fuel surecharges

momofmeg

How many of you would prefer to pay the $35 then to see their favorite cruiseline go belly up?

after all these negative threads I am just wondering. I do not like it either (no more then I like paying double for cheese as to what it cost back in the fall) but I love crusing (and I love cheese so I buy it anyway) and hope to continue to do so.

I am not objecting to the fuel charge. Cruise lines, like all, companies are in business to make a profit. However, I don't think it is a choice of fuel charge or bankruptcy. In the last year, Carnival Corporation make 2.41 BILLION dollars on revenue of 13 billion. They announced today that they will pay their regular quarterly dividend of 40 cents per share to each of the 787 million shares outstanding.

I don't mind paying the extra. I've been cruising since 2001 and have paid just about the same price for the same type of cabin on each cruise. I know that fuel, food, etc. have gone up considerably since I started cruising. Everything is going up as a result of the fuel costs. I still can't believe milk is almost $5 gallon!!!

Everyone keeps saying how it's illegal for the cruiselines to do this...do you really think they would do it without thorough review from their lawyers? No way, there is too much involved with refunding the hundreds of thousands of people if they were found guilty. I just don't see that happening.

Whether we like it or not, the prices of everything are going up. Time to accept the facts. I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my vacation! :D

Thankyou. I am glad I am not the only one. Heck $35 will not even buy a meal for my family at Cracker Barrel and just barely at Mac Donalds.

Can you believe that one person who says cruiseships are not paying any more in fuel costs? I wonder what planet they came from? surely they are payingmore on their heating bills and gas for their car.

We don't mind paying them

In fact when we got home from our 23 day Ryndam cruise, our TA had sent us a ton papers with all the fuel charges added on for all of our future booked cruises.

We had only one cruise booked and it well within the cancellation time. but our TA told us that her agency was honoring full refunds to any who chose to cancel their cruise. Yhey did though only gave us 7 days to decide and we almost canceled-but then we said-why? we still wanted to cruise and we would pay that extra on any other cruise we booked.

How many of you would prefer to pay the $35 then to see their favorite cruiseline go belly up?
I couldn't care less about any specific cruise line. If they cannot make a go of it, then they should go out of business. That's justice, as far as I'm concerned.

Rather, I prefer to pay the $100 surcharge because it is in accordance with the contract I entered into of my own free will. No one made me book the cruise; I did that voluntarily. So I don't have a problem living up to my side of the bargain, even when things happen that are not to be advantage.

They announced today that they will pay their regular quarterly dividend of 40 cents per share to each of the 787 million shares outstanding.
That's what they're supposed to do. It is one reason why the contracts provide for things like fuel surcharges, I'm sure.

Everyone keeps saying how it's illegal for the cruiselines to do this...do you really think they would do it without thorough review from their lawyers?
By the same token, a lot of people are probably counting on the idea that if they say it loud enough, and with enough acrimony, that they can foster enough political pressure on officials to suddenly make it true, even if it really isn't true.

Most of you are way off base on this thread.Why Passengers are saying what they did is ilegal is, They Charged pax who had already made firm bookings & paid Deposits months ago .When their contracts did not have Sec 21 which was added the 15th of Nov . Which is ilegal in Canada to add after a firm booking. so thats why Canadians are getting their Fuel Surcharges credited because it's against the law. Not so with Americans. So how will you feel if the Canadian in the next cabin is not affected by the fuel surcharge on bookings before the 15th Nov 07.Which is our situation. One US Passenger started a class action but was credited his Fuel surcharge recently on Celebrity Forums.So he stopped it. After the 15th with Sec 21 added They can now charge Pax for any unforseen increase EG Food prices. PS they make you sign the new contract before you can get on the ship.

Most of you are way off base on this thread.Why Passengers are saying what they did is ilegal is, They Charged pax who had already made firm bookings & paid Deposits months ago .When their contracts did not have Sec 21 which was added the 15th of Nov . Which is ilegal in Canada to add after a firm booking. so thats why Canadians are getting their Fuel Surcharges credited because it's against the law. Not so with Americans. So how will you feel if the Canadian in the next cabin is not affected by the fuel surcharge on bookings before the 15th Nov 07.Which is our situation. One US Passenger started a class action but was credited his Fuel surcharge recently on Celebrity Forums.So he stopped it. After the 15th with Sec 21 added They can now charge Pax for any unforseen increase EG Food prices. PS they make you sign the new contract before you can get on the ship.

When their contracts did not have Sec 21 which was added the 15th of Nov . Which is ilegal in Canada to add after a firm booking. so thats why Canadians are getting their Fuel Surcharges credited because it's against the law. Not so with Americans.

The majority of cruise lines have long time contract language that allows them to increase the price of a cruise based upon increased cost and impose a fuel surcharge, at any time.

Having a booking backed by a deposit is not a firm contract. Your cruise could be cancelled or you can walk away on or before final payment date and get your deposit back without a penalty.

Know your cruise contract before you book. If you don't like it, do without the cruise and vacation elsewhere.

Hammy Bee Youre right they did give pax the right to cancel with no penalty After they added Sec 21 to the contract in the middle of Nov. but when you have booked your Flts & paid in full with cancelation penalties. It takes guts to do. But as I said in my previous post As what they did is deemed ilegal in Canada It is a non issue to us .Just you Guys .Bye the way their fuel did increase 7 1/2 % for 2008 Not double.As Rccl stated.

No section was added to my cruise contract; it was there when we booked our trip.

Here's one indication of how much fuel prices have increased over the last year:

clfclose.gif

Pretty close to double, at the time the surcharges were announced.

Everyone keeps saying how it's illegal for the cruiselines to do this...do you really think they would do it without thorough review from their lawyers?

Obviously!! The fare increase masquerading as a "fuel surcharge" was ALREADY deemed illegal and refunded to most Canadians. But some still think the cruise line attorneys did their jobs???

So how will you feel if the Canadian in the next cabin is not affected by the fuel surcharge

Wouldn't bother me a bit. On any cruise or any flight or any hotel stay I just assume that someone else paid less than I did. And probably someone paid more. I just don't care.

according to Canadian law.

Correct. But some folks here are stating that the cruise line attorneys researched the legality of the fuel surcharges (which I'm sure they did). Since they are selling cruises and imposing fees to guests from all over the world, they should check these things....they obviously did not do so carefully enough.

You are not being clear on your post that RCCL and Celebrity changed their contracts after booking. I have 4 cruises booked. I am OK with HAL's surcharge because their contract gave them the right. I am not happy with Celebrity because they changed the contract on me and added a Section 21 with the right to add a fuel surcharge after I paid a deposit and about a week before my final payment was due.

Know your cruise contract before you book. If you don't like it, do without the cruise and vacation elsewhere.

My Celebrity contract was changed about two weeks before final payment. We already had four nonrefundable flights booked. I was never contacted by Celebrity nor told that I could cancel without penalty. I even tried to pay the day it was announced, without the fuel surcharge, was told I could not, only later to find out Celebrity changed the date until a day after the announcement and refunded the fuel surcharge to those that paid in full the day of the announcement (the day that I called). Even though I have e-mail proof that I tried to pay that day Celebrity has not responded to my letter or e-mails etc. I do mind the extra $100.00 with Celebrity. I do not have a problem with HAL as their contract gave them a right to add the fuel surcharge (also, with Celebrity, my final payment day was about two weeks later).

Archived