Car Rental in Germany & Car Insurance

roothy123

I know there are advantages and disadvantages to renting a car in Germany versus taking the train. However, I think I'd like to rent a car. That being said, I was wondering what the insurance situation is like for an American renting a car in Germany (Nuremberg). My husband rented a car in France, but I don't remember what we did, although I think we just used a credit card that supposedly provided coverage. I'm looking at insurance for the river cruise we're taking, and you can purchase rental car insurance, but it seems pricey, especially given that we will be renting for only two days after the cruise. Should I just purchase insurance from the car rental company or what? Thanks.

roothy123,

The car rental fee does include the car liabilty (insurance for damages you are causing on other cars or people, sorry I don´t know the proper terminology in English). You can purchase additionally an insurance covering all damage on the rented car itself. So in case you hit something while parking your car or break a light glass or all costs for repairs in case of an accident this additional insurance is covering this. You can only purchase this insurance with the car rental company. Credit cards usually do not include an insurance for rental cars.

It depends on what you want to do. A rental cars makes you independant. Travelling with trains you are bound to their schedules, maybe need a hotel close to the train station. It also depends on where you want to got. If you only want to go from Nuremberg to Munich the train might be the better option plus a downtown hotel in Munich. Just for one or two days a train might be easier. But the train might come more expensive than a small car (like VW Golf).

steamboats

Master Card, Visa and American Express cover rental cars in Europe as do some Americal automobile insurances.

Check with your credit card company as they have limitations on types of cars and length of rentals. We rent a car for a month in Europe each year and our credit card covers the insurance up to 30 days.

many credit cards do include insurance for free(I pay no annual fees and all my cards include "free" auto rental insurance). Check with your credit card issuer to find out. Most of the time when you are out of the country this is first coverage not secondary. This insurance through the Car rental company is very expensive(10 per day or more) and is not worth it, if you can get it for free. Eurocar (http://www.eurocar.com) rents cars for reasonable rates through out the world...watch for specials...

Thanks. I think I want the convenience of being able to drive around, not stay in a city, so I'll definitely go with a rental car. I'll check into coverage by the credit cards I have to see if they apply to rental in Europe. I have pretty basic credit cards (no gold, no American Express), so they may not, but it's worth a check. In any case, I can see that choosing an insurance package that includes car rental isn't very reasonable, given that I only want the car for a couple days. So I can rule that option out, I think!

smeyer418,

Credit card system here in Germany is quite different from the one in the US. First we don´t distinguish between credit card and debit card. It´s all credit cards. Additionally we do have a bank card which is directly charged to my bank account while I get a monthly bill for my credit card. Except for one company issueing a MC there´s is no credit card without an annual fee. Some banks include a credit card if you open up an account (but anyway you pay a monthly fee for the bank account). Insurance packages are usually included in the Gold Cards and up. So a "regular" German credit card does not include any insurances. And usually it doesn´t make much sense to pay the extra fee for an insurance you don´t need on a regular basis.

steamboats

smeyer418,

Credit card system here in Germany is quite different from the one in the US. First we don´t distinguish between credit card and debit card. It´s all credit cards. Additionally we do have a bank card which is directly charged to my bank account while I get a monthly bill for my credit card. Except for one company issueing a MC there´s is no credit card without an annual fee. Some banks include a credit card if you open up an account (but anyway you pay a monthly fee for the bank account). Insurance packages are usually included in the Gold Cards and up. So a "regular" German credit card does not include any insurances. And usually it doesn´t make much sense to pay the extra fee for an insurance you don´t need on a regular basis.

steamboats

since the original poster lives in Silver Springs Maryland, while interesting not exactly enlightening to her/him

Archived