RCCL vs Carnival

We have been on RCCL 5 times (twice on Grandeur, 1 on Enchantment, 1 on Brilliance and 1 on Voyager). My husband would like to try Carnival. We both love RCCL, but DH would like to try a different line. Looking for some imput as to the differences between the two from people who have cruised both.

It has been a couple of years since I have cruised with Carnival. We have cruised RCCL 3 times, carnival 2, Princess 3, and Disney 1 time. Both times I tried Carnival it was okay. We had a good time, but it just felt like the service wasn't as good, the food was very hit or miss, with the exception of the pizza and ice cream (best at sea in my opinion, by far), I felt more like a number and that they wanted to constantly sell me somthing. On the other lines, I just don't feel that way.

On the other lines, the crew members seem to be happier to be there and are very nice and helpful always with a cheerful greeting and a my pleasure when asked for something, and they remember names. It's not that the Carnival crew are bad, I have had some great waiters and stateroom attendants, its just the overall feeling that I got from peope who were not expecting a tip from me. To me the difference between Carnival and RCCl is really in the details.

I think Carnival is fine and I would go again if it was going to save me a chunk of change, but for the same price or a small difference, I would opt for RCCL. Hope this helps

I sailed on Carnival Miracle - service was horrendous, esp in the dining room. The wait team was responsible for 3-4 times the number of diners as on RCI, and could not provide attentive or personal service. The layout of the ship was very awkward. The Buffet is between the pool and the elevators, so there is through-traffic of sunbathers walking past you as you are eating. It is so gross! My kids were bored on the ship.

We wouldn't sail Carnival again if it were free.

Pattis, we were in the same situation as your hubby. We had previously been on Princess and we wanted something different, maybe a liveler crowd, we thought and some different ports. We read articles on Carnivals new ships and they all sounded good so we went on a 8 day Southern Caribbean on Carnival Legend out of FLL the week of spring break last year. 1) it was a whole different itinerary than we had ever been 2) a whole different cruise line than we had ever been. We really were not impressed with either.

We have not been on a RCCL ship in nine years, but I would tell you if you Love RCCL I would stick with it.

My advice is to try them and see for yourself. We can all sit here and tell you which one we prefer and why but those are all just opinions. I have done both lines many times and feel that one is better than the other but again we may not be looking for the same thing in an overall cruise vacation. Good luck.:)

First Cruise was RCI Explorer - It was fantastic !

Second Cruise was Carnival Miracle.

Third cruise will definitely be RCI.:) Although Carnival was good it was no where near Royal Caribbean in food quality, service, shows, things to do and overall appearance. Although Carnival did have some things I enjoyed Ice cream at all hours, and slide, RCI really outshined Carnival.

DW did not cre for food at all on Carnival. I thought it was good but not as good as RCI. I think the Windjammer buffet had better choices.

Again it doesn't hurt to try another line, people are different that's what makes life great.

I sailed on the Carnival Liberty and thought it was as good as any other cruise line. I think it depends on the ship you're sailing on.

I definitely agree and think that applies on every line!

I've sailed both and have enjoyed both! I really enjoyed my Carnival Conquest cruise and then my Navigator and RCCL Liberty cruises although I never felt the food on RCCL was better then Carnival - good but I still think of Carnival's Bitter and Blanc :)

We are trying Carnival again this summer on a sister ship, the Glory and we know we'll have a great time regardless but we wanted to try some different lines too and compare and I wanted to take my family on Carnival (I'm the only one that went on the Conquest when I went with a friend) so they could try it.

I think every line is worth trying and if it isn't great, make the best of it! I'd just research ships and stick to newer ships and go from there!

Having sailed RCCL and Carnival, I would say both are wonderful. Look at itinerary and price and make your decision based on that.

I was worried Carnival woud be a "Party Ship" and it was no worse or better than RCCL. I loved both.

You said it so simply and it was what I wanted to say but you did it better so I'll just agree :)

This will be my third cruise experience, second one with Royal Caribbean. My last one a few years ago was with Carnival Holiday. It was an ominous sign when we first boarded. Upon entering the pool yard, from a balcony above, a half filled beer bottle came crashing down within feet of me and my GF. On that balcony level were young teens and college age students that was partying it up BEFORE the ship left the pier. Thankfully it was just a short excursion, but on the whole the trip was not too whacked out. I think some of the clues can be gleaned by the destination, the theme, and during what part of the year you're cruising. Spring Break...that's a clue right there.

This is always a very subjective debate. You really will have to try for yourself....since you are on the RC side of the thread right now you will fine the RC cheerleaders that tell you Carnival is no good. On the Carnival thread it will be the opposite.

I have been on both and to me there is not clear cut winner. On every trip there are things that are better or worse than previous cruises regardless of the line you are on. Some of it actually has to do with the passengers that our on board with you as well.

Go with an open mind. With RC being the first line you used you will tend to compare everything to it. Don't let the small differences get to you.

Good luck in your decision!!

We have cruised Conquest - our first cruise ever. We were 50 at the time and thoroughly enjoyed it - however, keep in mind that we had NEVER cruised before.

The service was great, food was great, ship was beautiful. We had nothing to complain about.

You will find people who like this cruise line or that cruise line. It is a matter of preference. Your cruise is what you make it, but most importantly, the people who are there to serve you.

Try it...that's all I can say.

We have sailed on Disney, RCCL, Carnival and Princess. We like all the lines, but have found things about each line that we like better.

It all depends on what you want out of a ship. If you are comparing food we have had good and bad on each. We personally like the food selection better on Carnival because they have such a variety of choices.

Service-Disney is a winner on that, but Carnival is our next favorite.

Cabins-Disney has everyone beat on cabin size, second would be Carnival.

Friendliness of the crew-depends on the ship and the leadership onboard and what passengers are sailing.

If you are looking for the WOW factor of a ship RCCL has the edge because of the amenities on the Voyager and Freedom class ships but we thought that the RCCL felt more crowded than any other lines, because the public spaces were not spread out like other lines.

If you are looking for relaxing ships, we love Princess. They have the anytime dining, Movies under the Stars, and great ship layouts.

Our kids (which are all teens to early twenties) like Carnival the best because the ships are fun.

I think that RCCL, Carnival and Princess are all great lines and if you book a cruise on any of the newer ships you are going to have a great time. We were afraid of Carnival because we had heard so many bad things, but once we tried them our opinions changed. We have had 4 great cruises with them and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Don't be afraid to try other lines. Other lines have great itineraries and prices that you may not find on RCCL.

I am in a similar situation...

I have cruised Carnival before and was not disappointed... I didn't find it to be overly partying but felt that RC would probably fit me and DH better...

This September, my whole family is sailing on Carnival... you see, my extended family are all platinum on Carnival - none of them have ever tried RC... so they wanted a Carnival cruise...

We're going because, well, a cruise is still a cruise, the price was right... and it will be a nice way to catch up with family...

DH has never cruised Carnival, only RC... I am a bit worried that he won't enjoy it as much but I've got 8 months to point out some of their great features that RC doesn't offer...

From everything I have read on these boards from other posters... it seems to depend on a few factors..

1. Time of year that you cruise... though I tend to think Spring Break is Spring Break on any line... Since Carnival is usually less expensive, it seems to attract more of that crowd... that and their reputation as a 'Fun Ship'.

2. Length of cruise... The shorter Carnival cruises tend to attract a "wilder" bunch... Most of the people I have talked to that have sailed on 7 night or longer on Carnival, report that is more laid back than the shorter sailings...

3. Ship... the older Carnival ships aren't going to measure up to say, Mariner, Freedom, or Explorer... that being said, for some, the older RC ships don't measure up either...

4. Attitude... 'nuff said...

We sailed RCCL 5 times when we tried the Carnival Conquest! Here is what we found:

Loved both cruises

Food slightly better on Carnival - I gained weight on them all!

Love RCCL's fleet of ships - Did not care for Conquest design. Most decks did not go all the way thru, you would have to go part way them up or down a deck to get from front to back of ship!

Service was slightly better on RCCL - Dining room alot better on RCCL!

Shows are better on RCCL - Carnivals were just ok to good!

Bedding was alot better on Carnival but then I haven't cruised on RCCL with their new bedding! *only 4 more days :)

Wow - is this a loaded question? :) DH and I actually prefer Carnival....everything about Carnival except for their ships - I do think RCCL's ships are more beautiful! That isn't saying that Carnival ships are bad - just maybe not as pretty. But you know - everyone sees things differently so you need to try for yourself. Give em' a shot - you never know!

In a couple of weeks DH and I are sailing RCCL even though it isn't necessarily our preference...but we couldn't beat the price or itinerary!

YEs, I'm an RCI cheerleader. But facts are facts and I can compare the older ships of each cruise line.

You'll have fun on both if you cruise with friends.

The dining room food is comparable on both.

The buffet is FAR superior in selection and quality on RCI. Carnival lines are way too long.

The style, decor and overall maintenance is definitely better on RCI.

RCI's deckplans flow better.

Comparable rooms categories are larger on Carnival but are barren and minimal as far as storage space. There are few and very tiny drawers and no cabinets in the cabins on Carnival unless you get a suite. And Carnival suites are smaller than comparable RCI suites. Two women traveling together will be more comfortable in a smaller RCI cabin with all that storage capacity.

I've had great wait staff and room stewards on both lines. I've never run into a rude RCI crew member but have had experience with inappropriate behavior in the form of comments from Carnival crew - this could happen on any cruise line depending on whose path you cross.

Pictures cost more on Carnival.

Both have great bedding now.

I like the high tea time on Carnival.

My pizza experience on both is hit or miss - it's best when fresh.

Park West at Sea? LOL They have the same one of a kinds on both ships.

Next cruise for me - Carnival due to circumstances. If RCI sailed out of NOLA, I'd choose them.

thanks all for your imput. I know that it is hard to compare cruise lines and that everyone has their own tastes, but these responses give me some insight. On the ships we have been on with RCCL, there were pluses and minuses to each one - and my husband and I each had things that were important to us individually. What is important to me is the big questions - is there a lot of partying on Carnival? and most people say no. I have heard tht it is one big party and I guess that isn't true. If I was 20 years younger I'd want one big party but I've reach the age where I like it quiet - and that's a depressing thought sometimes lol!!!!!

Thanks again all!!!!!

thanks all for your imput. I know that it is hard to compare cruise lines and that everyone has their own tastes, but these responses give me some insight. On the ships we have been on with RCCL, there were pluses and minuses to each one - and my husband and I each had things that were important to us individually. What is important to me is the big questions - is there a lot of partying on Carnival? and most people say no. I have heard tht it is one big party and I guess that isn't true. If I was 20 years younger I'd want one big party but I've reach the age where I like it quiet - and that's a depressing thought sometimes lol!!!!!

Thanks again all!!!!!

Here is a wonderful quote which describes the difference to a "T"

What has to be understood here, is that Royal Caribbean is pretty unique in the way it handles ship design. Unlike its arch rival Carnival Cruises, which only relies on its one single architect for both interior and general planning -with the very poor results most ship lovers acknowledge, Royal Caribbean is focused on delegating design responsibilities to a myriad of different people, all carefully chosen (“Execution is relatively easy, compared with finding talent," Kulovaara says. "It's more important that the designers know what they are doing than that they live in a convenient place.")

Thanks again all!!!!!

On Carnival - You can find the party if you want to but it's not everywhere. There is one big fun pub crawl or bar hopping party led by the CD. All ages join in. It's quite fun actually and a good way for them to drive up your bar bill by having a different drink specialty at each bar. There is live music in different styles at each bar and different and fun games. They were giving out a strand of mardi gras beads at each bar as you arrived. The more bars you went to, the more beads you had to wear. Other guests were funny and entertaining to talk to. All ages participated and danced and played. It was a party, yes, but under control. And I don't cruise to party either but ended up being selected to play musical men - men were our chairs. :eek: :o I came in 3rd. Too bad I hadn't changed out of my formal clothes and heels - I'd have beat those young girls.

Gina

Archived