Galaxy - Sky deck versus Penthouse deck

sweethome

Hi everyone,

I'm about to book my very first cruise ever on Celebrity's Galaxy for Alaska and we're getting a Sky Suite. Most of the available cabins are on the Sky Deck with a few still remaining on the Penthouse Deck.

Is there something wrong with being on the Sky Deck?

Thanks,

Sweethome

We loved the Sky Deck on our sailing. As it's a much smaller deck, there was very rarely noise from foot traffic in the corridors. Plus the verandahs are larger and are free of any visual clutter (e.g. lifeboats) between you and the water. That being said, the verandahs are half-covered/half exposed and there is a pedestrian deck above the Sky Deck. At sail times it was not uncommon to have passengers on the deck above who had full view of the sun-exposed portion of your verandah. Even though signs prohibit jogging on the deck above the Sky Deck, there was the occasional "thump thump" from an errant runner. The good news is that the higher deck isn't used much by passengers so it amounted to a mild interference. I think the pros definitely outweigh any cons and have booked my stateroom on a future sailing of the Mercury on the same deck.

We loved the Sky Deck on our sailing. As it's a much smaller deck, there was very rarely noise from foot traffic in the corridors. Plus the verandahs are larger and are free of any visual clutter (e.g. lifeboats) between you and the water. That being said, the verandahs are half-covered/half exposed and there is a pedestrian deck above the Sky Deck. At sail times it was not uncommon to have passengers on the deck above who had full view of the sun-exposed portion of your verandah. Even though signs prohibit jogging on the deck above the Sky Deck, there was the occasional "thump thump" from an errant runner. The good news is that the higher deck isn't used much by passengers so it amounted to a mild interference. I think the pros definitely outweigh any cons and have booked my stateroom on a future sailing of the Mercury on the same deck.

We loved Sky Deck on Galaxy. We sailed her last March in cabin 1218 and the balcony was terrific, the butler the best and the services of the cabin steward (Sherwin) were outstanding. He worked so well with our butler (Elvis) that it was like having 2 butlers. The cabin was very large and the bathroom has a tub (and a phone!).

We love Galaxy and hope that when they refurb her they don't take away the atmosphere she has.

We sailed on Galaxy back in 2000 and stayed in a Cat 1 Suite on the Penthouse Deck and we had friends that went with us that had a Sky Suite up on the Sky Deck. Back then the Sky Suites on the Penthouse Deck were called Cat 1 Suites and because of their significantly smaller balcony, they were priced cheaper than the Sky Suites up on the Sky Deck.

Our friend's SS balcony was enormous--it was the largest on the ship, exceeding even that of the Penthouse Suite balcony.

So to me, we also would prefer (for the same money) to book a SS up on the Sky Deck versus the Penthouse Deck.

OK, what am I missing here? The Galaxy does not sail to Alaska any time in the forseeable future. Mercury perhaps? An M class?

Hi, you are not missing anything. Galaxy doesn't do Alaska.

Mercury does;) maybe the OP mixed up the ships.

Hi - OP here.

Yes, I mixed the ships up. It's really the Mercury. Since I've never sailed before I'm going to give myself a get out of jail free card! :)

So, any comments about Sky Deck on Mercury would be great.

Thanks,

Sweethome

Well, I am on the sky deck in March but have an inside cabin:eek:

Guess I will just have to find a spot at the pool bar...lots of deck

out there:D ;)

DH and I are in Sky Suite 1218 on the Mercury (Sky Deck) on the 3/29 coastal cruise. I am SO happy to hear the great comments about that deck! We just got off the Azamara Quest and, lovely as it all was and much as we enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to that larger balcony, even though it may be a bit too cool for breakfast out there.:)

Well, I am on the sky deck in March but have an inside cabin:eek:

Guess I will just have to find a spot at the pool bar...lots of deck

out there:D ;)

Lois, Right across the hall. Just give us a hollar! :D Oh, I can't remember if I told you, the bar up on our deck is upposed to have a great bartender. Orville or something like that?

Lois, Right across the hall. Just give us a hollar! :D Oh, I can't remember if I told you, the bar up on our deck is upposed to have a great bartender. Orville or something like that?

Hi Donna, hollar? I will knock first!:D

I have heard that name....maybe someone who has sailed

recently can confirm it. I keep forgetting the pool bar is on

our deck;)

• 1 month later...

You will love it! Just sailed Jan. 25 in room 1233 and we loved the spacious balcony, bigger room, larger bathroom, breakfast delivered to your balcony by your butler and especially the afternoon tea. I am now spoiled and would love a suite every time we cruise. Stanley our butler was great as was the room attendant. Your suite has the larger balcony. Ours was a cut out shape so we would see our neighbors if we were both out on the balcony at the same time. We still loved it! Wonderful on sea days just to sit out there instead of with the masses by the pool. Very quiet area of the ship, just noticed the sea movement a little more.

Hey guys.....I was very excited to have a conceirge class cabin on deck 12. Yes, there was the couple of times that people were standing above us at sail away, but they usually stepped away when they realized hubby and I were on our balcony! Also, I am thinking because we were on the sky deck, I did feel the ship rolling at night...not to bad....but I did notice it, and never have before!

Just wanted you to know, that the bar on deck 12...sky bar?? was only opened on the sea days. It was NEVER opened on port days....so we had to walk down the stairs to the pool bar on deck 11......we were sooo spoiled!

And Victoria, in the Stratosphere was the BEST bartender on board!!!;)

Hey guys.....I was very excited to have a conceirge class cabin on deck 12. Yes, there was the couple of times that people were standing above us at sail away, but they usually stepped away when they realized hubby and I were on our balcony! Also, I am thinking because we were on the sky deck, I did feel the ship rolling at night...not to bad....but I did notice it, and never have before!

Just wanted you to know, that the bar on deck 12...sky bar?? was only opened on the sea days. It was NEVER opened on port days....so we had to walk down the stairs to the pool bar on deck 11......we were sooo spoiled!

And Victoria, in the Stratosphere was the BEST bartender on board!!!;)

Thanks for the information:) I don't mind feeling the ship;)

lets me know I am on the seas.

As for that bar, I will be glad to walk over to the Stratosphere.

You are the 2nd or 3rd person who has mentioned how good Victoria

is:D I love finding great bartenders.

Can I pass along any wishes for you?

:D Lois, Tell Victoria to "call her mother" That was a standing joke with us..her mother now has text messaging...because calling costs so much! Eduardo(Victoria's brother in the Martini bar) told mom he was going to call her at "the next port" and never did, and mom stayed home all day waiting for their call!

I don't even know how to text message!!

You could also tell Victoria that Linda and Mikeeee(thats how she said it!) said hello, and Mike is sorry he missed saying "goodbye" to her...........he got too much sun and too much vodka into him the last day of the cruise!!! :rolleyes:

Lois, what side of deck 12 are you on?? We were odd..(in more ways then 1,maybe??) 1201 and we had Annie as our cabin steward.....what a girl!! Her assistant was Jesus, he was quiet, but very efficient and nice.

We actually spoke to Annie's "big BOSS" about how wonderful she was! We happened to meet him in an elevator one day!! As you probably know, the department managers walk around in their dress whites during the day...looking like a ships captain...so my hubby asked him...and he said he was the housekeeping head!! And we raved about Annie...

Also raved about some people in the guest card at the end of the cruise...very important!! While we were on board, they actually announced "employees of the month" at second seating, and the people who were nominated, had the whole day off(very unusual) and got to eat dinner with the captain, and they may have gotten a bonus or something, because we saw the captain handing the person an envelope . We all got to stand up and clap for these hard working employees!:D

Hi Linda, I am in 1242.

The employees were acknowledged in front of the passengers

in the Dining Room? :) WOW....How nice is that?????:D

I have never seen that before~AND a entire day off?

That is totally unusual. They are lucky to get a few hours

between meals!

I will definitely pass along your best wishes to both Victoria

and Eduardo.:)

Hi Lois

If you're on Sky Deck you may get Elvis for a butler. He's wonderful and so attentive. We had him last year in 1218 and the service was outstanding.

We thought Sky Deck was wonderful. Yes some of the balcony is exposed but it's enclosed enough for privacy. The cabin was our first sky suite and what a great amount of space. It's the first cruise where we didn't fill all the drawer space!

Pat C

We also were in 1201 with that huge balcony, on our November Galaxy cruise, and had Annie and Jesus as our cabin stewards. I agree, they were wonderful. Annie gave us a recipe for lumpia and pancit - Filipino dishes that we've had before and enjoyed. And Jesus can really open up once you get him going. They were both very personable with refreshing senses of humor, and they both added to the entire enjoyment of that particular cruise.

Mary

Archived