Grand Circle sells the Paul Gauguin

Can't find anything on this. Can you put a link to the article? Not really surprised -- Grand Circle was recently sold -- they probably could get lots of $$$ for the PG. It would have been nice if Regent purchased it - really a beautiful ship that travels to one of the best destinations in the world. I typically do not comment on the PG -- Tahiti is still incredible but is 100% different than it was in the 80's.. I miss what it (Tahiti) and the PG (prior to being purchased by GCT) were.........

if we were on the PG together back in Feb '04. I was blown away by what I experienced both in FP and on the PG when I sailed then and previously in 2001. I can't even imagine what you are speaking about back in the "80's".

Maybe that's what "shangri-la" is???

Still searching. . .

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

Your post realy made me smile. We were on Bora Bora and Moorea in 1982 (Club Med.) Bora Bora had some water issues (had a bucket in the shower to save water) -- but, they had plenty of power. . . really powered by coconuts that were laid by the side of the road by residents for pick-up. Moorea, on the other hand, would regularly lose electricity but had plenty of water. Wish the PG had been around then. . .

Is there a link to an article on this sale? I googled and could not find anything.

I was lucky enough to sail on the Paul Gauguin in 2000, a year I believe after she arrived. We were also lucky enough to spend a pre-cruise in Manihi, at the Pearl. I wonder how much the Tuomotus have changed since then--I'm betting not very much. Bora Bora was pretty much as it is now, although there are obviously more hotels (and shops I guess.) I wish I had seen Bora Bora when it was a lovely quiet place. The lagoon still rocks, however.

I see, so GCT was sold, presumably with the PG. So GCT didn't really *sell* the PG, or at least there's nothing I can see in these news articles about the PG.

I guess time will tell. Maybe the new management will be an improvement--GCT certainly didn't do a very good job.

The lease is reviewed on a yearly basis so even though the contract may be through 2009 or 10 there could be changes. I can't believe that the PG has not been profitable for both sides.

I heard from my TA who didn't what to expect with the change.

The Princess line cut back some of its ships in the area to only seasonal cruises instead of year around.

Archived