?? Question: What time is boarding at Port of Civitavecchia (Rome?)

Morgsmom

:) We depart 23 November on Costa Concordia, late at 8:00pm. For anyone who has boarded from that port, what time does the ship really start to board? I am accustomed to the 11:00am type Caribbean boardings (that offically are supposed to be 1pm). I don't want to get there too early, nor too late.... thanks!

Hi, recognised your user name. Are you Morgan's mum from Costa Magica December 2006? We went on the Belize tour together and the children ate at your table on the last night with Erica? Have I got the right person?

I never did get around to e-mailing anyone from that cruise - did you? The week after you left, the ship was absolutely packed. The dining table were so crowded (extra people seated around them) that you could hardly move and dinner took much longer. The extra passengers were mostly Italians. But it was a really good week and they had Santa and everything for the children.

When I saw your name and asking for info cruising from Rome, I thought we might be on the same cruise again. But we ara sailing in March - so not to be. Which parts are visiting? We are on Costa Serena out to Canary Islands in the Atlantic and back. Again good price for children.

Did you even hera from Erica's mum? We were out in Orlando for 3 weeks in August this year with my sister and her family. We did a week's cruise on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas.

Tracey, Katie and Emily

Morgsmom,

We boarded Concordia in Rome last October.We booked Costa transfers from the airport so arrived at the ship about 2pm and were onboard within about 5 minutes, no queues at all. I'm not sure what time boarding actually starts but I would think it is quite early since they don't have the whole ship getting off. The week we were on the largest number of people getting on/off seemed to be in Savona, although there were people embarking at almost every port.

Julie

Yes, that is us :) Morgan & Donna from the Magica Dec 06 (then again, March 07 for good measure!) We are doing our first Med cruise, but not until November (the children have that week off of school.) Wonderful to hear from you! Have a terrific cruise yourself.

Help me to understand -- not everyone debarks? or folks embark at different ports of call? We have been on many cruises but with the exception of one family who got off of the boat in Belize (because it was cheaper for them to cruise on Costa with 2 kids than buy 4 plane tix) I have never seen anyone enter/exit before a cruise was done. (Unless they were the kids detained by the authorities in Jamaica last March :eek: )

Hi,

Costa offers some Med-Cruises where it is possible to embark in for example: Savon, Barcelona or Civitavecchia. If you embark in Civitavecchia, yozr cruise ends in Civitavecchia, if you embark in Barcelona your cruise ends in Barcelona.

This way people have more possibilities to get to the ship, as you can fly into multiple ports. For Europeans Savona is a port often used for embarkation as there are 3 airports from where you can reach the port and costa offers transfer via bus from Germany to Savona.

So, you could say multiple embarkation is their way to make sure the ship is well booked.

Donna (I had forgotten your name),

Yes, our cruise in March, we embark in Savona. However, you could also embark the day before in Rome which is what we wanted to do - but this was full. I didn't know that you had the option to board in Barcelona though - this didn't show up on the UK website.

When we sailed with Costa out of Venice, we stopped in Southern Italy at a small place called Bari. Nothing to see there, but hundreds of Italians left the ship that day and hundreds more got on. It saves them travelling north.

Tracey

PS What was Erica's mum called?

We live in Spain and usually the embarcation in Barcelona is for Europeans but may alter the web site usually shows where you can embarkie. We are sailing on the Atlantica in FEB and will embark in Dom.Rep. but most people will embark in Guadalupe

We live in Spain and usually the embarcation in Barcelona is for Europeans but may alter the web site usually shows where you can embarkie. We are sailing on the Atlantica in FEB and will embark in Dom.Rep. but most people will embark in Guadalupe

Erica's mother is Cheryl :)

Thanks to all for clarifying that issue, though had I known that I would have had more flexibility when booking the airfare which was :eek: !!! I'll have to consider that again when looking at future European sailings from Florida (since the air to BCN is sometimes less expensive that trying to get to GOA/MIL).

Archived