Norovirus on Spirit

ctdahlquist

The crew on the Spirit cleaned and cleaned. One day we came into our room and it smelled like bleach. They sanitized everything. I think they shoud be more strict with the hand sanitizers all the time. You can't get a plate without using it. People were still grabbing the tongs as they stood there because they can't wiat for help. Unreal. but oh well. I think they did what they could do in the circumstances.

room 10611, 10610, 10608. My son vomited the night we were leaving (sat night Sun. morning) and my sister vomited maybe thursday. Nothing serious like what I have heard.

Of 348 such outbreaks reported to CDC during January 1996–November 2000, a total of 39% occurred in restaurants; 29% occurred in nursing homes and hospitals; 12% in schools and day care centers; 10% in vacation settings, including cruise ships; and 9% in other settings.

Therefore, cruise ships outbreak percentage is LESS than 10%.

More than 90% of norovirus outbreaks occur elsewhere.

Source > http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/rr5009.pdf

More information that might be of interest.

For 348 outbreaks of NLV gastroenteritis reported to CDC during January 1996–November 2000, food was implicated in 39%, person-to-person contact in 12%, and water in 3%; 18% could not be linked to a specific transmission mode.

Read it and weep.:p

Thanks for the info. I can certainly appreciate documented information, rather than just opinion when it comes to this. Something is traveling around my childrens' schools, and so I am sending them with hand sanitizer, they are taking immunity pills (echinacea, golden root and other immunity boosting stuff), and drinking lots of water.....but they might get it anyway...should I not send my kids to school? :confused:

I am looking forward to being on the Spirit in 5 days!

People were still grabbing the tongs as they stood there because they can't wiat for help.

The degree of noncompliance was surprising - I saw folks grab the bowls so they wouldn't have to face the plate lady and her mandatory sanitizer, in addition to everybody who went ahead and served themselves from the buffet because they are a little too special to wait ten seconds. People grumbled when they were sprayed while reboarding at ports, and more than once I walked past a public bathroom door as it opened to the sound of a flushing toilet - if that person did wash their hands, they didn't wash nearly long enough! Yeah, passenger compliance would do much to help the spread once the virus has a foothold.

There were far bigger infectious threats that are just part of travelling to Central America that people don't get nearly as wigged out about - sure, noro on vacation sucks, but I'd rather face it than hepatitis A or malaria and both those are endemic to the countries the Spirit visited.

I thank the OP and others for sharing their experiences on the Spirit, however I think that there are too many people on the boards jumping to conclusions regarding the norovirus.

It is NOT something that is only a problem for NCL, but is something that everyone traveling in the winter should be aware of. As stated earlier, it is a problem for every cruise line. The Queen Victoria just had a well-publicized outbreak (http://www.mgn.com/news/dailystorydetails.cfm?storyid=8400 ). But if you are thinking of canceling your cruise because of the possibility of norovirus, don’t plan on a land vacation either. A resort in the Dominican Republic recently had an outbreak (http://travel.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2007/08/16/4423178-cp.html) and so did the Hilton near Dulles airport in DC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16709263/ ).

If you want to stay home to avoid norovirus, you should also beware. An elementary school in East Lyme, CT was shut down before Christmas because of it (http://www.nbc30.com/news/14903950/detail.html), and the cities of New York, Boston, and Tucson (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/165081) have all reported serious outbreaks.

My point...getting sick is a part of life. It could happen anywhere, but yes, it is never fun when it strikes you on vacation. My boyfriend and I will be sailing on the Spirit in April, and even with the current engine trouble, rumors of bed bugs, and potential for illness, we’re not going to cancel or let it ruin our much-needed vacation. With the knowledge of other traveler’s experiences, we’ll go prepared but not let it taint our expectations of having a fun and relaxing trip together.

Why can't people freakin wash there hands??? I'll be doing alot of that when I go in about 5 weeks. Not silly enough to cancel...just smart enough to take precautions and hope for the best. It's everywhere people. I work in Public Health....not just ships. They can only do so much.

I'm sorry for all the extreme venting going on on this thread. My intention was only to keep tabs on the situation on the current cruise, but it appears I started a firestorm. Here are some of my observations:

Go to the CDC website, and you will see outbreaks on all cruise lines. I was unable to detect it being any worse on NCL. Previous studies have shown that initial infections may be food borne, in that an infected crew member accidently contaminates food products, and then it begins spreading person to person. Another possibility is passengers bringing this on board and then it spreads. It has nothing to do with NCL running the vessel.

I work at a university, and I've gotten this bug many times in the past. I had it last winter, in fact, but it lasted only about 18 hours, so I know what to expect if it happens. Hopefully, the strain I had last year is similar enough to the strain on the Spirit, so that I have some immunity.

Some of the conjecture and information being passed along here is pure nonsense. I can understand how getting sick can ruin a vacation, but you know what? %@ happens! We always want someone to blame. We want to hold someone responsible. The real culprit here is mother nature, but it isn't in vogue to hold mother nature responsible. People get sick, and it is unfortunate that it happens while on vacation, but it is a reality of life. How we deal with it says a lot about our character, and I believe, our ability to live a happy life.

Thanks for coming back. People tend to go whacko over noro and what they think might stop its spread, etc. You are exactly right what you are saying here. Things happen, but people are just in panic mode over what in the scheme of things is a minor but VERY unpleasant virus.

Just in case the Spirit cruisers who were in Cabin 9710 see this, could you let me know if there were bedbugs or virus problems?

Our first cruise ever was on the Spirit to Alaska in 2004. We sailed on her a second time in 2005 - the infamous "Animal House at Sea" cruise.

It's a very special ship to us, and we love her dearly. Can't help but be apprehensive. I can handle the loss of an engine and not enough time to snorkel off Roatan; however, bedbugs and Noro Virus are in whole different categories! :eek:

There's no way we will cancel. Our plane reservations are made, and we'll be boarding on January 27. Wish us luck!

And, "No." We are not in a panic - just asking for information about our cabin in hopes someone will know. Thanks!

Maybe someone will read this and choose not to book with Spirit or, at least, be prepared for what they may have to go throw on what they intended to be a great family trip. I sure wish I had been warned before I got on that ship.

Warned about what? The possibility of Noro which is a possibility on any ship that you go on? I don't really understand how anyone could have warned you about this situation. Please enlighten me if you will...

Archived