Accessibility to Petra

Spikesgirl

We are getting ready to book a land tour/Nile cruise through R Crusoe and Sons. My DH wants to add on a side trip out to Petra(Sinai & Jordan actually). When I spoke with the rep from R Crusoe, she said that they would take a private car directly into the 'financial district' of Petra. My friends, getting ready to leave on a GCT Egypt tour, said, no, you have to hike the last bit into the city. Since I have a disability, my long distance walking is challenged. It will just be the two of us on the private excursion, so I'm wondering if it's tour bus vs. car that is making the difference.

Can anyone who's been to Petra confirm or deny the walk in?

Thanks!

Charlie

Charlie, Although I haven't been to Petra, we are on a Red Sea cruise in Feb and one of our ports of call is Aqaba in Jordan. From what I have read you cannot get buses or cars into the 'City' as it is not permitted for motorized vehicles to enter the site. But if you don’t want to walk, you can hire a horse or a horse-drawn carriage to take you through the one kilometre entrance, the Siq. For the elderly and/or handicapped, the Visitors' Centre, close to the entrance of the Siq, can issue a special permit (at an extra fee), for the carriage to go inside Petra to visit the main attractions. Once inside the site, you can hire a donkey, or for the more adventurous, a camel - both come with handlers and take designated routes throughout the site. I hope this info is helpful, also look at the official Visit Jordan website http://www.visitjordan.com/MajorAttractions/Petra/tabid/63/Default.aspx

for more information. Have a good trip.

We were in Petra about 2 years ago. From where cars/buses drop you off it is about 1 1/4 mile to the old city. They have horse drawn carts that will take people to and from the city. I think it was $10 or so each way.

From the Treasury (what you always see pictures of) to the other end is another mile or mile and a half. Again, as I recall, there were horse drawn carts to take you around, for a price.

Petra is an amazing sight.

Paul and others - Appreciate all the info, everyone. It's not that I can't walk, it's just that I can't do really long distances - I've done the Forbidden City and the Great Wall. One and 1/2 miles is well within my abilities, although the horse drawn carriage sounds like fun and might be an alternative to the walk back.

For me, it's Egypt and its treasures that is pulling me here, but I wouldn't say no to Petra and it sounds like I won't have to....yea!

I had a laminectomy and am trying to avoid another, so, alas, camels are beyond my grasp and I suspect that would also include donkeys.

* have read donkeys are available for hire. maybe that's what they mean by car :eek:* Commonsense2 - this was too funny! I wonder what sort of 'gas' milage they get?

Thanks for the website, Tipsy! I'll check it out.

Again, appreciate the help and suggestions!

Charlie

Charlie,

Just to be sure I am clear, it is a mile plus from the parking lot to the old city. It is another mile plus to the other end of the city. If you have rouble walking, you may want to ride in and out on the cart. Then you could walk while you are in the old city. I think we walked about 5 miles in total.

Have a great trip

Paul - it's like you read my mind. That is exactly what I told my husband I thought we should do. I hate having to walk a great distance to something, then not have the ability to enjoy the site. I'm in the theater and I once had to recreate the Treasury on a backdrop - it'll be great to see it in person!

Thanks again for your help!

Charlie

Thanks, Paul. I'm still getting used to this whole disability thing, but am starting to realize that, yes I do now have limits to stay within...sigh. Getting old is not for the weak or faint of heart! My DH is even more cautious of my restrictions than I am and wanted to know about Petra before we booked. I love these boards and being able to ask/talk to folks who have been there/done that.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I read a review where the reviewer took the cart option and wished they hadn't! Apparently they went quite fast over the very bumpy track and the ride was quite jarring.

Just a heads up about this option and its possible danger to your back.

Regards,

Steve.

Wow, Steve, thanks for the heads up. I hadn't even thought of that. Some 4x4 rides are off-limits to me. Hmm, will have to give this more thought...this sounds like a terrible question, but do the donkeys have wieght limits? My DH is 6'5" and about 250 - he can't do pack animals down into the Waipi'o Valley because of a weight restriction. This will definitely be something that I need to take up with the tour folks.

Thanks!!!!

Charlie

There is a famous thread over on Oceania that was so good it has now become a book. "Jack from WA" posted from Hong Kong to Istanbul (?) and part of his online adventure was Petra. You can read about his adventures in Petra with the 12 yr.-old driver, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528321&page=9

Ruby

Wow! I just spent an hour reading Jack's reports and only scratched the surface.

I leave for Egypt in a couple weeks, and appreciate his insights on his travels, and Life (with a capital L :) )

Cruise Critic has provided some pretty spectacular stuff over the years! Thanks to all the contributors. :D

I agree - how did we ever cruise or even travel without Cruise Critic? It is not only a great place for information, but you can also meet up with similarly minded folks and just swap stories and a love of cruising.Charlie

I agree, Charlie. I've been traveling solo for decades and like to think that the Web was invented for my personal use to book cruises, hotels, and guides! What a wonderful tool Cruise Critic is for those of us who love to travel. Having up-to-the minute news and reports from recently returning travelers is so very helpful and much appreciated for those of us who make our own arrangements.

In the past, I have written in CCritic about personal adventures in Alaska, the North Pole area and Norway, Greenland and Iceland, and Istanbul to Singapore if anybody wants info about those places. Most of that information is in a grand thread in "Other Cruise Lines" titled "Saga Rose Greenland Adventure" which is over 23,000 views and a ton of posts with lots o' information for anyone to peruse.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=480683

In the meantime, keep those cards and letters coming!

Ruby

Charlie, Although I haven't been to Petra, we are on a Red Sea cruise in Feb and one of our ports of call is Aqaba in Jordan. From what I have read you cannot get buses or cars into the 'City' as it is not permitted for motorized vehicles to enter the site. But if you don’t want to walk, you can hire a horse or a horse-drawn carriage to take you through the one kilometre entrance, the Siq. For the elderly and/or handicapped, the Visitors' Centre, close to the entrance of the Siq, can issue a special permit (at an extra fee), for the carriage to go inside Petra to visit the main attractions. Once inside the site, you can hire a donkey, or for the more adventurous, a camel - both come with handlers and take designated routes throughout the site.

http://www.israel-hiking.co.il

• 4 weeks later...

Charlie,

We hve travelled the world many times , and Ican honestly say DONT MISS PETRA, it is worth any effort you have to make.

an amazing place and always brings back wonderful memories, even if ou have to pay peopleto carry u there, that first site as you look up and see the treasurey makes it bmore than worth it.

Fix it and do it!

You will thank me for telling you to.

Have fun

Regards

JimGib

My DH and I returned in Dec. from an Egypt & Jordan trip. On one of my last days in Egypt, I pulled a hamstring. When we got to Petra, here's what happened. I took a horse cart. From the visitors center the walk to the entrance is not bad, and then a short walk to where the horse carts are. You should be aware, however, that there is a limited number of the horsecarts available. We were with A&K and I wonder how things would have worked out without the pull from them. Make sure whoever you book with, that they can prearrange for the horsecart.

It should also be noted, you will be asked for a time to be picked up when you pay ( in advance ) for the cart. They take two passengers per cart. As has been mentioned here, it is not a leisurely ride. In fact, we heard later that one lady walked back up through the Siq, rather than take the jostling again. Also, something you never hear; from the Treasury, it's all downhill. Not steep, but when you're going back up, it can be difficult with an injury.

Horse carts only go to the Treasury, no further.

It is definately worth the effort. Also, the horsecart boys and the camel and donkey handlers will all take backsheesh. When I wanted to return early ( about an hour and a half ) I had no problem haggeling with the horsecart boy to take me back. For them, I think, the speed is all about getting the most rides in a day. If I had known how rough the ride down would be, I would have paid him to slow down. Likewise, my husband paid a donkey handler to take him back up to the treasury, despite being told the donkeys weren't allowed to go there.

Laurie

Kehei - thanks for the pointers. We are booking through a private tour and I will be sure to make the arrangments for Petra extremely clear. I spoke recently with another couple who did Petra. She has very bad rheumatoid arthritis and she seconded your comments. Maybe walking one way will be the answer. I so appreciate all your suggestions though - thank you so much for taking the time.

JimGib - I have no doubt that it's spectacular and do look forward to seing it in person. Heck, if I can do the Great Wall and Forbidden City, I can do this (at least in part). One way or the other, it'll happen.

Thanks!

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Petra. It is tough. There are carriages (!) if you want to call them that. They are steel and have only two wheels. The roadway is hard packed earth and the remains of Roman roads (stones). It is very bumpy. It is standard to take a carriage to the "treasury" but you need special arrangements to have a carriage past the treasury.

If you do have a carriage you will not get to see much. The drivers are in a hurry to get back and get other passengers. You will be taken directly past everything to the restaurant. There is no one to tell you what you are seeing or what any of the history is. It was a big waste of time and effort for me to try and see Petra.

The guide arranged the carriage and for me to be dropped off at the restaurant at the furthest point to meet with my group for lunch and to have me picked up to be taken back at the end. This meant that I sat at the restaurant for 5 hours not knowing anything. I would have been better off at the hotel resting up to see others sites.

I'm so sorry that you were 'dumped' like that. I guess I can understand the locals' need to earn as much as possible, but it would still be nice to at least have a chance to learn a bit about the site. The more I hear, the more I think that I am going to just work on building up my ability to walk farther distances and go from there. The carriages sound like a viable option for the trip back, but if we're going all that way to see Petra, then we are going to 'see' Petra.

Thanks for the warnings and your honest review!

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

The carts have no springs, and the horses pulling them all seem to have eaten beans that morning, but it is better than the uphill walk from the Treasury back to the Visitor Centre. It is possible, but not easy, to walk down and then find a cart driver who is willing to take you back, since they normally sell round trips; this is what we did.

There are some interesting carvings at various points in the Siq, but they are very worn and you probably would not spot them on your own. It is also a very pretty walk, with amazing different colors of stone, but you could probably appreciate that from the horse cart. Even without springs and being in close proximity to a gassy horse, I actually found the ride exhilerating, but you will need to keep a firm grip on the iron bar that goes across the front of the cart (the "driver" walks with the horse).

Archived