travel insurance question

Okay, I know I could call RCL with this but I thought I would try this board first since RCL always has a dozen answers to the same question.:D

I want to be prepared because we have a friend with an ailing mother and perhaps someone has had similiar experience.

Let's say you are sharing the Royal Family Suite with 4 others and after final payment a couple had to cancel their trip because of a medical emergency--ailing mother. (they had travel insurance let's say so they are covered)

Would the remaining people in the suite be charged the difference for them canceling?

Would RCL allow a subsitute couple?

I'm pretty sure that:

1. If they had insurance, their insurance policy would cover the cost for them to cancel. I'm not sure how the RFS works, though, so I'm not the best to answer your question. If you paid full fare, though, them cancelling shouldn't affect you.

2. You can substitute another couple, as long as it's done early enough to get all the ship manifest information. I can't remember the deadline, but it's something like one to three days prior to sailing.

Good question! No help here except to keep this on the first page or two.

FYI

The more specific you are with a question though, the more responses you usually get. Your question looks too much like the standard post of "Do I need Insurance" etc. so many will just skip over it.

No you would not be charged the difference. We sailed in a RFS, originally booked with 5 then cancelled 1 and sailed with 4.

And it would probably depend on the ships capacity and how close to sailing you tried to add more people. Also if you do add more people they would be paying the current going rate, which may or may not be different from the original rate.

Good question! No help here except to keep this on the first page or two.

FYI

The more specific you are with a question though, the more responses you usually get. Your question looks too much like the standard post of "Do I need Insurance" etc. so many will just skip over it.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know what to call it :)

My guess is that since the RFS requires a minimum of 5, we would have to pay for 5 even if someone canceled.

We were planning on spliting the whole fare among all of us so if someone cancels out I guess we would all have to make up the difference.

The RFS charges the 1st two people in the suite the most ($2500. approx pp) and extras a lot less! ($499. pp) So, we would cover the more expensive people anyway.

I was hoping someone may of have some experience with this ---THANKS!:)

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know what to call it :)

My guess is that since the RFS requires a minimum of 5, we would have to pay for 5 even if someone canceled.

We were planning on spliting the whole fare among all of us so if someone cancels out I guess we would all have to make up the difference.

The RFS charges the 1st two people in the suite the most ($2500. approx pp) and extras a lot less! ($499. pp) So, we would cover the more expensive people anyway.

I was hoping someone may of have some experience with this ---THANKS!:)

Very difficult question to answer.

If the passenger cancels after final payment the insurance company will make up the difference between their fare and their refund from RCL. (If they don't request any refund that they are entitled to the insurance may not pay anything.)

Since the RFS requires 5 passengers you might be moved if there is a demand for it. (There is more income to RCL from that cabin than just the fare, don't forget fuel charges and gratuities.)

Your best bet is going to be to find some one else to take their place.

Very difficult question to answer.

If the passenger cancels after final payment the insurance company will make up the difference between their fare and their refund from RCL. (If they don't request any refund that they are entitled to the insurance may not pay anything.)

Since the RFS requires 5 passengers you might be moved if there is a demand for it. (There is more income to RCL from that cabin than just the fare, don't forget fuel charges and gratuities.)

Your best bet is going to be to find some one else to take their place.

The fuel charge is only for 1st two people in any cabin but, you are right about the tips:)

Archived