Please help me make a decision

nevis92

I can't decide between three cruises leaving Ft. Lauderdale on March 16, 2008. We are in our early 40's and our kids are 10 and 12. Price is pretty comparable on all three and have been to most of the islands on all three itineraries so that isn't a factor. I will post on all three boards and I need honest opinions. You can see who we've sailed with to give you an idea of what we are used to.

The three cruises are:

1. Princess-Grand Princess

2. Holland America-Westerdam

3. Celebrity-Millenium

I booked the flights so we have to pick from one of the three. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

If you want to please the kids, choose Princess. They have a great kids program. And there are lots of kids. When we have been on Princess cruises, we are rarely bothered by kids even when there are a lot of them because they are busy having a good time.

I know that a couple of years ago HAL instituted good kids programs, so that the Westerdam might be a good choice.

The Westerdam is the newest of the three ships and would be my personal choice, but even my grandchildren are older than your kids. There might be more kids during the time you are planning to travel

I have been reading a lot of negative stuff about the propulsion systems on the Millenium class of ships lately and I think that Celebrity is too stiff for kids.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a fabulous time.

Roberta

I was mistaken when I put the Grand Princess on my list. I meant to list Caribbean Princess. A minor point as they are similar ships with one being newer than the other.

I appreciate all your feedback. We loved our previous cruise on the Westerdam although the kids were lukewarm on the kid's program. It could have simply been the staff on board at the time.

Surprisingly, of the 5 or 6 cruises for which we've taken our kid's, their favorite kid's program was on Celebrity's Galaxy last year. As much as we love HAL, we found the service last year on Galaxy to be just slightly above HAL.

I would expect that Princess would have the highest number of kids aboard of the three.

Of course, I know we will be pleased with any of the three ships.

I can't decide between three cruises leaving Ft. Lauderdale on March 16, 2008. We are in our early 40's and our kids are 10 and 12. Price is pretty comparable on all three and have been to most of the islands on all three itineraries so that isn't a factor. I will post on all three boards and I need honest opinions. You can see who we've sailed with to give you an idea of what we are used to.

The three cruises are:

1. Princess-Grand Princess

2. Holland America-Westerdam

3. Celebrity-Millenium

I booked the flights so we have to pick from one of the three. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

I have sailed all three cruise lines and I would put Princess first, with the newer ship, with HAL a close second. The Millennium does have those on-going mechanical problems that would make rule the Millennium out.

Wish you had RCL in there because I think that would be perfect based on the little information you provide.

If the children are your focus, though, I'd go with Princess. They'll have more to do. As far as Celebrity of HAL, it's a toss-up for the kids. As an adult I refer Celebrity, but it becomes a matter of personal taste.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time. You really can't go wrong on any cruise.

One ship line you did not mention was Carnival, which does an excellent job with kids. The Spirit class ships and their newest batch of ships are a cut above their old ships. My doctor always takes his teen-aged kids on Carnival because the kids have such a great time.

We were on the Carnival Miracle in February of 2008. The food in the dining room was very good (although there were fewer choices than on Princess or HAL) and the service was flawless in the dining room. What we don't like about Carnival is there is so much loud hoopla.

Roberta

Well, I have sailed on the Grand Princess and the Westerdam. Both incredibly enjoyable cruises.

If you want a more relaxed, casual atmosphere, especially at dining time, then I would choose Grand Princess. The kid's programs are great on Princess too. My kid's were too old by the time we started cruising Holland America, so can't comment there.Grand Princess does have movies under the stars that the kids might have fun at.

Both ships are beautiful. You could easily fit 4 people into a Princess mini-suite. You would need to move up to an S suite on Westerdam. The beds are to die for on HAL. Service is great on both ships.

Boy, this would be a hard decision for me. Might have to play rock, paper scissors if the itinerary was the same.

As I mentioned, I posted my original question on all three cruiseline's boards and have found the Princess folks to be most enthusiastic about Princess. Maybe because it is such a large cruiseline, it has a more active board.

Anyway, as I'm torn between the three ships for March 16, I know there is no bad choice. Here is where my thought process is right now:

Westerdam: We've cruised aboard her before and that's a positive and a negative as you can see by my signature, I like to try different lines. But familiarity means I know what I'm getting and it is a safe choice. Slight negative is that the children's program ranks third of the three choices. Strong positive is that week's itinerary; Half Moon Cay, (THE BEST!), Aruba and Curacao. Very appealling itinerary for me.

Millenium: Best service ever last year on Galaxy so I would expect the same. Also the best food of all our cruises to date with the exception of the Lido Buffet on Westerdam. I'm curious about the M class ships and it looks stunning. LOVE SUSHI. The week's itinerary is my least favorite of the three although I would love to see Labadee as it's been 15 years since my last visit there.

Princess: Big Ship with over 3k people scares the daylights out of me! I hate crowds and hate shopping malls and my perception is that it is one big floating shopping mall full of overfed people. (I could be way off base here but it is my perception). No question it has a great kid's program so that is a big plus. Decent itinerary and I have never been to Princess Cays.

Oh, poor me, my life is so stressful that I have this tough decision to make.

Based on your comments above, I would choose Millennium or Westerdam. You feel as I do about ships that size (Princess) and if you go into it feeling that way, I doubt very much you'll change your mind. So unless you want it to be all for the kids, I'd rule that out.

For me it would be Millennium. But that's because I think food and service on Celebrity outranks HAL Vista class. Itinerary would be secondary. But if itinerary is important, you won't go wrong with Westerdam either.

You're right .... poor you!!!:( Isn't it awful when we're faced with such awful decisions?:)

Princess: Big Ship with over 3k people scares the daylights out of me! I hate crowds and hate shopping malls and my perception is that it is one big floating shopping mall full of overfed people. (I could be way off base here but it is my perception). No question it has a great kid's program so that is a big plus. Decent itinerary and I have never been to Princess Cays.

Trust me on this, Grand Princess, and Golden Princess, never felt crowded and are no way like a floating shopping mall. You would be confusing this ship with the Voyager class Royal Caribbean ships, of which we were on one- Mariner of the Seas.....NEVER again. The only positive was the amazing ice skating show.

Just wanted to make sure you could put to rest those fears.

Happy cruising.

Princess has more for kids and family. Holland is for the reserved older set (nice market positioning with millions of Baby Boomers retiring :) :) )

I haven't been on RC yet

HAve a wonderful trip, and enjoy.......

Archived