Any Update After Jan 1 no Lobster or MN Buffet

someone just got off Vision and reported she was told only the smaller ships are keeping lobster (Vision class). Don't know if the Radiance class qualifies as a "smaller" class ship. Also they've never had lobster on cruises shorter than 7 days. There have been no midnight buffets (in the DR with ice sculptures) since last fall. We didn't have one on Freedom. It seems to have been replaced by the midnight pool side BBQ/dancing under the stars thing.

For years they have had the pool late night dance and buffet, so the pool party buffet is not replacing the gala. Word was if the gala buffet disappeared, they were going to come up with something else, as an alternative what that might be, I dont know.

We just returned from the Dec 29-Jan 6th Jewel of the Seas Cruise. There was lobster served on Thursday evening, saw lobster in the Portofino and we had the midnight buffet on Friday night.

However....I was told that lobster was temporarily restored on the ship and they had no idea whether it would remain but was removed from any european sailings.

Also......this was the LAST midnight buffet....waiters on the ship were observed taking video of the buffet as a momento.

I personally never understood the purpose of the midnight buffet anyway and people who dash in to take pictures or get in a long line for food that is basically the same all week long in the windjammer. After eating in the dining room, there is no need to stuff yourself again. I much rather RCCL take that away then lobster.

Just back from the Mariner. No more lobster after our sailing and the midnight buffet is also discontinued. Also told that new plates have been ordered in the Windjammer that will be smaller. As if that will stop some of these big diners.

and we have known one another since First Grade! My Hubby who was my fiancee at that time told me to go on the cruise! The ship was the Dolphin IV and the Food, Service and everyhting was like nothing I will ever experience ever again! We had Midnight buffets every night and never once did any passenger ever have to lift a finger we were waited on hand and foot! My Straw Hat kept blowing off of my head one day at the pool deck and I was told to walk while a crew member held my hat on my head for me while i walked and I thought I was Royalty! To this day Amy and I still relive those cruise Dolphin days! She and her Hubby sailed on Princess Dawn for an Alaskan Honeymoon Cruise! I was her Matron of Honor in July 1999 and she was my Maid of Honor in June 1996! Amy knew that my Hubby and I were going to be going on our First cruise in December 1999 and she told me not to expect any type of attention or service like we received back in 1995 on the Dolphin IV! She was right but I still love Royal Caribbean and cruising is an awesome experience! On the first cruise Hubby and I took we stood in line forever for the midnight buffett and Carl said he will never do that again but if I wanted to go I knew I would be going solo! I did try on our 2000 but I didn't even make inside because the wait was so long over 20 minutes and I wanted to be with Carl! I have a wonderful memory of the MNBuffett form 1995 and I will just be pleased I had that one memorable cruise! The Dolphin IV had less than 800 passengers how can it be a great experience with 3,000 passengers! I could never sail on a small ship ever again and I love the Promenade and all the lounges on the ships and having a balcony stateroom is fantastic! Everything has it's time and place! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

We just returned for VOS - the NYE Galveston cruise. We did have lobster on Friday night and there was no midnight buffet. There was an after hours buffet pool deck one night but it was nothing to write home about

We are on Empress next Monday........we shall see.

Bargeo...Have you signed up for the Meet and Mingle for Monday's cruise? We need more cruisers to make our MandM. Go to Roll Call Royal Caribbean Meet and Mingle.

Hopefully we shall see you onboard.

Helen

The ship was the Dolphin IV and the Food, Service and everyhting was like nothing I will ever experience ever again! We had Midnight buffets every night and never once did any passenger ever have to lift a finger we were waited on hand and foot!

Melissa, we have fond rememberances of the old Dolphin IV as well; we sailed her in 1992. :)

Still mixed info some say yes some say no. I was really hoping that something was offered as an alternative to the gala.

Why don't you put a post on Radio's "live" thread and have him ask what the story is about both the lobster and midnight buffet? He seems to be very good at getting the correct info plus he can also let you know what happens on the Liberty this week.

Just back from the Mariner. No more lobster after our sailing and the midnight buffet is also discontinued. Also told that new plates have been ordered in the Windjammer that will be smaller. As if that will stop some of these big diners.

As if that will stop some of these big diners.

LOL!!! Boy, is that true!!!

Gala Buffet in recent years has been nothing to write home about, you knew the end was near when they started to do it in the Windjammer (Freedom '07)

Lobster on the other hand, may just force me to switch my allegiance to Princess :P

We were just on Grandeur for a four day out of Tampa and there was no lobster but there was a Gala Buffet. With only four days there were a lot of missing things compared to the 7 day and longer cruises. We are scheduled for an eight day on Splendour at the beginning of February. It is a South America cruise so we'll see what is different.

someone just got off Vision and reported she was told only the smaller ships are keeping lobster (Vision class). Don't know if the Radiance class qualifies as a "smaller" class ship. Also they've never had lobster on cruises shorter than 7 days. There have been no midnight buffets (in the DR with ice sculptures) since last fall. We didn't have one on Freedom. It seems to have been replaced by the midnight pool side BBQ/dancing under the stars thing.

We got off the Vision on 12/9/07 and had both lobster and the gala buffet on our 7 day. I think the rollback is going to be done in pieces. I also think if the itinerary includes areas where the lobster can be purchased locally, they will do so. I don't think they are going to just drop it all fleetwide.

Archived