Newbie Question

abhb

We are going on our first cruise during the winter:D . We usually cruise during the summer because I am a teacher. My question is what do you do with the winter clothes and coats that you wear to the airport:confused: ? We are driving our car to the airport and leaving it there. Do you pack coats in your carryon? Do you wear warm weather clothes under heavy clothes? Do you just freeze and not wear coats to the airport? Any suggestions would be helpful.

We are going on our first cruise during the winter:D . We usually cruise during the summer because I am a teacher. My question is what do you do with the winter clothes and coats that you wear to the airport:confused: ? We are driving our car to the airport and leaving it there. Do you pack coats in your carryon? Do you wear warm weather clothes under heavy clothes? Do you just freeze and not wear coats to the airport? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm in Canada, so I know all about winter!!!

We usually leave the heavy winter coats at home, and wear light weight fleece jackets to the airport. For the amount of time we are outside (car to terminal) we can manage with the fleece jackets! :D

I only cruised once during the winter but have been on a few land based vactions during the winter (all of which included warm weather destinations). Each time, I did not bother bringing a winter coat with me. I went right from a warm car into the airport so the added bulk wasnt that neccessary for me. I bundled up with layers and a sweatshirt on top... all of which I was able to use while on vacation if the temp dropped at night. One time, I believe I brought a light jacket worn over a sweatshirt (again, something I could use while on Vacation).

Not sure what to tell you about the jacket but what I would suggest if your car will be parked outside is to attach something distinctive to the antenna or somewhere you can tie it on because I remember coming back to the airport and a huge snowstorm hit and I couldn't find my car under all the snow . I knew the row and section but couldn't see the parking spot numbers.

I have just made due with a light weight coat and a couple of layers. I'd rather be cold for a few minutes than to have to drag around a heavy coat that I will not otherwise be using. Besides, I already end up having to carry around my fiance's winter coat for her, so that would really take up a lot of room if my coat was there too!

Coming and going from cold to hot and back isn't fun...but it's worth it! We arrived in Miami in jeans and long sleeve shirts and ended up spending two hours in the baggage claim area because our bags spent some extra quality time in Atlanta. It was beastly hot and so muggy! Leaving from up north in shorts wasn't really an option, though.

Last year, we left our winter woolies in the car and only brought denim shirts for covering up. The only time it was a problem was after returning to the airport in CT, we had to wait outside for our transport back to the hotel where we'd left our car (free parking, because we'd stayed there the night prior to departure).

It was late, and the driver said we needed to be outside so he could find us. My husband and I had to take turns being outside because it was so cold, and we'd acclimated to the warmth of Florida and the Caribbean.

Once you get into the airport, you won't be outside again until you arrive in the port town! Leave the coats in the car! (Yes, it'll be cold when you return, but hey--you'll have a tan to keep you warm!)

Whatever winter clothing you're wearing should be the only winter clothes you have--wear them home, too!

I am from NJ am sometimes it gets pretty cold. We would put on a sweatshirt and denim jacket and be quite comfortable for the little time we were outside. Usually could fit jackets in carryon and still wear sweatshirts if AC on plane was too cold. Both items came in handy for nights or tours. So when you finally get to the warm weather, you may just have to carry the sweatshirt if you don't have any more room in your carryon; we usually tied it around our waist. Good Sailing, Murf.

Archived