QM2 Gym & Classes

Ice & A Slice

Can anyone tell me about the quality of the gym on the QM2. What equipment is available, treadmills?, cross trainers?, exercise bicycles?

Do they offer any classes like spinning, aerobics, Is there a charge? How busy is the gym, how did you find the quality of the personal trainers?

I'm just a young thing at heart and like to keep healthy.

The gym is well equipped with lots of treadmills, bikes, elliptical trainers, and all sorts of weight equipment.

The classes are great! The classes are free, as is the use of the gym. There are at least 4-5 classes each day to pick from. On our B2B transatlantic crossing last summer, there were 2 trainers for the different classes, a male and a female. I never had the female as an instructor, but the guy was great! He was very enthusiastic and really pushed the class to exceed their limits. There were a variety of classes to choose from: spinning, pilates, yoga, cardio weights, step aerobics. If you go and the instructor is an Aussie named Brandon, you know you're going to get a HARD workout, but you'll feel great afterwards. He's top-notch.

Have fun!

The people using the treadmills generate the electricity used by the rest of us.

Paul

Now Paul! Matthew wants a real answer to a question here! :) (I think:D). Or is he being facetious?:o

Matthew: Gym is short for gymnasium. Not the usual European definition of gymnasium but the American definition: gymnasium n. Sports. , pl. -siums or -sia . A room or building equipped for indoor sports. Colloquially used, a gym is a place where one goes to work out on equipment in hopes of staying in shape; thus, Malcolm's early morning visits to work off the overload of food available on QE2.;) This is not to be confused with gem as in what your beloved is hoping she will receive in the pretty blue box.:D

Can anyone tell me about the quality of the gym on the QM2. What equipment is available, treadmills?, cross trainers?, exercise bicycles?

Do they offer any classes like spinning, aerobics, Is there a charge? How busy is the gym, how did you find the quality of the personal trainers?

I'm just a young thing at heart and like to keep healthy.

Great idea.

I usually maintain or even lose weight on a cruise. Partly due to the sedentary life at home vs. the active on one on board.

So glad the second poster answered your question for you!

Karie

Could someone explain what a "Gym" is please?

Matthew

Matthew aka Kindly Chap

A gym is where people go to look after their body & health.

As you do not know this I must assume you are not too kindly to yourself and do not look after your own health. Too much lounging around on old cruise ships wrapped in tartan blankets me thinks!

Get along to the gym or you might end up disembarking your next sojourn at sea in a box!

Matthew aka Kindly Chap

A gym is where people go to look after their body & health.

As you do not know this I must assume you are not too kindly to yourself and do not look after your own health. Too much lounging around on old cruise ships wrapped in tartan blankets me thinks!

Get along to the gym or you might end up disembarking your next sojourn at sea in a box!

Gyms are strange and dangerous places. Look what's happened to Nalcoln.:eek:

Sir Martin, never been to a gym, and over 100:)

Gyms are strange and dangerous places. Look what's happened to Nalcoln.:eek:

Sir Martin, never been to a gym, and over 100:)

Must agree with you on this one you old Pecksniffian soul. Me either and I, too, am over 100! No not pounds, but working on it.:D

Your friend,

HRHugeness

Is there also a marked and measured running/walking route around the deck of the QM2? (Just in case the gym isn't quite torture enough!!)

Oh dear! I'd stay away from that one if I were you! I understand there's all sorts of obstacles: tripping wires, flying canapes... dangerous place. Particularly in the early morning hours...

Leisurely walk? A contradiction surely.

Leisurely = sipping a cocktail of the day while the sun sets, watching for the "blue flash" (a stationary activity)

Walk = progressing on foot at slightly less than running speed in the general direction of said cocktail outlet (a mobile activity).

Twice round is too far. Can't comment beyond that.

Matthew

Matthew - a well-wisher's warning.

When you next go on QM2, which could be as soon as next year, take great care not to book a forward Q6 cabin, or you will have to muster in the gym for lifeboat drill, as we did.

As you may imagine, I am still traumatised by the sights I saw.

Jane

Oh dear! I'd stay away from that one if I were you! I understand there's all sorts of obstacles: tripping wires, flying canapes... dangerous place. Particularly in the early morning hours...

Whenever I stepped out onto my balcony in the early morning, I always had my vat of boiling oil with me, just in case a jogger went by. Luckily for them the early mornings became non-existant after about the third day.

;)

HenleyCruiser,

If memory serves me correctly, 3 times around deck 7 is 1 mile. But perhaps those with more experience walking/running (staggering?) around that deck can tell you for sure. :)

You are almost there--three times around is 1 nautical mile, which is 1.13 landical miles. I know this because I read the sign, not because I endeavoured to do more than one lap around. :)

Whenever I stepped out onto my balcony in the early morning, I always had my vat of boiling oil with me, just in case a jogger went by. Luckily for them the early mornings became non-existant after about the third day.

;)

O dear, another thing to remember to pack.:)

Welcome back, Angela.

Jane

;)

Nice one Angela.

A few command detonated claymore mines along the route just to supplement the old boiling oil wouldn't be a bad idea either.

J

Archived