Need input on next big cruise - please?!

suziehmkr

Hello friends!!

We just completed our 3rd Mexican Riviera cruise. Instead of taking the 4th next year (as booked), DH has agreed to fly for a new itinerary. I want it to be a great cruise that has wonderful ports, etc -not a typical Western Caribbean cruise that I can book anytime. Since he has agreed to fly (which he HATES) - I want to make sure it is worth it for both of us.

It will be late 2009 - I am thinking of either a FT Panama Canal, Southern Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean. 99% sure it will be on Royal Caribbean and since itineraries for late 2009 aren't out yet - I am kind of winging it here.

What is your favorite port or itinerary that you feel is a MUST DO? We love to see new places, take fun excursions, spend time on beaches, beautiful locations, learn about local history & customs, love the history of the Panama Canal, etc. We can be active or lay on a beach - it doesn't matter. No children with us on this one either.

Share your favorites with me so I can make a list and do some research before itineraries are released, pretty please. :)

Mahalo!

My vote is for southern (but I haven't done panama). To me the major bonus to the southern is that you can have a port intensive cruise. For our upcoming cruise we only have 1 sea day. Yippy! I think the southern ports are more exotic than the east/west.

Good luck choosing :)

My vote is for Southern...the port intensive route of St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. If you take this route, you are basically getting the eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten) and the Southern Caribbean in one 7-day cruise. Currently, this would be a cruise on the Serenade in the winter or Adventure of the Seas the remainder of the year. My wife and I took this cruise for our honeymoon (on the Adventure) and it was great. You have something to do almost everyday and it is one of the greatest cruises we have ever taken. You will see some arguments on the boards about the Puerto Ricans on these cruises; we have sailed the Adventure twice and they have been the best 2 cruises we have taken and I have been on over 20 cruises.

As for San Juan's airport, it is very easy to navigate and get in/out of. The airport really is not that big and cab are easily found at the exits. If you are flying in from the west coast, you definitely will want to go in at least a day early. San Juan and the surrounding areas certainly have enough attractions and beaches to support coming in a couple days early to explore.

Wah! :( Tina's abandoning us!:p

Wah - I am sad too.... :o But at least we are still going on the 10/10. After sailing with two teens in our cabin, I am determined to take this one. LOL

I would knock out Eastern right away because not only is it NOT port intensive but its two major ports (Martin/Thomas) can be done in on the southern as well.

Very good point! Thanks!

My vote is for Southern...the port intensive route of St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. If you take this route, you are basically getting the eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten) and the Southern Caribbean in one 7-day cruise. Currently, this would be a cruise on the Serenade in the winter or Adventure of the Seas the remainder of the year. My wife and I took this cruise for our honeymoon (on the Adventure) and it was great. You have something to do almost everyday and it is one of the greatest cruises we have ever taken. You will see some arguments on the boards about the Puerto Ricans on these cruises; we have sailed the Adventure twice and they have been the best 2 cruises we have taken and I have been on over 20 cruises.

As for San Juan's airport, it is very easy to navigate and get in/out of. The airport really is not that big and cab are easily found at the exits. If you are flying in from the west coast, you definitely will want to go in at least a day early. San Juan and the surrounding areas certainly have enough attractions and beaches to support coming in a couple days early to explore.

Thank you for this excellent information. This helps alot! We almost sailed on Serenade for Alaska and we were bummed to cancel that one. Had the coveted 9256 booked, even. I might have another chance! Great information! Thanks!

Another question.... balcony a good idea for the Southern route?

I am going to suggest a couple of different options that require you to cruise (spend a few days at sea). The Circle Hawaii cruises leave out of San Diego in the early Fall if I am correct. There is no place like the Hawaiian Islands if you have not seen them before. If you want to look further west, there might be a cruise fom Honolulu to Sydney that stops in places like Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand and some other South Pacific islands. This leaves later in the Fall. Another option in the opposite direction would be a Med cruise. Lots of ports and culture. Not many beaches. Alot of flying for Hubby. Finally, you have transatlantic cruises. There are both Northern and Southern crossings. The Northern is usually on the Jewel and sells out quickly. The Southern would go to some of the islands you might be interested in. Usually Southern leaves from Barcellona. Hope I helped. Good Sailing, Murf.

I would suggest a full transit of the Panama Canal, either eastbound or westbound. That way you will get to see the Panama Canal (which you said you were interested in) and you will probably stop in Central and South America as well as a port stop or two in the Southern Caribbean, i.e. Aruba and Curacao. You may even get to see some of the Eastern Caribbean. If you have the time (probably 2 weeks), I would strongly suggest you consider this one. Depending on where you live in California, you will only have to fly one way possibly.

Have a great trip no matter what you decide.

I am going to suggest a couple of different options that require you to cruise (spend a few days at sea). The Circle Hawaii cruises leave out of San Diego in the early Fall if I am correct. There is no place like the Hawaiian Islands if you have not seen them before. If you want to look further west, there might be a cruise fom Honolulu to Sydney that stops in places like Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand and some other South Pacific islands. This leaves later in the Fall. Another option in the opposite direction would be a Med cruise. Lots of ports and culture. Not many beaches. Alot of flying for Hubby. Finally, you have transatlantic cruises. There are both Northern and Southern crossings. The Northern is usually on the Jewel and sells out quickly. The Southern would go to some of the islands you might be interested in. Usually Southern leaves from Barcellona. Hope I helped. Good Sailing, Murf.

Thank you so much for your suggestions... we have done the RT Hawaii and will be spending a week in Kona in December. Hawaii is in my heart, as I am now a Polynesian Dancer. Tahiti is my dream and will get there once the kids are all grown and we can truly enjoy it to it's fullest. DH prefers not to have alot of sea days in a row - so that leaves out ones like the TA's... The Med is also on our list later on down the road when we can travel for exended periods. He would probably die from anxiety if I booked a flight for a Med cruise! LOL But I do love all of the suggestions. Cruising has expanded so much - the options are amazing! :)

I would suggest a full transit of the Panama Canal, either eastbound or westbound.

Have a great trip no matter what you decide.

Thanks! The Panama Canal has been on my wishlist for years.... this is going to be such a tough decision! But what a problem to have, huh? :D

I don't know where in California you are...but we are doing the full canal transit in April, San Juan to San Francisco. Since we are from the Bay Area, no flying at the end. Ports are Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Acapulco, Huetalco and Cabo. :)

I don't know where in California you are...but we are doing the full canal transit in April, San Juan to San Francisco. Since we are from the Bay Area, no flying at the end. Ports are Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Acapulco, Huetalco and Cabo. :)

We are about 100 miles south of SF.... so I have looked at the eastbound in late October.... still an option. :) But I do like the idea of having the flight at the beginning... I always dread the trip home after a cruise because for us it is usually a 6-7 hour drive. :rolleyes: :)

Archived