River / Ship suggestions for 30-somethings?

galileo111

Hello all -

My husband and I are looking at a European River cruise for our next big adventure. Just a few questions for you experts...

1. We are in our mid-30's and would like to be on a ship with a variety of ages. I don't mind if we are the youngest but it would be nice to have other couples in their 40s or 50s. Which lines have the best age range?

2. I am a vegetarian so it is important that there be at least one vegetarian choice for meals. I'm not picky but I'm afraid that some ships may be very "meat-centric" without any choices for me other than salad.

3. One of my least favorite things is spending hours at a time on a tour bus. Is there a particular route or cruise line that has less bus time than the others? I'm thinking that maybe a route with more small villages would be better?

4. Finally, I'm really looking forward to relaxing on the sun deck and just watching the world go by. I've read that maybe some of the rivers have more "industrial" views while others are all rolling hills and castles. Has this been your experience?

thanks soooo much for any and all tips

1. I think most river cruisers are a lot older than you and your husband. The one we did Budapest to Amsterdam on the Poetry most of passengers were over 70. There were a few 40 somethings but you will probably be the youngest on board.

2. You can contact the cruise line and request a special diet.

3. The only real bus time we had was the optional trip to Salzburg. Since the boats dock along what was a major highway most of the places you visit will be very close.

4. Don't get too disappointed if the top decks are closed while the ship is moving. Due to the many bridges we were not allowed up top while sailing. We saw both industrial areas and rolling hills with castles on our trip.

galileo111,

1. There is no river cruise company tending to younger passengers (except for a German company called A´Rosa). So the average age is more 55+ or higher. But anyway if you don´t mind that you have fun.

2. Menues usually offer one vegetarian choice.

3. Amsterdam - Basel is a cruise where there´s no additional bus transfer. Schedules including Paris or Prague usually have a 5 hour bus transfer to the ship (except for the Deilmann which really starts in Prague). Regarding the shore tours: it´s up to you! If they are included no one is forcing you to go. If not you don´t need to book them.

4. On an Amsterdam to Basel cruise you will find industrial areas in the first part of your cruise, then hills and castles in the second part. Sun decks are closed in the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal because of low bridges. So avoid departures from Nuremberg (but it´s only one day on the canal). The Danube river is also offering everything: hills, castles and industrial areas. There´s no itinerary where you can avoid any industry.

steamboats

Archived