.

So the purpose of my questions was to figure out whether we really need to leave luggage outside if we're prepared to deal with it all ourselves, and how much of it we really need to leave outside, and how people deal with the leftover items.

From the answers here, I am beginning to get a picture of the situation, and I thank you for them.

I still do have one unanswered question that would help me sort out the rest of the picture. What DO people do in the morning with their night things and toiletries? Carry them off in a tote bag? Keep one reasonable-sized carry-on along with their personal items, and leave just the large suitcases (which for us would be ONE suitcase) outside the room? Do without and walk off grungy?

What I would like to do on Saturday morning is get up at my leisure, havea nice leisurely last breakfast,

If you get up too leisurely, you won't have breakfast at all, usually service stops at 8am.....

Fortunately for us we go to a hotel so we are able to pack those overnight items in a carry-on.

But if we were to fly out on the same day, we would have a big problem.

Probably we would have to quickly pack our toiletries in a suitcase at the airport right before we checked our luggage - especially now that there are so many new rules about the size of containers and what you are allowed in your carry-on luggage.

You're right, HAL permits guests to remain in cabins until their numbers are called and they are asked to leave. It isn't exactly, 'when they want to leave'. When your number is called you really are expected to leave.

As to what to do with overnight/ morning items. Most of us (particularly if we are flying home that day), keep a carryon with us to hold these items. When I am disembarking in our home port city and a car company is meeting us at the ship to take us home, I put those last minute items in a small canvas tote. Sometimes the tote HAL gives all of us is sufficient. Usually I put them in our rollaboard style carryons.

I hope the responses in this thread have been helpful to you and you have a great cruise.

You're right, HAL permits guests to remain in cabins until their numbers are called and they are asked to leave.

As to what to do with their overnight/early morning items. Most of us (particularly if we are flying home that day), keep a carryon with us to hold these items. When I am disembarking in our home port city and a car company is meeting us at the ship and driving us home, I put those last minute items in a small canvas tote. Sometimes the tote HAL gives all of us is sufficient. Usually I put them in our rollaboard style carryons.

I hope the responses in this thread have been helpful to you and you have a great cruise.

Archived