Serenade of the Seas or Zaandam?

ryansmama

My husband and I are taking our first cruise, and we've decided on Alaska in September. There are two ships/itineraries that we can't decide between...

The main difference is RC Serenade goes to Hubbard glacier and Icy Point and the Zaandam goes to Glacier Bay and Ketchican.

Both go to Juneau and Skagway, and both leave from Vancouver. They are both the same price for an inside room.

The ships are both fairly new and have gotten good reviews, so I'm thinking we'll base our decision on the intinerary?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Take a look at a shore excursion list and see what port offers you the most pertaining to your interests?? I give an edge to Glacier Bay having sailed both your listed glaciers and been to all the ports.

If going past the first week of Sept. be WELL prepared in your attire. You are going at the worse potential weather timeframe. Take a look at your port times too- mid Sept has dusk at 7pm. Some tours also aren't running. Excellent sales however.

I give an overall edge to HAL, excellent ship naturalists and cpts. who go out of their way for passenger enjoyment.

A big consideration here is ship class. Serenade is a larger ship with more bells and whistles than Zaandam. It is a matter of taste which you prefer.

We have cruised to Alaska on both big and small ships and each has its own advantages.

Glacier Bay is classic Alaska. It is truly wonderful. OTOH Hubbard Glacier is pretty spectacular, too.

Icy Strait Point is an interesting port. It is strictly controlled so you don't get masses of ships in at once. Ketchikan is the pre-eminent place for totems.

So -- for your first trip to Alaska, make a choice. What you miss on this trip, you can do on the next one!!:D

On the page in my sig file below you will find pics and reviews of several trips to Alaska, including one on Volendam sister to Zaandam. There is also a review of Serenade.

Whichever you pick you will have a GREAT cruise!

Thankyou for all the good advice -- I will have a look at the excursions and see what appeals to us the most. Both Glaciers do sound beautiful.

I've heard HAL is head and shoulders above RCCL, but if you look at the member reviews for these ships, people seem to love the Serenade quite a lot better. Hmmm...

I've heard HAL is head and shoulders above RCCL, but if you look at the member reviews for these ships, people seem to love the Serenade quite a lot better. Hmmm...

My first cruise was on the Zaandam, and my next 3 cruises were on RCI ships (Splendour, Jewel, and Monarch). I greatly preferred my RCI cruises to the HAL one, but none of them were to Alaska. There's no doubt that RCI builds beautiful ships, but itinerary is more important in Alaska, in my opinion. That's why I'm going to try HAL again next summer, for a different Alaska itinerary than the one we had on the beautiful Coral Princess.

You must be looking at the Sept. 14 roundtrip on the Zandam, because it does one-way cruises most of the season.

Thankyou for all the good advice -- I will have a look at the excursions and see what appeals to us the most. Both Glaciers do sound beautiful.

For some people the ship is very important. But Alaska is such a great location to cruise, for other's what's outside the ship is the priority- which includes me. :)

Determine what is your priority and go with what is best for your touring.

Archived