Galveston Best Western Beachfront

Patybear

Located at 5914 Seawall Blvd. Has anyone ever stayed there? We are only staying one night pre cruise. Can we walk to The Strand? Are we close enough to walk and see the Mardi Gras parades on 2/2/08? Would any one know approximately how much a cab from this hotel to the cruise port would be?

Thanks for any information!

I can answer a couple of your questions. Although Galveston overall is a small island and distances aren't great, i is some distance from Seawall Blvd. to the Strand - not walking distance. Although there is a Mardi Gras parade on Seawall Blvd., I'm thinking it is earlier in the week and that the Saturday night parade would be the one going down the Strand. Have no experience staying at the Best Western but it is in an okay area and looks fine from the street. Hopefully you will get some better information on it.

I've stayed there. Relatively newer property, nice enough functional rooms with mini-fridge & microwave. It's located within walking distance of a Kroger supermarket & some fast food joints.

However, it's about 3 miles away from the Strand. I do believe Galveston has a trolley service. Not sure of the schedule, though.

I know you can't see this map even if you click on it to make it bigger, but you hotel would be in the bottom left hand corner near 61st street and the Seawall. The Strand is the pinkish area on the map.

You can find a larger version of this map and a lot more information about the trolley system at galveston.com

We stayed at this Best Western a year ago, and it was perfectly fine--in fact, it exceeded my expectations. We even left our car there while we did a 14-day B2B and weren't charged a penny (not sure if they still allow that, so check first). Don't recall the price of the cab, but it was reasonable.

(Hi, Dude/Tom! I see your Voyager cruises are almost here. Hope you have a wonderful time!)

... and see the Mardi Gras parades on 2/2/08? ...
... I do believe Galveston has a trolley service. Not sure of the schedule, though.

For Mardi Gras! Galveston 2008 info, click here http://www.galveston.com/mardigras/ and then Parades & Processions on the right for a guide.

For Galveston Island Rail Trolley Schedule, click here http://www.islandtransit.net/main.htm. The page also has a place to click Map. It shows a good route map & the prices.

I hope this additional information will be helpful!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

We have stayed @ Bestwestern on Seawall. Ditto, Krogers and restaurants are within walking distance, also, beach is just across the street. Just take a cab to the Strand or driving is plenty easy enough. The room was just fine and would stay here again. Taxi to Conquest cruise terminal was 15.00. They have a very pretty pool and staff were friendly enough. Breakfast was fine.

• 3 weeks later...
We stayed at this Best Western a year ago, and it was perfectly fine--in fact, it exceeded my expectations. We even left our car there while we did a 14-day B2B and weren't charged a penny (not sure if they still allow that, so check first). Don't recall the price of the cab, but it was reasonable.

I'm so GLAD :D to hear that you liked it since that is where we are booked. I was told Tortuga's Cantina was close by with excellent Mexican food. We leave this Saturday, whoooo-hoooo, for Galveston and then out on Sunday aboard the Conquest. Thanks:)

I'm so GLAD :D to hear that you liked it since that is where we are booked. I was told Tortuga's Cantina was close by with excellent Mexican food. We leave this Saturday, whoooo-hoooo, for Galveston and then out on Sunday aboard the Conquest. Thanks:)

Good! I'm glad I helped. Or hope I did, if your assessment agrees with mine!

Try to work up a little excitement for your cruise now.;) ;) :D The rest of us at home will be downright jealous!

Archived