Driver license may not be legal ID to Feds

cruzincurt

Our local newspaper ran an article about the fact that the Feds (homeland security) are requiring states to join their federal ID system. If they don't, certain state's drivers licenses will not be acceptable as ID at airports or to enter federal buildings.

This could put a crimp on cruisers trying to fly to a port. The passport or federal ID card will eventually be the only way to travel. So it appears the feds will force states to comply or face the consequences.

What is coming next, my fellow Americans, is when we will have to go down to some musty federal office and stand in line to get "travel papers".

Link to newspaper article:

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/12/Worldandnation/Sign_on_to_license_pl.shtml

The time will come, sooner or later, when a passport will be necessary on leaving the USA for another country and on returning. When that is in effect, internal intra-state regulations will not be a problem as you will be carrying your passport.

I don't see this as a big deal at all.

My paper had the same article... this is what stuck out at me:

"States have four months to get on board with the REAL ID Act or risk the consequences, Homeland Secretary Michael Chertoff warned Friday. If states want their licenses to remain valid for air travel after May, they must seek a waiver indicating that they want more time to comply with the legislation."

My state, Maine, is one of these states. If this goes through as written without delays, as of May of this year (2008) our licenses will not be accepted as a valid form of ID for air travel... even travel within the US where we are not required to use a Passport. We have Passports, so it's a non-issue for my family... however, if you are from one of the 17 states objecting to the new law (and your state doesn't apply for a waiver) you could be denied boarding if you try to use your DL as ID.

The age delay based on birth date is for residents of states which have agreed to impliment the REAL ID Act. If your state hasn't, the age delay won't help you. The delay allows the states to issue the new licenses over time... not all at once. Older people get the longest time because statistically they/we are not in the "most likely to be a terrorist" age group. ONE good thing about getting older. :)

California is another state that is requiring the new Driver's License to fly from the state, but as others have stated, we have our passports (and fall on the other side of '64) so are not as concerned as some of our younger friends.

Considering the alternative, i.e. not cruising at all, I'll happily get a new card.

It is what it is.

Charlie

California is another state that is requiring the new Driver's License to fly from the state, but as others have stated, we have our passports (and fall on the other side of '64) so are not as concerned as some of our younger friends.

Considering the alternative, i.e. not cruising at all, I'll happily get a new card.

It is what it is.

Charlie

It is only if we allow it.

It's a bad law with even worse implementation by DHS. I can see many reasons for government wanting its citizens to have identity papers . . . most of them nefarious. airplane safety is not one of them!

It is what it is.

Charlie

It's a bad law with even worse implementation by DHS. I can see many reasons for government wanting its citizens to have identity papers . . . most of them nefarious. airplane safety is not one of them!

It is what it is.

Charlie

If your state DL is deemed federally unacceptable for air travel, you will need that passport to fly anywhere within the US, not just foreign travel. And a DL unacceptable for domestic flight will also be unnacceptable for boarding a cruise ship.

You could also use the new passcard for domestic flights or cruises, but if you don't already have one, you may not be able to use your state DL to apply for a passport or a passcard. This is a very big stick the DHS is swinging around and it sounds as if they really do intend to make daily life onerous for residents of the states that object to the parameters of the Real ID act.

The REAL ID was NOT designed to facilitate boarding an airplane. Yes, it will be required at some point in the future, but that was not the intent.

It was designed (per the recommendation of the 911 Commission) to make it more difficult for terrorists, identity thieves and illegals from getting a driver's license. Once a driver's license is obtained, the whole entire US welfare, banking and government system (voting) is wide open.

Arizona issues licenses from age 21 to age 60 ONCE. You don't have to go back for eye tests, driving tests, or to see if it is even the original owner still using the license. The licenses are duplicated all the time. Tennessee doesn't require any proof of residency or that you are legally in the country. Many, many states have VERY sloppy procedures for issuing drivers licenses to just about anyone that asks.

Since I own an international logistics company and hire over the road truck driver's all the time, I see licenses from all over the US. Believe me, some of them presented are obviously bogus. But some, I really have to take a look at. I have had three guys in the last 4 months apply for jobs in Arizona. My sharp eyed admin noticed that although the picture, license number and name and address were different, the issue date was the same. They are now trying to explain to ICE why they all have the same license (which is another criminal violation, as well as being here illegally).

I welcome REAL ID. When you can pay $350.00 for DL, SS and sometimes a birth certificate at Maryvale Park in Phoenix, don't you want to know WHO is REALLY in our country???

The REAL ID was NOT designed to facilitate boarding an airplane. Yes, it will be required at some point in the future, but that was not the intent.

It was designed (per the recommendation of the 911 Commission) to make it more difficult for terrorists, identity thieves and illegals from getting a driver's license. Once a driver's license is obtained, the whole entire US welfare, banking and government system (voting) is wide open.

Arizona issues licenses from age 21 to age 60 ONCE. You don't have to go back for eye tests, driving tests, or to see if it is even the original owner still using the license. The licenses are duplicated all the time. Tennessee doesn't require any proof of residency or that you are legally in the country. Many, many states have VERY sloppy procedures for issuing drivers licenses to just about anyone that asks.

Since I own an international logistics company and hire over the road truck driver's all the time, I see licenses from all over the US. Believe me, some of them presented are obviously bogus. But some, I really have to take a look at. I have had three guys in the last 4 months apply for jobs in Arizona. My sharp eyed admin noticed that although the picture, license number and name and address were different, the issue date was the same. They are now trying to explain to ICE why they all have the same license (which is another criminal violation, as well as being here illegally).

I welcome REAL ID. When you can pay $350.00 for DL, SS and sometimes a birth certificate at Maryvale Park in Phoenix, don't you want to know WHO is REALLY in our country???

bravo. welcome to the real world

I said this a few months back as was told i had no idea what i was talking about. Well guess what?

The time will come that you will need a passport or other NATIONAL i.d for air travel WITHIN the United States. This is the way that the US government will force you to get a NATIONAL ID CARD. They were talking about this just after 9-11. It was said to be unconstitutional to require a national id, but this is the way around it. I for one have no problem with this at all. We should have a national id, not a state issued id, they are too easy to fake and brings up another subject that is a big issues these days. Which is better off not said on this forum as it has nothing to do with cruising.

Tim

Archived