Luggage tags -- at dock?

amagar

Hi,

With both Celebrity and Princess, we've always had luggage tags in advance...so that when cab drops us at the dock, our bags go one way and we go another.

Now we're told we won't receive advance luggage tags -- we're supposed to fill in blank luggage tags at the dock indicating cabin number.

Is this correct? It sounds like this will clog the boarding system. I'm worried. Should I be?

Thanks

Don't be worried, I've been in this situation and the bags ended up in the right place. Just make sure you know your cabin number so you can write it on the tag when you get to the port.

We did it as a result of a cabin change after our paper documents and tags were issued.

It's OK, but I make one recommendation and offer one suggetion.

1) Take a good ball point pen, the guy at the dock did npt have a pen, and a roller ball one will not work on this type of gloss.

1a) Write the tag out yoruself so it's highly legible.

Once I gave the guy the pen, the cabin number he wrote was not too legible and I should have done somethng about it but did not.

Here's why this is important:

It was our experience this method in and of itself delays the bags since they are not standard and boldly preprinted labels easily visible for these guys to move though the system at their usual rapid speed.

I'd expect it to take longer than other times, add to that illegible numbers and wow, it can feel like the bag might be lost.

So, bring a pen that write the tags out yourself when you arrive at the pier.

It might take a bit longer for the bags to get delievered, but the guys can read the tags. That takes out alot of worry of it. Always keep them locked once you get to the pier.

Hi Amagar,

The baggage handlers will have large carts just a short way from where the taxi will drop you. While you are still at the curb they will provide you with tags, and you just fill in your name and stateroom no, and you are on your way. It should normally take you just a few minutes.

Petert

We've always had tags in advance with the document booklet. If you get E-docs, you won't get the tags in advance. I prefer the booklet. We are leaving in less than two days for the 1/20 Mercury Sydney-Aukland. Can't wait. The Thurs. weather in Chicago looks more promising than earlier today. :D

Thanks for your responses and tips (I always use roller ball..and will now back a ball point).

I get that eticketing saves money....but the luggage tags...I don't understand. I agree the color-coding and clear print on regular tags must save time and lost luggage.

I'm surprised that Celebrity wouldn't offer at least print-out luggage tags with the edocs, or mail out just the tags- how much could that cost?

We always ask for printed docs, though. I love getting that little book in the mail!

I agree with Susie V. How much could it cost to send hard copies of the luggage tags at least. I've said before, I think it is not so convenient for those of us arriving pre-cruise and have our luggage taken away before we actually depart the hotel.

We are leaving on 2/6 for a 2/9 sailing on Summit and when I finally get my docs I will go to Kinko's and color copy the facsimile they send.

I'm surprised that Celebrity wouldn't offer at least print-out luggage tags with the edocs, or mail out just the tags- how much could that cost?

We always ask for printed docs, though. I love getting that little book in the mail!

I got my documents email and the luggage tag was in there. I printed it out several times, filled it in cut them and put them in clear contact paper, and put them on my luggage with my personal tags. I'm ready..... 4 more days and counting!

I used the e-docs as well but low and behold Celebrity mailed my TA luggage tags for our cruise in two weeks. I was shocked when my TA called to see if she could come by and deliver something to me: what could there be to deliver as I did all the documentation online and printed it off? She had a small envelope from Celebrity with our printed luggage tags in there. I know they are available for any cruise at the dock but I must say I prefer to have them all pre-printed out and legible.

Hmmmmm....I would love to get luggage tags in the mail for my last minute booking. We booked over a week ago and leave 2/4. What are the chances that we will get docs in the mail? We did receive the e-docs, but I am out of printer ink right now, so have not printed the docs or tags yet. Also, they are so small.

ME TOO! I was loving it yesterday! Luggage tags and all! :D

Great to hear people are getting there tag's with edoc's. I would think it helps with congestion at the dock. I know its crazy as it is, and having to find tags, a pen and write them all and then attach is something i dont like doing..

I received my e-docs a couple of weeks ago. Then a large envelope from my TA. Wow! An actual copy of the docs! No, it was just a printout of my e-docs with a note saying to fill out the luggage tags at the dock. We leave in a week so not to much hope of receiving the tags in the mail. Oh well, I guess I could copy, laminate and make my own tags ... or wait until I get to San Juan.:eek:

Archived