JetStar

coiran

I have not flown them. They are a Qantas regional discount carrier. I do know their baggage limitations are quite restrictive before you pay a surcharge. We flew recently between Brisbane and Cairns. Jetstar had a bit cheaper fare but when luggage from a cruise was factored in the parent company Qantas was cheaper.

We've flown Sydney to Honolulu with Jetstar. Just as safe and efficient ( or inefficient) as any other Australian airline.

We travelled in Star Class ... which is Premium Economy ... free entry to Qantas Club, free food, drink and DVD Player. But most importantly, 39in seat pitch on the 10 hour flight

I think you have to pay for food and drink on board when flying Jetstar. It would not be my airline of choice. We have also flown AA and found it to be third rate and we were in First Class!!

We had four flights with AA in January/February 2006, two domestic and two International. Old planes, worn out seats and flight attendants who should have been retired.

Jennie

Jet Star shows $329 (before taxes) one way between Honolulu and Sydney, can't beat that price!

It comes to $560 with taxes - still a good price compared with anyone else - $800 plus taxes.

Ron

Did a HNL/SYD booking, same day, on Hawaiian Airlines ... US$2340 ....

You'd have to eat about $1800 worth of grub to make up the difference.

It's a no-brainer for me ...

P.S. Very strange ... however, if I book a return HNL/SYD/HNL departing 7th October it works out at US$1184 for the whole trip ... that's around US$600 each way

They obviously want you to come back home ...

There have been a number of stories in the press here about people who have been stranded in Honolulu by Jetstar when their services have been delayed. Seems that Jetstar has neither a "back-up" plane or contingency plans in place in Honolulu in the event of problems so lengthy delays result without apparently much in the way of communication and help from Jetstar. These are probably isolated cases no different to any airline, but they certainly generate lots of negative media when they happen.

That aside, people I know who have flown Jetstar International say that it is far better in terms of comfort and service than their domestic services. And very much so in their star class ... their quasi business class. When I flew to Hawaii in 2006 I used (and was happy with) Hawaiian as they use 767s that have 2 seats along the window (which suits us a lot better than the 3-4-3 configuration in 747s flown by Qantas and others). Jetstar wasn't flying to HNL then but as it uses the A330 with a 2-4-2 configuration, I would consider them as well if I fly there again.

Cheers

Bob

Bob is correct, theer have been some issues with Jetstar and canellations/delays.... just as there is with many airlines, including QANTAS.

What you have to understand is that for an airline to be able to provide cheaper seats, they have to have less "fat in the system" e.g. less backup aircraft.

You have to weigh up these issues against the fare. In the case of low cost carriers (and even with full service airlines) it would be prudent to allow an extra travelling (contingency) day ... especially if you had to catch a cruise.

Ron, out of curiosity I just checked prices and got the same as you ... I presume you are on the Dawn Princess crossing the Pacific next Sept/Oct so did my calcs for SYD-HNL on 25 Oct 2008.

At those prices ... $A560 with Jetstar and $A1,100 with Hawaiian (both including tax) and even more for other lines ... there is really no choice!!

Of course, you have to pay for meals, blankets and entertainment on Jetstar though!! On Hawaiian, the meals, blankets and inflight music/movies are included, you only pay for a personal entertainment machine if you want it.

Cheers

Bob

Archived