Open Dining with Allergy

GeriatricNurse

DW, who has a severe allergy to nuts, & I have been confirmed for "open" dining onboard ms Statendam for our upcoming 14-Day Auckland-Sydney cruise next month.

How may she be assured that she will be not be served any food items containing nuts, in either solid or crushed form, considering that we will dining at a different table, with different wait staff as well in different dining venues?

This will our first cruise with HAL in "open" dining! Before, dining with traditional, she completed a menu at dinner, for the next dinner, which then was approved by the ?Chef, so that she would be assured at the next dinner that she would not be served food containing nuts?

Thank you for any & all suggestions.

Ward

DW, who has a severe allergy to nuts, & I have been confirmed for "open" dining onboard ms Statendam for our upcoming 14-Day Auckland-Sydney cruise next month.

How may she be assured that she will be not be served any food items containing nuts, in either solid or crushed form, considering that we will dining at a different table, with different wait staff as well in different dining venues?

This will our first cruise with HAL in "open" dining! Before, dining with traditional, she completed a menu at dinner, for the next dinner, which then was approved by the ?Chef, so that she would be assured at the next dinner that she would not be served food containing nuts?

Thank you for any & all suggestions.

Ward

The first thing I would try is calling HAL and explaining the situation, and try to get changed to set seating. If that doesn't work, then as soon as you board, go directly to the dining room and discuss with them. You may have to take AYW for the first night, but they should be able to switch you.

Cheers,

You can also see the maitre'd once you get on the ship, explain your situation and ask to be seated at the same table each evening with the same waiter.

That way the dining room steward can show you the next evening's menu so that you can check it over and find our about the various dishes.

DH and I just experienced AYW Dining for the first time on the Oosterdam. There will be someone that you can speak with on the ship but also as suggested you can certainly talk with those in charge of the seating. DH and I were able to have the same table with the same wait staff every night when we called at 8 a.m. to make the dinner reservations. Be advised that the one thing we found was that if we wanted a specific table we had to eat at the same time. Now that wasn't a problem for us except that it was 45 minutes before we normally have dinner. So, it becomes more of a "Fixed" dining situation.

I know that several people were not happy with the open seating assignment and did not get changed to fixed seating. I would recommend that you get a note from your physician to take along just as extra leverage. Finally, don't forget to consider talking to the Front Office if necessary.

My father has severe allergies and was on the Noordam in October with AYWD. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY AS RESPECTS THE NOORDAM CRUISE IN OCTOBER 2007. They did not change him to assigned seating as the ship was full; they did give him the menu each night to review for the next night (same way as always).

Since my parents do like to eat early, the Maitre D' made sure they had the same table/waiter each night. However, they did have to call each morning to do this.

I don't know how that would work for later dining times (since, it appears making reservations for certain times works - or does not- depending on your specific ship and/or sailing date). Some here have been able to make reservations each day for any time during the AYWD times; however, specifically on the October 2007 sailing of the Noordam, it was only specific times that were allowed to be reserved.

They were, per my parents, very lovely about helping; it was just a "different" experience. They were happy and Dad did not once run into any foul up - kudos to the Noordam's kitchen and service staff on that!!

I am sorry, but whats the big deal? The very same menu is served to both AYWD and traditional seating. I asked our waiters every night on the VOLENDAM (we had AYWD) about peanuts in any form in dishes as I have an allergy. I was told by our waiter the first night that the complete wait staff is provided information before dinner on every dish as to how its prepared and what are the ingriedients that could cause modt common allergies. They are also required to sample all the dishes to further help in providing menu choices for guests. So having the same waiter every night is not going to guarrantee that he knowes any more than any other waiter about whether any nuts or other allergy ingriedients are in the dishes.

Terry - I think it's more of a matter of personal comfort level. I know it's that way with my Dad and DH (who also has severe allergies). They feel that once they know the waiter and get situated with them, that there's a trust level that is there that may not exist otherwise. It may be false comfort, but it provides them some small comfort that I am unwilling to take away from either of them. HAL seems to understand this and has done, for all of us at least, everything possible to ensure smooth service and attention to detail that makes them wonderful.

And, before the regular question comes up, no, we really do not go out to eat other than one specific steakhouse that we have been going to for years and is aware of the allergy issues. And, we do get the same waiter each time there as well (unless he is not in, then the Maitre D' assists to be certain all is fine for us).

That's why cruising is so wonderful for Mom and I. It gives us the flexibility to have some other foods that we wouldn't normally be able to have since we won't cook them for ourselves.

I am allergic to shellfish. I tell every waiter I come in contact with in every restaurant. I don't see a cruise ship situation as being any different.

It isn't different. It's just that it would be nice to be able to do it all ONCE instead of starting over every single night.

Also, I think there are fewer dishes where they hide shellfish than dishes where they hide nuts, sesame, peanuts, etc.

We tend not to go to new restaurants very often, and when we do, we hold up the service for quite some time discussing allergy issues. That doesn't matter as much when it's just us at the table, but if we're dining with others I could see it get tiring.

Imagine if you had a WHEAT allergy....

It isn't different. It's just that it would be nice to be able to do it all ONCE instead of starting over every single night.

Also, I think there are fewer dishes where they hide shellfish than dishes where they hide nuts, sesame, peanuts, etc.

We tend not to go to new restaurants very often, and when we do, we hold up the service for quite some time discussing allergy issues.

Imagine if you had a WHEAT allergy....

One of my Dad's is onion....that stuff hides *everywhere* - in powder form, ground, etc. in gravies, in rubs/marinades...

One of DH's is egg. It's everywhere from ice cream on through certain potato dishes and pasta in coatings on chicken and in various breads served on board ships too.

I can't imagine a wheat allergy. I know people with various nut allergies and it's a challenge for them.

Hi,

I have a bad shell fish allergy. It can become a problem at AYW dining. Some wait staff I found out just doesn't know / understand just which animals are included in "shellfish" category. Ex. the waiter telling me I can't have grilled salmon. Yes, I can eat that. One mistake was he told me to try a soup that had shrimp in it. So we ended up for that reason and another reason having the same waiter every night. And I was given the menu the night before. Another problem is the Asian food at the Lido. Some of the sauces have shell fish in it. When I asked the man serving it (a chicken dish) he said "no shell fish". But I didn't take it. I then spoke to the chef, and I was told that the sauce had shell fish in it.

Geo

Geo -

I know you were on the Volendam; however, I was curious on formal nights especially, how was the ventilation in the dining room with respect to shellfish. DH is allergic to shellfish as well and we normally "accelerate" dining on those nights where there is a lot of shellfish being served; however, with AYWD, it may not even help with the staggered eating - or it may be better than normal.

I know the Volendam's ventilation cannot tell me much about the Noordam's; however, any input is always appreciated. This is his only real concern.

Thanks so much!

Hammy - per my earlier post in the thread, and I can only speak for us, we do *not* go to land-based restaurants except for one that knows us very well. My parents do not go out unless to that same restaurant with us.

That's why cruising is great for Mom & I. Gives us a break from the kitchen and the "monotony" of the food choices and seasonings. It's normal for us now to eat the way we do, but being able to have some items that we just won't keep around due to cross-contamination fears, it's just awesome (like "real" ice cream with egg in it....YUMMY). I also like to "sneak" up to Lido if they have shrimp and just eat a few....then I wash up, etc. etc. to get all of it off me and stay out of the room for a while. But, for the taste, it's pure heaven for me! :D

I am not trying to be snarky here. I am curious how do those with food allergies handle dining out on land?

We stay away from many types of restaurants (especially Asian) entirely, with the exception of a couple in the neighborhood that we know well and have been to frequently.

At other new restaurants, we normally do fine, but we do take a fair bit of time explaining the allergy issues and asking for confirmation about each dish.

And we still sometimes run into problems and end up with a scary 12 hours before we know everything will be alright.

Hammy - per my earlier post in the thread, and I can only speak for us, we do *not* go to land-based restaurants except for one that knows us very well. My parents do not go out unless to that same restaurant with us.

That's why cruising is great for Mom & I. Gives us a break from the kitchen and the "monotony" of the food choices and seasonings. It's normal for us now to eat the way we do, but being able to have some items that we just won't keep around due to cross-contamination fears, it's just awesome (like "real" ice cream with egg in it....YUMMY). I also like to "sneak" up to Lido if they have shrimp and just eat a few....then I wash up, etc. etc. to get all of it off me and stay out of the room for a while. But, for the taste, it's pure heaven for me! :D

I cannot imagine how challenging life must be for your DH and father. Having to be concerned about the room's ventilation to avoid cross contamination takes this to a whole new level. Just the thought of being in a working enviornment or riding on public transportation where the next guy is noshing on a big ole sandwich with onions or fried eggs or Asian food. Oh my stars. How do they do it? The burden this must impose on your lifestyle.......I am speechless and so sorry that anyone has to be this concerned about what they eat.

Hammy - You honestly get used to it. It's just a way of life. I grew up with my Dad's allergies and now have DH's. It's just....normal... I guess.

We don't use public transportation at all actually being where we live we drive everywhere, so that's not even something I thought much about. We work together in a small office, so everyone knows not to bring in *any* shellfish to eat in the office.

It's funny (in a weird sort of way) that we don't really even think about it much except when talking to others about it. It's just customary to read labels, etc. (well, at this point, we just pretty much avoid "new" things and life is good for everyone :D ).

But, I agree, that once a reaction starts, the next 12 hours or so are the scariest of your life. One big reaction happened to DH on RCCL once (we've had some minor ones that resolved within a few hours since then) ....I thought *I* was the one who was going to die. My poor DH was keeping *me* calm when he should have been resting and not getting any more worked up! :eek: Boy, am I a wuss, but I was really scared for him. :o

• 3 months later...

I have nut and shellfish allergies, too, and soy--which is in everything. :( And, like the others, we just don't go out to eat.

I've spoken with both my TA and HAL, and will be filling out paperwork from HAL detailing my allergies.

My question is this: I assume some of you carry epipens. Is is a problem taking those on the airplane?

Thanks,

Sheri

I have a severe allergy to nuts and nut oils. I carry an Epi-Pen. In land restaraunts, I let every waiter know about my allergy. I have sometimes actually spoken with the chef. I've become so used to this, that it's just a part of what I do.

On ships, it's actually easier than on land based vacations. First, contact the HAL compliance officer well before the cruise. They will send you a Special Requirements Information form. Their phone is (800) 547-8493. I always ask for confirmation that they received the form.

Once on board, I make sure that I speak with the Asst. Maitre 'D. I also remind every waiter that I encounter during the week. I would suggest that you eat most of your meals in the dining room. I was on the Westerdam last week and made out okay. I was disappointed that they have cut staff in the dining room and eliminated the Supervisors. They are the people who have been most helpful to me in the past. Now it is the dining stewards who are responsible for the process. This is okay if language skills are good and communication flows well.

I am cautious about the Lido and Room Service. I use both but need to avoid anything that might be a problem. I've lived with this long enough that I can navigate pretty well. Also, I never eat in restaurants in the ports, especially in ports where there are many non-English speaking restaurant workers.

Sheri - I would check with the TSA website as things will/do change. My mother is a diabetic traveling with insulin. Last time she flew, her needles were fine.

For those of you with food allergies, Disney World is a FANTASTIC vacation destination for meals. Mom and I went a little over a year ago (last time she flew ;) ). When I made our 'priority seating' (meal reservations) arrangements, I told them of mom's diabetes. At every restaurant (even buffet) a chef came an talked to us about the menu. At one buffet, an entire special meal was made just for mom, as everything on the buffet contained sugar - even in the coating on the roast meats. I'd read about this on the Disney boards. Those with food allergies (or the parents of children with them) had raved about the care/attention they received from the Disney chefs (i.e. special oatmeal pancakes for the wheat allergies). They were 100% right.

My main allergy problem is a severe reaction to some antibiotics. I've found that I do better if I avoid the HAL provided soaps and now bring my own. A much easier solution than a food allergy.

I am not trying to be snarky here. I am curious how do those with food allergies handle dining out on land?

Also not trying to be snarky.... but traveliing on top of an ocean full of shellfish with a shellfish allergy.... :D

Archived