Princess Milford Sound to Dunedin - Overland Tour

Tyrkitty

We are considering doing this tour in April. Has anyone reserved the tour and then later learned it was canceled due to not enough people signing up or bad weather? I have to make a decision by the end of January and am concerned about it possibly being canceled and not having anything planned for Dunedin. We only have two ports in New Zealand (Dunedin and Auckland) will probably not have another chance to visit - feel this would be a great way to at least see more of the countryside. Would love to hear from others who have done this and any who may have planned to and then it didn't happen. I have searched and read the existing comments on this subject. Sounds like a great Tour even though we would miss cruising the other fjords.

For what it's worth, we have driven between Denedin and Milford Sound. It's truly one of the worlds great road journeys. I won't spoil it by describing it, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in that respect.

I can't comment on other parts of the tour as I'm, not familiar with it.

We are considering doing this tour in April. Has anyone reserved the tour and then later learned it was canceled due to not enough people signing up or bad weather? I have to make a decision by the end of January and am concerned about it possibly being canceled and not having anything planned for Dunedin. We only have two ports in New Zealand (Dunedin and Auckland) will probably not have another chance to visit - feel this would be a great way to at least see more of the countryside. Would love to hear from others who have done this and any who may have planned to and then it didn't happen. I have searched and read the existing comments on this subject. Sounds like a great Tour even though we would miss cruising the other fjords.

We are scheduled for the tour January 28. According to Celebrity, it is sold out.

I do not know how many people can go.

We will be home on the 6th of Feb so I will write and let you know.

We have also heard incredible things aboutr the area.

Temma

For what it's worth, we have driven between Denedin and Milford Sound. It's truly one of the worlds great road journeys. I won't spoil it by describing it, but I don't think you'll be disappointed in that respect.

I can't comment on other parts of the tour as I'm, not familiar with it.

Kia ora i Aotearoa (=Greetings from NZ)

Having lived in Dunedin & travelled/worked in the region in question I wholly agree with the above comments. Part of the Lord of the Rings film was filmed in the region. A part of NZ well worth seeing.

Nāku noa nā (= Yours sincerely)

Aquarians

Temma,

Please do post after your trip. I am on the 31 day SYD to LA with Princess and am holding this excursion as I understand it sells out early. I think this will be our one and only time to Australia and I want to make the most of it. I am really looking forward to your comments.

Have a great trip!!!

Charlene

I have recently returned from a holiday in New Zealand, and I highly recommend any journey that takes you across the beautiful New Zealand landscape. Curious, I don't know what time you arrive in Dunedin, or when your ship leaves, but there is a tour out of Dunedin with Elm Wildlife tours that begins at 3 pm, and returns about 5-6 hour late where you view Albatros, fur seals, and penguins. If you have the time, this tour is a must do. On the other hand, if you don't have time for this wildlife tour, there's also a tour of the Cadbury Chocolate factory in downtown Dunedin, close to the famous train station. Hum, free samples, yum! Anyhow, if you have the opportunity to travel between Milford Sound and Dunedin, then definately sign up. Don't delay.

Charlene,

Glad to hear you are planning to do the Overland. Fred and I are also reserved on it for the Sapphire 31 day. I hope you are right and it does sell out (or at least have the minimum) so we can do it. At least I know there are 4 of us.

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Helen

I was reading another review on this area on Fodor's and it suggests that we buy Ultraguard insect repellant for sand flies prior to embarking on the journey. I can't wait for Temma to get back so she can post about this excursion. I need to make the most of this trip but unlike a lot of others on our original thread I am not sure we will make a second trip out to Australia.

charlene

I was reading another review on this area on Fodor's and it suggests that we buy Ultraguard insect repellant for sand flies prior to embarking on the journey.
Insect repellent (anything containing DEET is good) is a definite must have for the Milford Sound area!

Charlene,

We have some of the wipes containing Deet and I sent you an email with some pictures of Fred and I in our protective gear. Hope you get a laugh. Hope Temma will remember to post here when she gets back.

Helen

I was in New Zealand in November, and we did encounter black flies. I am just reporting here that black flies are indeed nasty. They're very small, one would think they would't be a problem, but they're all teeth. However, we were in many areas where we did not encounter black flies. Bringing high deet level repellent is a must, but pending where you'll be, you may not even need it. For us, some places we encountered black flies, other places not. To be honest, on our 18 day trip, it was only a very few occasions where they were a problem, maybe we were lucky, maybe it could have been worse. But, they were so nasty on those few times, that they leave a big impression on the memory, as well as skin bites. In short, bring deet just in case you need it, but don't fret over them as you may not even have a problem. Just be prepared becasue if they are where you are at, you'll find them to be mean little critters.

Helen

I was reading another review on this area on Fodor's and it suggests that we buy Ultraguard insect repellant for sand flies prior to embarking on the journey. I can't wait for Temma to get back so she can post about this excursion. I need to make the most of this trip but unlike a lot of others on our original thread I am not sure we will make a second trip out to Australia.

charlene

Too bloody right about the sandflies!!!! I had to take antihistamines when I got back to work so I wouldn't scratch all day after a trip to South island NZ. The thing is you don't feel them biting like you do with mossies.

Just a little bit of advice about driving from Milford Sound - the first bit is very hairy. Driving through the Homer Tunnel. When we drove through it in 2002 it didn't have any lights, it does now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Tunnel

• 2 weeks later...
Helen

charlene

Temma is back, alas. This was a truly incredible cruise.

The overnight trip was worth the excursion at twice the price. The Southern Alps are just spectacular as is Queenstown. The drivers stop at every significant place along the Heritage Road. FYI Bungie Jumping is free for anyone over 75. We had a 76 year old man bungie jump. His wife thought it was great. He has the pictures to show his sons. We were at the winery when they went back to let him jump. He got the free shirt too.

The hotel was beautiful and the town is a very upscale community with this huge lake with the Remarkable Mountain range reflected in the water.

We had no bugs anywhere in New Zealand. It was no humidity and @ 70-75 F.

We only had rain during our precruise visit in Sydney but then we had a lovely beach day in Manly.

We saw the snow on the side of the road and more fjords that the mist let the boat people see. FYI The tender is a tour boat not one from the shoip so you go into Milford Sound.

More Questions:

TemmaK(@)Verizon(dot)net

Now I'm really happy we have signed up for this tour. Sounds like you had a great time. How many from your cruise were on the Overland? Since our ship only stops and Dunedin and Auckland it just seems wrong not to see more of New Zealand and you have confirmed that for me.

Now I'm really happy we have signed up for this tour. Sounds like you had a great time. How many from your cruise were on the Overland? Since our ship only stops and Dunedin and Auckland it just seems wrong not to see more of New Zealand and you have confirmed that for me.

I will be thinking of you. Just make sure you have good memory cards. We had a defective one and there is just so much to capture.

You will love the farm and the sheep shearing. The men were fascinated by the boat that steams along the lake in Queenstown. This was the transport to the farm for dinner. It is a larger version of the "African Queen."

If you are into ships etc. the Maritime Museum in Auckland is great. There are two for one coupons in local books and the coast for one senior was $11 NZD. That was a great deal. Then just walk around the harbor and check out the incredible sailing ships.

Have a grand time!

Temma

Archived