Medication taken into Australia

ZSandy25

We are travelling Australia/NewZeland 2/16 with 2 other couples. My sister-in-law called me today to tell me her Dr. called and wanted to make sure she had copies of her scripts to prove they were prescribed and advised her she and husband needed to keep their med's in respective bottles or they could be conficated upon entering. Like most they keep their "pills" in those daily compartment thing not the bottles they came in. I can understand having a copy of scripts in case of emergency.

Is this in fact true? Thankfully I only take vitamins but DH does have a few

"pills", to take as do the other couple.

That sounds very very strange to me (I live in New Zealand). Authorities or Customs would only be interested/bothered if someone possessed HUGE quantities (as in it looked as though they were importing meds, or at least about to start selling a few on the street or something). And even then, authorities would not search unless there was obvious & suspicious activity taking place.

However, I think it's worth having either scripts or original bottles (of especially necessary meds) just in case they get lost & you have to get more in a foreign port.

No, its true. Its unlikely to happen but if you are searched and they find medication which cannot be identified they may confiscate it. Having the prescriptions might help but they actually recommedn that all medication be kept in its original packaging with your name labelled on it.

No, its true. Its unlikely to happen but if you are searched and they find medication which cannot be identified they may confiscate it. Having the prescriptions might help but they actually recommedn that all medication be kept in its original packaging with your name labelled on it.

That then makes our stuff even heavier to bring the bottles--I assume we can take out the rest of the meds not needed? Our meds come in oversized jars which I have always hated--and now to bring them in those said jars..takes up room we might need in the carryon...YIKIES

That then makes our stuff even heavier to bring the bottles--I assume we can take out the rest of the meds not needed? Our meds come in oversized jars which I have always hated--and now to bring them in those said jars..takes up room we might need in the carryon...YIKIES

Can you ask your pharmacist to put just enough medications for your trip into smaller bottles, correctly labelled? Even if you had to pay a nominal sum for the smaller container, it would be worth not having to carry the large bottles.

Can you ask your pharmacist to put just enough medications for your trip into smaller bottles, correctly labelled? Even if you had to pay a nominal sum for the smaller container, it would be worth not having to carry the large bottles.

No as we live in Iowa & the meds come thru the mail from Arizona (we are retired military)--had it been local yes our store would do that--I do have one small one for some large pills (locally done)--as their normal bottle is really big to hold them--but the small bottles won't hold enough of the "HORSE" pills either..I most likely will just group the daily ones together in 1 bottle & hope--never had problems before--will bring the "other" pills--the ones I bring incase--kidney infection-tooth problem & incase of any paiin for whatever reason(I always have something happen with a tooth traveling--but think I got that one on our Alaska cruise:rolleyes: ) I'll see how much room there it--might just bring them ALL..

I just read over the customs page and don't see anything about original pharmacy containers.

Just says to declare what meds you are carrying.

As long as they aren't the prohibited ones, you should be good to go.

I'm taking my meds in next week in those Sunday thru Saturday thingys.

I'll also have script copies with me.

If they won't let me take my blood pressure meds in, I'll just die on them. That'll fix them. <G>

Just my $0.02.

Jim

We were traveling on a cruise and a Government Drug Dog hit positive on this elderly lady (OK we in our late 60's but she was older:D ) and the official asked the lady if she had any medicine in her purse. She said yes. He asked her to open her purse and he searched it. He removed each medicine bottle he found and read each drug store label. He told her thanks and told her she was clear to proceed. He said that he needed to see the drugs in the drug store labeled bottles are she would have been in trouble.

He than gave his dog a "treat" for the dog finding the drugs and "hitting" positive on the lady.

He left the lady and continued walking with his dog among the passengers.

A heck--I'll just dump all my meds with their bottles into plastic bags--the daily ones & the other ones just incase something comes up that I have had problems with in the past. BUT I will have a few pain pills--I guess if they take them--they do--& I have a problem--have to see a Dr & get something--I like to take as if I don't I'll need them & if I do I won't need them--its called insurance for me.

Also bringing some ginger candy that I think I also will have to declare--to ward off sea sicknss..will have 2 bags of candy unopened put in our luggage I hope they will be ok--they are our "cigarettes"--if we need something in our mouths--we don't smoke..I've been off 20+ yrs & he has for 4-5 yrs.

We are travelling Australia/NewZeland 2/16 with 2 other couples. My sister-in-law called me today to tell me her Dr. called and wanted to make sure she had copies of her scripts to prove they were prescribed and advised her she and husband needed to keep their med's in respective bottles or they could be conficated upon entering. Like most they keep their "pills" in those daily compartment thing not the bottles they came in. I can understand having a copy of scripts in case of emergency.

definitely take your scripts and at least the label part of the box they came in (with each type of pill kept separately) I always carry ours with a rubber band around each ..box label, and matching script and pill packet..then they can check them individually if they want to...

As for food. ..anything that goes in your mouth MUST be declared..or thrown away before customs..they have bins for this...do not think you can even sneak a bag of lollies in your suitcase..I once saw them abuse a mother because she had ticked "no food" on her daughters incoming card...and the kid had a bag of lollies...

same goes for plantlife...NOT ALLOWED..the same night they abused a Hawaiian Air Stewardess for still having her orchid in her hair!!

Aussie customs officers are very alert.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about it. We carry a square container (size about 6" by 12") and has about 10 compartments. We store vitamins, Q10s, etc, etc in there without the original boxes. We've traveled extensively and never onced were we questioned about the pills. Also we entered NZ and returned via Australia recently, and they never took a second look even when they searched our carry on going through the security. You should be fine. Enjoy your trip.

p.s. if you have the prescription or scripts, doesn't hurt to bring them along, but you should be fine.

Hi, It is better to be safe than sorry. My Dr. told me always to carry meds in original bottles. It is a major pain for me, I look like I am carrying a drug store. I put all of my meds in a big ziplock bag.

I just had to claim that I had medication (to the Australian authorities) and they asked me what kind. I said prescription, and that was it.

It is true that you tell them every kind of food you have. I put all of the left over candy from our cruise and goodies from the previous flight in a small ziplock bag. When they asked what I had, I showed them.

We were told to claim anything if we were not sure. We were kind of worried as to what we could keep. The authorities were all very nice & helpful though.

HaloV

It is true that you tell them every kind of food you have. I put all of the left over candy from our cruise and goodies from the previous flight in a small ziplock bag. When they asked what I had, I showed them.

Huh, never gave the pillow candies a second thought before this. Now I'll bring a little baggie to throw them in.

Actually a Webster pack would be very good. It is tamper-proof and considered to be original packaging with label. They also pack quite flat. I don't know how many pharmacies do this though and what it costs or if it is Available in USA.

Archived