Where does the EuroStar Train stop in Paris?

I give up on their website! It doesn't show where exactly their train stops in Paris. I'd like to choose a hotel that is close to the EuroStar Station, but according to their map, I only see a dot in the general vicinity of Paris!

Anyone know where this station is and what the easiest way to get to it is?

Does the Metro go nearby or is it not practical to take the Metro with suitcases?

I believe when we were there in February, the train stopped in the Gare du Nord station (north). The subways were located in the same station, so they were easily accessable. I'm not sure I would try with luggage - each time we were on the subway, they were packed - but that could have been the time of day. I guess if you only had a small bag or carryon, it wouldn't be so bad. Sorry, but I don't know exactly where the station is, so I'm not sure about hotels.

Hope this helps.

Ann Marie

You are correct in that the Eurostar stops at Gare du Nord. I agree that trying to wrestle with suitcases on the Metro is almost impossible. Many stations don't have escalators, so you are left to manhandle your suitcases up and down many flights of stairs. Additionally, Gare du Nord isn't in the greatest part of town, if you get my drift.

As you come out of the station, there is a long line waiting for taxis, but it moves quickly. Just que up and be whisked away to your hotel! It is really quite easy and simple to do.

MissM

I'd like to choose a hotel that is close to the EuroStar Station, but according to their map, I only see a dot in the general vicinity of Paris!
Yup, the Eurostar website is pretty antediluvian.

Try this link for a Mapquest map (it redirects through *****), which I hope will work for you. That should give you an interactive map, which will help to locate it within the city for you.

If not, go to http://www.mapquest.com and click on the Maps icon. Select France and wait for the page to reload. Then search for "Place Napoléon" in "Paris". The last of about 10 options should be "[14-18] PLACE NAPOLÉON III", which is the map that that link tries to call. AFAIK, Place Napoléon III is technically the street address for the station.

Alternatively, have a look at this map (not interactive) which has street names, from which you may be able to locate the station from another map of Paris (online or on paper, interactive or not).

I guess I should've said I knew the EuroStar stopped at the Gard du Nord, but I couldn't figure out where that was in the City of Paris. Every map I had pulled up, didn't show it and I didn't have an address or an idea of what part of town it was in. (We'll make sure not to linger in that part of town, thanks.)

We'll be travelling from our hotel to the station to go to London. Guess we'll have to take a couple taxis since there are 4 of us with luggage. I was just trying to figure out what I might pay for cab fare when working out my budget. Are taxis more expensive in Paris or are they usual pricey amount?

Thanks so much everyone! I really do appreciate the help, especially the maps links and luggage accessibility info!

...We'll be travelling from our hotel to the station to go to London. Guess we'll have to take a couple taxis since there are 4 of us with luggage. I was just trying to figure out what I might pay for cab fare when working out my budget. Are taxis more expensive in Paris or are they usual pricey amount?...
Taxis ARE better than the Metro when going from the Gare du Nord station to a hotel. At times taxis may be your only option -- besides walking -- because Paris and France have an uncomfortable habit of calling General Strikes. If you end up there during one of those (we did) anything state-run (which includes city-run) is closed. No buses. No Metro. No Louvre. No museums. No Versailles. etc.

Before we left Waterloo station in London we were advised every fifteen minutes via loudspeaker (insert the word "garbled":D ) that France was experiencing a "One Day General Strike". Refunds would be given if you chose to cancel. We opted to travel anyway because, a) it was the Eurostar and b) we were booked (non refundable) for three days in a Day's Inn near our nephew's place in the Montreuil section of Paris.

Little did we know that a Parisian day is 75 hours long.:eek: We never did see the Eiffel Tower because you couldn't get to it.

The taxi line up moves so quickly, at the Gare du Nord, that we didn't have time to count the cars. The five mile trip to the hotel, on the other hand, took almost 75 minutes. Be aware -- you pay for the time in the taxi as well as the mileage. However, with a general strike taking place there was no alternative. Luckily we had Euros in cash. That taxi driver did not accept credit card or Travellers cheques. That trip from Gare du Nord to the hotel was 60 Euros. :eek:

Getting back to Gare du Nord from the hotel three days later. The trip took 14 minutes and cost 12 Euros.:)

Four more bits of experience:

1. To return to London on the Eurostar, we were leaving at 6:00 am from the Hotel. Taxis do not typically cruise Montreuil at that hour of the morning so our niece tried to telephone for a taxi. She started calling at 5:00 am. She tried six different companies before one would agree to a pickup in Montreuil.
  2. When you order a taxi, by telephone, in Paris, the meter starts from wherever the driver is when he gets the call. When our driver arrived the meter already indicated a charge of 7.20 Euros.
  3. Taxis in Paris don't like to pick up more than three pax. If they do accept a fourth passenger, there is a surcharge.
  4. Rates increase at night.

Despite the strike and not seeing the "touristy" Paris, we had a great time. Watch out for the Boulangeries and Patisseries though -- they're addicting.:D

Terry

We have always taken a taxi when we have arrived by train into Paris. It is so easy as there are taxis waiting at all the major stations. It is exactly the same as when you arrive at any airport. We never think twice about using them, as we do not believe in trying to move luggage from A to B. We always consider the taxi fares as part of the holiday expenses.

Jennie

I already have plans to visit quite a few patisseries, boulangeries and frommageries!!! Can't wait for that part of the trip. I'll never fit in the airplane seat if I don't walk that food off though!

Thanks so much for the valuable info, Terry, on taxis and how they work. Sounds like we'll definitely need 2 taxis then. I'll plan on that and budget accordingly. Hopefully, we'll be travelling through Paris when traffic isn't too heavy (and slow) and hopefully, we won't be there during one of their *wonderful* strikes.

Thanks again!!

My experience with Gare du Nord and the Metro is totally different from the comments above. My sister and I were in Paris and London last year. We took the Eurostar to/from London and totally used the metro to get to Gare du Nord and back to our hotel. The Gare du Nord station does have escalators. Major metro/RER stations do have escalators as we had to transfer from one line to another. The minor ones do not. It was not a bad experience for us as my sister and I travel light.

Here is where Gare du Nord is - 18 rue de Dunkerque, 15 arrondisements (serving the north, with trains from Holland, Denmark, Belgium, and Germany) (Gare Montparnasse/Institute Pasteur area)

From Frommer's website, a little more info about taxis...

The flag drops at 2.15€, and you pay .60€ per kilometer. At night, expect to pay 1.15€ per kilometer. On airport trips, you're not required to pay for the driver's empty return ride. Be warned that many taxis can refuse to take a fourth passenger except for a child. It is their legal right. Although drivers can refuse a fourth passenger, some taxis are large enough to take up to five. You're allowed several small pieces of luggage free if they're transported inside and don't weigh more than 5 kilograms (11 lb.). Heavier suitcases carried in the trunk cost 1.50€ to 2€ apiece. Tip 12% to 15% -- the latter usually elicits a merci. To radio cabs, call tel. 01-42-03-50-50 or 01-44-52-23-58; you'll be charged from the point where the taxi begins the drive to pick you up.

I would've never known there was a fee for suitcases unless you posted this. The taxis sound a bit pricey, but I'm from So. Cal. and we just aren't used to them at all. I don't think I would even dream of attempting 4 people in 1 taxi, plus luggage. We'll definitely have 2, I just hope they charge the same amt. from Gare du Nord to our hotel. We've had a couple instances where we've been charged totally different amts.

Lady Jag,

They do have more of a mini van which will take four people plus luggage. We travelled with friends to Paris and at the airport we would able to get one of these taxis to take us all to our hotel.

Another time we did have to take two taxis and one followed the other. Yes, there is always a charge for luggage. Even here at home, if you have suitcases, the taxi drivers do add an extra charge.

Jennie.

Archived