1. 1. Who Takes Care Of Your Pets While You Are Cruising

• Family Member
    • In-House Pet Sitter
    • Out-House Neighbor
    • Drop-In Care Giver
    • My Veterinarian
    • The Pets Are On Their Own

We don't have any pets.

We both worked all our lives and didn't feel that it was fair for an animal to be home alone all day long - up to 12 hours on some days.

After we retired we began to travel more. Thought about getting a dog but who would take care of him? We haven't and didn't think it would be fair for the dog tobe in a kennel for up to a month at a time.

The neighbor takes care of the birds that our oldest son left at home when he moved out many years ago. Parrots do indeed live a long time.

The dog goes to our youngest son unless he is away and then she goes to our daughter. Dusty our dog enjoys that very much as they both have dogs to keep her company.

What gets hectic is when our youngest son and daughter both go away at the same time so we watch their dogs and we have three dogs in the house- a bull mastif, a shepard mix and a Shih Tsu who get along very well.

So far the three dog residences have not been vacant at the same time but we will have to plan for that when we all go away together for the DW's 70th.

:cool:

we have a pet sitter who comes in every other day to check on the 2 cats, feed and water them and play with them as well as keep the litter box clean. No more expensive ($15 a visit) than the kennel for 2 of them and they are far happier at home. We get back and we get the "so.... you're back eh? " look and then they are then more interested in climbing in and out of the suitcases than giving any indication they may have missed us.

Agree about dogs though. Last one passed shortly after our son left home and despite DW's occasional moments of weakness re puppies I've stood firm. Our life style just isn't a good fit with a dog as both of us are still working full time and like to travel quite a bit when we do get time off.

Michmike, we do the same thing for our two cats. Only it's $12 a visit here in Kansas.

Our older cat does not like change and would not do well at someone else's home or a kennel. We can then relax on our trip knowing they're well taken care of and not really missing us.

P.S. What is it about suitcases and cats?

A friend of ours stays at our place to watch our 15-year-old cat. We live closer to her office than she does, and she can't have a cat of our own, so she looks forward to it. And I think our cat enjoys it too, although she (the furbaby) gives us the cold shoulder treatment for the first hour or so after our return. :)

we had some house pets while the children were growing up...we could not afford to cruise and raise the kids too...now that the kids have their own kids, i have my 8 pound cockerpoo, brenda...(she came before i discovered cruising)...now i have two expensive luxuries that i do not want to live without...while i am away,i have an outhouse doggie sitter.

None of the above.

Dee-Dee (short for either Derringer or Dillinger, we've heard both), our retired racing greyhound (racing name Speed Trap) always visits her old digs at the Greyhound Adoption League. They have a former racing kennel outside of town, which includes a fenced practice track where the dogs can run. It's all greyhounds, so no inter-breed agression problems, and specialized handling. Dee-Dee used to live there for a while, knows the all-volunteer staff, and has friends among the other canine regulars. She need twice-a-day eye medication and gets great care. Last time she went, Dee-Dee was so happy to see Mary and other girls that she couldn't stop wagging and smiling.

Although I had no business getting a dog while I was both working and single, Dee-Dee was adopted on the theory that people start looking like their pets. So far, it hasn't worked. I can't even come close to her slim figure and pefectly concave stomach. :rolleyes:

We have five cats. Two elderly Siamese who live in the house and three who live in the basement at night.(And when we are gone, they stay in the basement) Plus a stray that we feed outdoors. All of them came to us, we did not go out looking for any. I think that in a prior life, I must have been a cook in an orphanage as I cannot stand to see anything go hungry.

We are very lucky to have found a young husband and wife who both love cats (and adopted one of the strays that showed up at our house) They come daily to feed, water and play with the cats. It means a lot to us that they really like cats and as they have three of their own, they are excellent care givers. They leave daily messages on our email so when we are in port or using ship's facilities, we know how things are going. We pay pretty well, $25 a visit and usually I bring them a bottle of champagne from the cruise.

Nancy

If our son did not live close it would be really hard for us to get away. Although we did pay one of his friends to watch all the animals one year when we took son to Hawaii for Christmas. We truly have a house full of pets. We have 2 Toy poodles Rudie and Ruffles, then our cat Joey, 3 birds, Pumpkin our Umbrella Cockatoo, Mini our Lessor Cockatoo, and Baby our Green Cheek Conure, then we also have a 55 gal aquarium of fresh water fish. The dogs have their own bedroom with food, beds, toys and a dog door to the shaded private dog run. They do not have a run of the house while we are gone. The cat on the other hand does have a run of the house and the birds are down in our bedroom.

Thanks goodness our son lives only a 1/2 mile away and works nights so he comes over every afternoon to play with them and feed the farm:D

We usually bring our 2 cats to my parents house when we are away...

Interesting thing is ..I heard so much how cats get attached to their house and supposed to have huge problem adjusting to another home...I don't think my duo has any troupble in this regard.

My mom on the other hand does eveything to spoil them..Buys cat's candies, all kind of toys etc. ;)

Krazy Kruizers, even though you are away sometimes or have to work hours...animals have much better life at home than in shelters cages or being killed (not every shelter is a non-kill).

I second the kennel option. For our upcoming trip in October our cats will be staying in a cats only kennel, they get a little too frazzled being around barking dogs for extended periods of time. We still have to figure out what to do with our dear old parakeet for the week.

My next door neighbor is loves all animals and is very good to them. She comes in twice a day to fix food/water, clean the litter box, brush and pet the cat. Darned cat does better while I'm away than when I'm home! I pay my neighbor, but it's less than a sitter.

Since I take long cruises, and since I got Cocoa from a shelter I don't want to take her out of her home while I'm gone. She's comfortable there, and she knows I'll be home eventually.

We have 2 female Shelties, Holly and Bella, who enjoy a good-size house to romp and sleep in, a shaded patio and a pet door to give them access to the back yard and patio whenever they like. Our sons live up in Reno, and we are reluctant to impose on friends to look after 2 dogs for a week or more, so we use a couple who visit every day for a fee. We have two large water "feeders" and a dry food feeder as well. :)

My darling Basset, Dorcas ....

dorcas1.jpgdorcas2.jpgdorcas3.jpg

...goes to stay with her grandparents. She loves my Dad, and my Mom loves to scratch her ears. If they're not going to be in town while I'm gone, or if they're going with me, then she goes to stay at "Man's Best Friend."

My amazing Pussy Cat, Jeremiah ...

jeremiah1d.jpg

... stays at home and my Secretary stops by every day to check on him and, very often, will stay quite a while, watch TV, and play with my kitty.

We usually board our dog and two cats with our Vet. Last time, it was really expensive and they did not like it at all. On our next cruise, we are going to try a service - have them come in to the home twice a day and feed and play with the pets - and see how that goes. :)

Nice pics, revneal!!! :)

Our two kitties (one adopted from the local shelter and one a stray) both live in our garage. When we travel DH's brother comes across the street to feed them every other day. They have a cat door so can go in and out to continue their mouse patrols while we are gone.

I worry about them some, because when at home we shut them in each night but while we are gone they are more free to roam. However, we live in the country and they are pretty savvy by this time (ages five and two and a half) so I just pray they will continue to be sensible. Dear BIL does have our vet's name and phone number if needed. Both cats usually show up within a few minutes after we arrive home from a trip, so I think they miss us.

That is the name of our service; run by my brother's ex-wife. One of her ladies comes in once a day and plays with our two cats. She also waters the plants AND picks up the mail.

Dogs probably do okay in kennels since they are social animals, but cats need the freedom to roam around thier familiar surroundings. Incidentally, one of our cats is named Liat - my cruisecritic nickname.

She is a Tonkinese cat, and Liat was the

Tonkinese sweetheart of Ensign Joe Cable in James Michener's "Tales of the South Pacific".

Archived