Tuxedos?

Waltzing Reg

My wife wants me take a tux on Oosterdam later this week, and, of course, I'm resisting. Can we expect to find a number of men in tuxedos on the two formal nights? Thanks!
On cruises we've been on in the last 30 months there have been about 30% to 40% tuxedos.

If not a tux on formal nights, what else would my DH feel comfortable (not standing out as improperly dressed) wearing? On our past HAL cruises, he's always taken a tux, but don't know if he feels like it this time. Any suggestions?

I always take a tux for formal nights (my 11 year old son too). However, it seems that I am sadly in the minority. All I would ask is that those not wishing to wear a tux would at least wear a dark suit (the guidelines state that either is OK). As far as I'm concerned, if a dress code is expected it should be followed. Those who do not wish to comply should select a different cruiseline!

Can we expect to find a number of men in tuxedos on the two formal nights? Thanks!

It will definitely be less than 50%.

Just be comfortable Reg; remember those are "suggested" dress codes at best, and you are on your vacation. A jacket and slacks will be just fine if that's what you are comfortable in.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=dressCode

Life's too short to worry what strangers think you should be wearing... :) (or to answer any flames received about dress codes) :D

My husband wore a tux on our 11/23 Volendam cruise. We like dressing up. But not even half of the men wore tuxedos on the formal nights, more like 25 percent or fewer.

One boorish man we had the misfortune to dine with on the second formal night (open seating) actually made a couple of snide comments about my husband 'dressing up' too much. The guy was in a sports jacket with shirt and tie, and we didn't care how HE was attired and made no comments to HIM. But it made my husband feel dumb, and he HATES that. Then one of our Roll Call couples went whizzing by to their table, and Phil was in a tux. Then we ran into two of the other couples in the Explorer's Lounge and both of those men (Thanks, Peter and Jim!) were in tuxedos. So my husband felt better about his tux, and we will be taking it with us next time!

Robin

My wife wants me take a tux on Oosterdam later this week, and, of course, I'm resisting. Can we expect to find a number of men in tuxedos on the two formal nights? Thanks!

I don't think men realize how attractive they are to women when they wear a tux. If they did, I think you would see 100% of the gentlemen in tuxes on formal night!!!

On our Volendam cruise last November I decided to retire my 10 year old uncomfortable tux (it seems to shrink every time I have it dry cleaned after a cruise) and purchased a new black tropical weight Italian wool suit from a major men’s store for about $200. I had been looking at new tuxes at the store and the salesman gave me a great idea. He said that the styling for today’s tuxes is very similar to the 3 button suits they sell and that with a black 3 button suit I could wear my tux shirt, bow tie and vest and I would have the look of a tux and that most people could not tell the difference. I would also have the versatility of a very fashionable black suit to wear to weddings, funerals and other formal situations. On the Volendam for our last formal night I wore my new suit with the tux shirt and vest and everybody at our table thought I had brought a separate tux in addition to the black suit I wore the first 2 formal nights.:D This will be my formal night attire for the next several years of cruising.:cool:

I don't think men realize how attractive they are to women when they wear a tux. If they did, I think you would see 100% of the gentlemen in tuxes on formal night!!!

I want to second the motion! You will look awesome and it will please your wife. The senior officers will all be in formal wear. Go for it!

:D WOW -- just read the comments from the ladies! They love a man in a tux!

It is soooo easy to make your wife happy and impress the other ladies aboard. I do it every trip and feel great!

And you can get such great formal pictures! We have a drawer full of them by now!

the ladies' comments is just the reason I always wear a tux ... my wife treats me as her Ken Doll .. even though this one is not as slender nor handsome .. yet, she has fun dressing me up while doing same herself . .. and frankly I really don't care what others think, especially anyone boorish enough to comment that one is 'too dressed up' by following the suggested dress code.

harry

I wear a tux or dark suit on formal nights and feel properly dressed with either. We have never been on HAL and cruise line will determine number of men wearing tux. From what I have read HAL cruises usually have lots of tuxes so will probably wear a tux on Noordam in March on two formals and dark suit on middle formal night.:) Hope I never dine with Robin7's Boorish dinner mate as I would definitely have to speak my mind about some unsolicited ignorant comment.:D

More than half the gents had tuxes on when we were on the Oosterdam in April.

I disagree with the poster who says that slacks and sport coat are appropriate on formal nights. My DH wears that outfit to the PG and often to the dining room but its always a tux or well cut dark suit for formal nights. And he looks positively dashing:D

The numbers of gentlemen in Tuxedo vs. those in very nice suits will vary from cruise to cruise. I've been on sailings where the men in Tuxedos have outnumbered those who were not. I've also been on cruises where we numbered fewer than 30%. In those cases where Tuxedos were in the minority, most of the men were in nevertheless in suits with some being in grey slacks, black jacket, dress shirt and tie. Rare is the cruise where men don't at least dress according to the code.

So ... it's really hard to answer your question other than with a range of responses. You will find a number (and, possibly, a large number) of men in Tuxedos. You will also find a number (and, indeed, possibly a large number) of men in suits or slacks and sports jackets. So, however you dress, as long as you're in accord with the stipulations of the suggested Dress Code you should not feel "out of place."

All of that being said, I would lean toward doing what your wife asks you to do. That is, usually, the best prescription for harmony in the marriage bed. :D So ... if you want to make her happy, I'd do what she asks. As I often say in my wedding sermons: "The most important phrase for any man to learn early in their marriage is: "Yes Dear.""

The ladies have convinced me . . . . . . but given my wife's position on the matter, I don't think there was ever much of an option. . . . . . But, thanks to all who responded.

'Zat you in the picture? Wear the tux (or even a dinner jacket). You'll look gorgeous! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived