Tuxedos?

Waltzing Reg

If you are on active duty, in the reserves, or a veteran, wear your miniature medals with your formal evening wear (aka "tux"). You'll look great, and it may even be hard to buy a drink!

But remember that if you wear your minis you may NOT wear a boutonniere.

Cheers

Mark

While I very much respect those who will wear a tuxedo, may I say that it's not easy for everyone to do the same. I'm looking forward to being on the Maasdam in May, but we'll be arriving in Montreal, each with a backpack, having travelled from Australia, via Hawaii, the train from Vancouver to Toronto and then driving to Niagara and Montreal.

There's no room or practicality for a tuxedo in a backpack on a 3 week trip for 2 nights wear, but I'll try to comply as much as is possible with the dress code and I'll certainly respect the formality of the occasion.

I've requested a dinner table with several others, as meeting new people is one of the joys of travel. I know I'll have a great cruise.

While I very much respect those who will wear a tuxedo, may I say that it's not easy for everyone to do the same. I'm looking forward to being on the Maasdam in May, but we'll be arriving in Montreal, each with a backpack, having travelled from Australia, via Hawaii, the train from Vancouver to Toronto and then driving to Niagara and Montreal.

There's no room or practicality for a tuxedo in a backpack on a 3 week trip for 2 nights wear, but I'll try to comply as much as is possible with the dress code and I'll certainly respect the formality of the occasion.

I've requested a dinner table with several others, as meeting new people is one of the joys of travel. I know I'll have a great cruise.

Wow! This sounds like a fabulous trip - and quite a trek! FYI, if you really want to join the tux crowd, HAL DOES have them available for rental during your cruise, if you arrange it in advance. That way you could wear one on board without having to lug it with you all that way. A dark suit is an alternative, but you probably don't want to lug one of those in your backpack either.:D (They have women's wear for formal nights too, but it's pretty dreadful.)

And, FYI, if you decide against the rent-a-tux option, you do have the alternative of eating in the Lido or your cabin on formal nights. The food will be the same (or almost the same, in the case of the Lido), and you will be fine in "smart casual" in the Lido - and if you eat in your cabin, you can even dine in your jammies! Technically, the formal night dress code applies in all public spaces (at least indoor ones), but you can probably get by in smart casual outside the dining room if you are respectful and inconspicuous. Or you can just rest in your cabin and watch a movie that night.

Enjoy the trip - it sounds fabulous. As a Yank, I am very envious of the amount of vacation time that people seem to get in most of the other developed countries. Someday I hope to spend at least as much time in your beautiful and fascinating country as you are planning to spend in the US and Canada!

Hi South Aussie...I am also a South Aussie and know exactly what you are saying!!! If you are going to travel that far, you have to spend as much time as you can there. In 2001 we did an Alaskan Cruise ...it was part of a 3month trip through Canada and US ...(with 2 teenagers) My husband wore a light weight jacket and pair of trousers with a tie and he looked great...very few were in tuxes on that trip. We are doing 2 Med back to back cruises in September this year...that is at the end of a month travelling through Spain and Morocco...we will also be travelling light...but my husband now has a lightweight suit he wore to our sons wedding last summer so will take that. It is not black, but I know it will be fine. Are you actually from SA?? I have mix and match clothes...things you can dress up or down. Canada i sbeautiful..you will love it.

Thanks for that advice about renting a tux on board, it might be a good solution. Thanks also for your kind words about Australia. I've seen a fair bit of your country, especially many 'out-of-the-way" places, enjoy it greatly and recommend it to all my friends here.

Yes Kura, I understand what you say and totally agree. Also yes, I live in Adelaide. Amazingly, my last cruise was also on an Alaskan cruise in 2001 (Sun Princess).

Your husband's choice of lightweight jacket and tie was my most likely option, although I'm pleased that a tux can be rented on board if I wish.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Canada, but I can assure you that you'll also enjoy Spain and Morocco.

Also yes, I live in Adelaide. Amazingly, my last cruise was also on an Alaskan cruise in 2001 (Sun Princess).

...I can assure you that you'll also enjoy Spain and Morocco.

We are actually not in Adelaide, but Victor Harbor...our Alaskan cruise was with HAL...have you been to Morocco?? Did you do a tour there? If so which company? We have decided to do a tour there.

My email is begstonkin@bigpond.com

South Aussie - just to clarify...you can't wait and rent a tux when you get aboard...you have to pre-order (there will be info with your tickets). The tux will be in your cabin when you get there.

About men who look dashing in formal dress.....Just cruised with my 80something parents. I twisted Dad's arm to rent a tux. On formal night, Mom (who has Alzheimer's type symptoms) boasted to one and all: "That's my husband. Isn't he pretty?!"

669560877_cruise2007resizedformalnight.jpg.09ff91bf04b076667a3c1a9631f4f9e9.jpg

About men who look dashing in formal dress.....Just cruised with my 80something parents. I twisted Dad's arm to rent a tux. On formal night, Mom (who has Alzheimer's type symptoms) boasted to one and all: "That's my husband. Isn't he pretty?!"

What a handsome couple and great picture!

>>>"Happy Wife - Happy Life"<<<

I love it!! Think I'll needlepoint it on a pillow and give the DH a whup with it - he's needing a refresher after 42 years.

Nonetheless, he - and every other man on board - always looks great in his tux, and in a life that is otherwise pretty casual, the chance to dress up is a nice reminder to each of us that 'scruffy' can wear pretty thin!:D

South Aussie: We did your train trip, westbound two years ago -- It was wonderful! Have a great journey.

Happy flashback to recent cruise: on our roll call, we tried to convince a Scottish fellow passenger - with limited luggage space - to leave his golf clubs behind, and pack his full kilt kit for formal night.

Golfers will not be surprised to know we failed :o

Hello Sandy and Jean, if you're reading this! :)

So - yes - kilt is definitely gentlemen's formal wear!

Thank you. Our son will be in a tux on our February cruise but my husband, of Scottish heritage, is desperate for the formal kilt attire. He will not be with us this month but it's nice to know that a kilt is acceptable on his next cruise!!

Cherie

Archived