Considering Sea Dream, a few questions

caviargal

Nobody, but nobody, does the Caribbean as well as SeaDream, unless you own your own yacht.

I agree 100 precent LBLB and Jim. We did the Caribbean on Seabourn and there was just no comparison as the SD ships really lend themselves to the Caribbean ... especially with the wonderful outdoor spaces.

Will let you know how we make out Cammiem!

Just found out that there are at least 2 kids on this sailing so we may look for another date. We really don't like being around kids on vacation and I am concerned that on a smaller ship it would be an issue. I have visions of cannonballing 8 year olds in my head:(.

We share your concern and, take it from me, the cannonball issue has been there. Kids change the SeaDream experience immensely. We were on board when 30 kids were on board. Almost quit SD forever. Have been lucky the last two times.

Nobody, but nobody, does the Caribbean as well as SeaDream, unless you own your own yacht.

I am so excited to experience the Caribbean in SeaDream style!!!

So, while we're on the subject, I'm know I would (and perhaps caviargal would, too) benefit from some SD Caribbean insight.

Personally, I've never sailed the Caribbean. In fact, our April voyage will be our second-ever cruise.

For all you experienced SD Caribbean-ers: what is your favorite thing to do ON the yacht while in the Caribbean? It could be as simple as sipping Tanqueray & diet-tonics with extra fresh lime poolside (that's top on my list to try). It could be dining under the stars. It could be something special you ask the crew to do or set-up for you. Is there something you do everytime you're aboard that epitomizes the SD Caribbean experience for you?

Give us your tips & favorites. Thanks!:)

[i don't mean to hijack the thread; should I start a new one?]

So, while we're on the subject, I'm know I would (and perhaps caviargal would, too) benefit from some SD Caribbean insight.

Personally, I've never sailed the Caribbean. In fact, our April voyage will be our second-ever cruise.

For all you experienced SD Caribbean-ers: what is your favorite thing to do ON the yacht while in the Caribbean? ...Is there something you do everytime you're aboard that epitomizes the SD Caribbean experience for you?

Great questions! I have cruised the Caribbean a lot and really am just over the big ship mass market experience and all that brings with it. I have enjoyed my small ship cruises on Star Clipper and Radisson but SD looks to be unique.

Great questions! I have cruised the Caribbean a lot and really am just over the big ship mass market experience and all that brings with it. I have enjoyed my small ship cruises on Star Clipper and Radisson but SD looks to be unique.

1. Using the marina platform. I always feel the water is cleaner and more fun off the back of the boat

2. Watching a concert dvd on the huge movie screen under the stars outside on the back of the boat. The sound system is awesome.

We share your concern and, take it from me, the cannonball issue has been there. Kids change the SeaDream experience immensely. We were on board when 30 kids were on board. Almost quit SD forever. Have been lucky the last two times.

Jim, I remember that one well!

Two teens so far from what I see on the Roll call boards. Really concerned about this now as the overall ambiance will be different :( and we were looking forward to adults only. Why do they advertise "Only 55 Couples" and then allow kids? Seems a bit misleading.

Two teens so far from what I see on the Roll call boards. Really concerned about this now as the overall ambiance will be different :( and we were looking forward to adults only. Why do they advertise "Only 55 Couples" and then allow kids? Seems a bit misleading.

You ask the million dollar question caviargirl. If Disney can "ban" children under 10 from a restaurant I don't know why SD can't have a minimum age (I know my lawyer friends will have a field day with this one:eek:)

For all you experienced SD Caribbean-ers: what is your favorite thing to do ON the yacht while in the Caribbean? It could be as simple as sipping Tanqueray & diet-tonics with extra fresh lime poolside (that's top on my list to try). It could be dining under the stars. It could be something special you ask the crew to do or set-up for you. Is there something you do everytime you're aboard that epitomizes the SD Caribbean experience for you?

[i don't mean to hijack the thread; should I start a new one?]

I chuckled about the G and Diet T's Cammiem ... they are so refreshing ... especially while lounging on a Bali Bed, reading a book and soaking up the Caribbean sun.

One of our traditions is to change into our bathing suits after boarding the yacht then heading up to the Bali Beds with a stop at the TOY Bar. Unpacking waits until before dinner for us:p

We love to star gaze after dinner ... we head up to Bali Beds ... the front one is especially great if it isn't reserved for the night. Nothing like an after dinner stroll around the deck, a night cap and watching the Caribbean night sky ... the stars are so beautiful because there is no ambient light.

You ask the million dollar question caviargirl. If Disney can "ban" children under 10 from a restaurant I don't know why SD can't have a minimum age (I know my lawyer friends will have a field day with this one:eek:)

If they are going to advertise it, they should deliver it, JMO.

I think we may stick with our original plan to spend a week at our favorite ADULT ONLY AI. One deal breaker for me is kids when I am on vacation, too many bad experiences.

I think we may stick with our original plan to spend a week at our favorite ADULT ONLY AI. One deal breaker for me is kids when I am on vacation, too many bad experiences.

I wish they'd deliver it, too.

If there are only two teens onboard (let's hope it stays that way), that won't be a problem for us. Even though SD yachts are smaller than normal cruise ships, there are enough places onboard to escape kids. If they bother me while I'm poolside sipping my G & diet-T, I'll just use my iPod and/or ignore them

There was a teenager on our SD1 Med. voyage (she looked like a teenager; I did not ask her name). She was very mature and pleasant. I initially cringed when I saw her, thinking our experience would be marred by her presence. On the contrary, we were quite impressed with her.

As it stands now, we are keeping our reservation. I'll only consider changing if the number of kids increases to ten or so.

I chuckled about the G and Diet T's Cammiem ... they are so refreshing ... especially while lounging on a Bali Bed, reading a book and soaking up the Caribbean sun.

One of our traditions is to change into our bathing suits after boarding the yacht then heading up to the Bali Beds with a stop at the TOY Bar. Unpacking waits until before dinner for us:p

We love to star gaze after dinner ... we head up to Bali Beds ... the front one is especially great if it isn't reserved for the night. Nothing like an after dinner stroll around the deck, a night cap and watching the Caribbean night sky ... the stars are so beautiful because there is no ambient light.

What impressed me is that they actually have the brand of diet tonic I like (I'm very picky with ingredients). I was so excited, as many places do not carry it. Alas, I'm stuck drinking my G & diet-Ts at home.

They are indeed refreshing. However, drinking them in the winter (we live in Ohio) really confuses me as I associate them with warm weather.

I can tell you now, DJ, we are definitely adopting your tradition of changing into swimwear after boarding and heading straight to the Bali sunbeds. Fabulous idea!

What impressed me is that they actually have the brand of diet tonic I like (I'm very picky with ingredients). I was so excited, as many places do not carry it. Alas, I'm stuck drinking my G & diet-Ts at home.

They are indeed refreshing. However, drinking them in the winter (we live in Ohio) really confuses me as I associate them with warm weather.

I can tell you now, DJ, we are definitely adopting your tradition of changing into swimwear after boarding and heading straight to the Bali sunbeds. Fabulous idea!

I drink G and diet-T's year round ... although it has been so cold (with snow:eek:) here this winter. When we lived in PA I never drank them in the winter:p

Another thing we do after settling into a Bali Bed is order some shrimp to snack on while unwinding and getting into the island vibe.

Only 8 weeks!!

I drink G and diet-T's year round ... although it has been so cold (with snow:eek:) here this winter. When we lived in PA I never drank them in the winter:p

Another thing we do after settling into a Bali Bed is order some shrimp to snack on while unwinding and getting into the island vibe.

Only 8 weeks!!

So, do you skip the appetizers in the Main Salon after embarkation as you head for the sunbeds? I love the shrimp idea. Maybe I can stash some of the shrimp-in-a-shot-glass that's served in the Main Salon in my bag as we make our way to Deck 6! :)

Here's to hoping your 8 weeks go fast!

So, do you skip the appetizers in the Main Salon after embarkation as you head for the sunbeds? I love the shrimp idea. Maybe I can stash some of the shrimp-in-a-shot-glass that's served in the Main Salon in my bag as we make our way to Deck 6! :)

Here's to hoping your 8 weeks go fast!

We usually grab a glass of champagne and a nibble or two to take to our suite to enjoy while changing.

From boarding to sunbed for us is usually about 45 minutes.

I'm sure they will bring some of those shrimp-in-a-shot-glass for you ... or you can always line your purse with plastic wrap:eek:

I'm usually the grinch and anti-children -- but unless the two are incredibly misbehaved, I don't think you will notice them. Thirty yes, but two, probably not. SD has plenty of open space - if you stay on ship at an island stop, they will most likely go on island. And if you go on island, you should be able to avoid them (SABA is about the only place you might run into them since SD usually commands all the taxis - a grand total of six).

I am so jealous of all of you with upcoming SD voyages. DisneyJen - think your DH and I could get Grand Mimosas delivered to the conference room next week before the meetings? Certainly would make it more interesting.

Oh well, until the fall crossing . . .and 2009.

FT

We usually grab a glass of champagne and a nibble or two to take to our suite to enjoy while changing.

From boarding to sunbed for us is usually about 45 minutes.

I'm sure they will bring some of those shrimp-in-a-shot-glass for you ... or you can always line your purse with plastic wrap:eek:

Nah, I don't work with plastic wrap. Only gallon-sized ziplock bags! :D

I am so jealous of all of you with upcoming SD voyages. DisneyJen - think your DH and I could get Grand Mimosas delivered to the conference room next week before the meetings? Certainly would make it more interesting.

Oh well, until the fall crossing . . .and 2009.

FT

Cactus juice maybe ... Grand Mimosas maybe not. And certainly no Grand Mimosas at the rodeo:eek:

On the bright side you have your next TWO SD cruises planned.

Cammiem ...I am a "zippie" girl ... I use those gallon Ziplock bags around the house, for travel, going to the pool, etc:p

Two teens will not be a big deal. There is really no where on the ship for them to run around, or cause a stir. There are no activities, so for the most part with only two when they are on board they are likely to be almost invisible, except at meals.

Where the kids tend to be an issue is when there are large extended family groups on board and then the family groups take over the ship, it is not just the kids.

The unknown factor is when does the owner and his family sail. That is usually not announced and can result in kids even if SD says there are none.

The unknown factor is when does the owner and his family sail. That is usually not announced and can result in kids even if SD says there are none.

That is an excellent point. I am somewhat concerned that we will run into this situation on our March 16 cruise as I understand the owners sail two weeks in March and we are sailing the week before Easter (it was the only week that worked for us this year). Selfishly I am hoping if they are sailing that week that they are on board SD2 since they were on SD1 in December.

When I called in our final payment I asked about children on board. I was told there were none but that not everyone had completed their forms:confused:

Regardless, we will have a good time.

That is an excellent point. I am somewhat concerned that we will run into this situation on our March 16 cruise as I understand the owners sail two weeks in March and we are sailing the week before Easter (it was the only week that worked for us this year). Selfishly I am hoping if they are sailing that week that they are on board SD2 since they were on SD1 in December.

When I called in our final payment I asked about children on board. I was told there were none but that not everyone had completed their forms:confused:

Regardless, we will have a good time.

Do you know what week they will be on SD2?

Do you know what week they will be on SD2?

PURE SPECULATION...

I don't know that they will be on at all ... I am just guessing that they will sail sometime in March as someone posted that they traditionally sail two weeks in December and two weeks in March.

Archived