The New My Time Dining

I have always had great table mates, but to me anytime dining you get to meet even more people. I love to eat anytime I am ready and dont like to be told what time I have to eat. Just show up when you are hungry and eat. Perfect! If you like a waiter one night well then you can choice him everynight. If you would like to eat as a couple one night you may if you would like to join other table mates the next night you may do that too. What dont you like about that?

[quote name='Sue L']right now it only seems to be a test on these ships. I don't care where they move it as long as I can still have my traditional. :D[/quote]

I hope that crap My Time/Free Style/Can-Have-Every-Day-Of-The-Week dinner remains an option in the future. If they take the traditional dining away I may have to switch cruise lines. :p

[quote name='renza']I have always had great table mates, but to me anytime dining you get to meet even more people. I love to eat anytime I am ready and dont like to be told what time I have to eat. Just show up when you are hungry and eat. Perfect! If you like a waiter one night well then you can choice him everynight. If you would like to eat as a couple one night you may if you would like to join other table mates the next night you may do that too. What dont you like about that?[/QUOTE] Nice for you to like MyTime but "What don't you like about that?" implies that those of us who like traditional must be FORCED into MyTime.

RCI so far seems to be incorporating flexibility into their testing of this option -- hope they continue to do that.

I'm so sick and tired of everyone demanding "choices". I enjoy meeting - and getting to know - my tablemates on each cruise - and don't use the alternative restaurants because I'd rather be with them for dinner...much more fun. The trend toward "free style" dining reduces the interaction between passengers. I no longer reserve a cabin with a balcony because, in that they are expensive, I feel as though I need to use the balcony I've paid so much for when I'd much rather be up on deck with my fellow passengers - not removed from everyone in my own private cacoon in the cabin or at dinner. On one cruise I had my balcony cabin, my brother and his wife had theirs and my aunt had another cabin on a lower deck - we all ended up in our separate quarters...or I would talk to my brother on his balcony which was one deck below my balcony. This is ridiculous. Cruise ships have become floating resort hotels. The interaction between passengers is vanishing, which is a shame. As far as "my time" dining goes...dinner is served well after the last tour has returned to the ship (the ship has usually sailed for the next port) so what on earth do people need to do that makes dining at the "set" first or second seating a problem? Yeah, I know...choices...choices...choices...

[QUOTE]
I'm so sick and tired of everyone demanding "choices". I enjoy meeting - and getting to know - my tablemates on each cruise - and don't use the alternative restaurants because I'd rather be with them for dinner...much more fun. The trend toward "free style" dining reduces the interaction between passengers. I no longer reserve a cabin with a balcony because, in that they are expensive, I feel as though I need to use the balcony I've paid so much for when I'd much rather be up on deck with my fellow passengers - not removed from everyone in my own private cacoon in the cabin or at dinner. On one cruise I had my balcony cabin, my brother and his wife had theirs and my aunt had another cabin on a lower deck - we all ended up in our separate quarters...or I would talk to my brother on his balcony which was one deck below my balcony. This is ridiculous. Cruise ships have become floating resort hotels. The interaction between passengers is vanishing, which is a shame. As far as "my time" dining goes...dinner is served well after the last tour has returned to the ship (the ship has usually sailed for the next port) so what on earth do people need to do that makes dining at the "set" first or second seating a problem? Yeah, I know...choices...choices...choices...
[/QUOTE]

But that is your choice - to have a set dinner time and to mingle with people during your entire cruise. No one is taking that away from you. Cruises are turning into giant resort areas and many more people including families are now cruising because of it. Cruiselines realized once they broke out of serving more then newlyweds or senior citizens, they would need to evolve. Carnival did it first and the majority have followed in their ways. Some for better and some for worse. Some people like it and some don't. They try hard to please all walks of life and I think by offering choices, people are more inclined to go on that cruiseline. The new ships are offering more balconies because there is a demand for it by the customers. New and old ships are adding more restaurants and seating times because that is what the customers are asking for. I understand your opinion but no one is taking that away from you. There is still traditional dining, there are still inside staterooms, there is always plenty of people to talk to anywhere on board. A cruise is what you make of it and by offering options, everyone is happy. Don't see it as a negative. I would think traditionalists should be happy too. Your tablemates will probably be very similar to you and be there all 7 nights as opposed to moving around, going to the specialty restaurants or dining at the WJ. You are less likely to get tablemates with kids, people who don't want to dress up, people coming in late, leaving early, never coming at all etc... I think if you narrow down the traditional dining people into those that truly want to do it, you will have a much better time in the dining room and your waiter will be less frazzled, consistent and happy themselves.

[quote name='Suzanne74']But that is your choice - to have a set dinner time and to mingle with people during your entire cruise. No one is taking that away from you. Cruises are turning into giant resort areas and many more people including families are now cruising because of it. Cruiselines realized once they broke out of serving more then newlyweds or senior citizens, they would need to evolve. Carnival did it first and the majority have followed in their ways. Some for better and some for worse. Some people like it and some don't. They try hard to please all walks of life and I think by offering choices, people are more inclined to go on that cruiseline. The new ships are offering more balconies because there is a demand for it by the customers. New and old ships are adding more restaurants and seating times because that is what the customers are asking for. I understand your opinion but no one is taking that away from you. There is still traditional dining, there are still inside staterooms, there is always plenty of people to talk to anywhere on board. A cruise is what you make of it and by offering options, everyone is happy. Don't see it as a negative. I would think traditionalists should be happy too. Your tablemates will probably be very similar to you and be there all 7 nights as opposed to moving around, going to the specialty restaurants or dining at the WJ. You are less likely to get tablemates with kids, people who don't want to dress up, people coming in late, leaving early, never coming at all etc... I think if you narrow down the traditional dining people into those that truly want to do it, you will have a much better time in the dining room and your waiter will be less frazzled, consistent and happy themselves.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...very well put! I never actually looked at this issue that way and I do think you have a very strong point. In that I really much prefer to interact with my fellow passengers, dress for dinner, have stimulating dinner conversations and so forth...yes, if the line keeps a "traditional" venue I suspect the people who opt for it will be very much my cup of tea. It may even improve things a bit as those passengers who don't want to "conform" to anything - i.e. the dress code - will naturally gravitate to the options and "choices" available elsewhere on the ship. The stuffy old traditionalists will be happy as well...yes, I tend to see your point! Merci!!!

[QUOTE]Hmm...very well put! I never actually looked at this issue that way and I do think you have a very strong point. In that I really much prefer to interact with my fellow passengers, dress for dinner, have stimulating dinner conversations and so forth...yes, if the line keeps a "traditional" venue I suspect the people who opt for it will be very much my cup of tea. It may even improve things a bit as those passengers who don't want to "conform" to anything - i.e. the dress code - will naturally gravitate to the options and "choices" available elsewhere on the ship. The stuffy old traditionalists will be happy as well...yes, I tend to see your point! Merci!!!

You are welcome - Happy Sailings! :)

I find an open seating concept leads me to be more outgoing - meeting a different set of people for each meal (yes, I understand some people simply HATE that). There have been times we've shared a table with the same groups of people we've already dined with, but it is a crapshoot.

While some of us do enjoy meeting fellow pax, there are plenty of posts on these boards where someone does NOT want to 'eat with strangers' or has a very strong preference for a table for two. I think it's easier to accomodate these, um, 'restrictions' with an open seating because there will be more tables for 2, there will be the "Table for 6, please" option.

The thing I feel most strongly about is that you not be [U]required[/U] to have a reservation. It's hardly "My Time Dining" if you have to choose a time and Be There Then. Isn't that what Traditional is? I'm not exactly sure whether they are or are not required, as the wording on the RCI message indicates that they will take ressies "for your convenience" but I have not seen verbiage that shows it's Required.

I'm sure they will keep traditional, as well. It's worked this long, why toss it when it's clear that many people prefer it? That would simply be a bad business decision.

[quote name='SherriZ366']Right now demand has resulted in one of the upper tiers (deck 4 or 5) being tradtional.[/QUOTE] I got my reply backwards. Meant to see that "demand has resulted in one (or half of one) of the upper tiers (deck 4 or 5) being MyTime dining. Other tier and deck 3 were kept traditional.

during the experiement so far on FOS as per anecdotal reports, RCI has been flexible and adjusted to passengers demand for MyTime and traditional.

[quote name='jplotts865']I'm so sick and tired of everyone demanding "choices". I enjoy meeting - and getting to know - my tablemates on each cruise - and don't use the alternative restaurants because I'd rather be with them for dinner...much more fun. The trend toward "free style" dining reduces the interaction between passengers. I no longer reserve a cabin with a balcony because, in that they are expensive, I feel as though I need to use the balcony I've paid so much for when I'd much rather be up on deck with my fellow passengers - not removed from everyone in my own private cacoon in the cabin or at dinner. On one cruise I had my balcony cabin, my brother and his wife had theirs and my aunt had another cabin on a lower deck - we all ended up in our separate quarters...or I would talk to my brother on his balcony which was one deck below my balcony. This is ridiculous. Cruise ships have become floating resort hotels. The interaction between passengers is vanishing, which is a shame. As far as "my time" dining goes...dinner is served well after the last tour has returned to the ship (the ship has usually sailed for the next port) so what on earth do people need to do that makes dining at the "set" first or second seating a problem? Yeah, I know...choices...choices...choices...[/quote]

With all due respect, aren't these "your choices"? While I do enjoy traditional dining, everyone is entitled to make choices for themselves.

[quote name='RetireeWannabee']I find an open seating concept leads me to be more outgoing - meeting a different set of people for each meal (yes, I understand some people simply HATE that). There have been times we've shared a table with the same groups of people we've already dined with, but it is a crapshoot.

While some of us do enjoy meeting fellow pax, there are plenty of posts on these boards where someone does NOT want to 'eat with strangers' or has a very strong preference for a table for two. I think it's easier to accomodate these, um, 'restrictions' with an open seating because there will be more tables for 2, there will be the "Table for 6, please" option.

[B]The thing I feel most strongly about is that you not be [U]required[/U] to have a reservation. It's hardly "My Time Dining" if you have to choose a time and Be There Then. Isn't that what Traditional is? I'm not exactly sure whether they are or are not required, as the wording on the RCI message indicates that they will take ressies "for your convenience" but I have not seen verbiage that shows it's Required.[/B]

I'm sure they will keep traditional, as well. It's worked this long, why toss it when it's clear that many people prefer it? That would simply be a bad business decision.[/quote]

It sounds like they are being conforming to the requests of each sailing. I think that is a good thing.

I got the My Time Dining email the other day. We will probably make the switch. The RCCL site states that reservations are suggested to keep from having an extended wait to be seated. It makes sense that if you show up at 7:00 which would be a pretty common time for people to show that you might have to wait for your desired table selection. As has been said before, choices..choices. We now can add a choice to make the reservation or just show up and have a short wait.

The reservation is not a requirement. I could probably get a different answer if I called RCCL customer service back again. The girl I spoke to at first said you reserved the My Time Dining, not a dining time, then read the site and changed her answer.

I really hope someone who has actually used this option will come on here and tell us how it went.

Happy Cruising,

David

[quote name='Suzanne74']I wouldn't mind waiting for a table for 20min or so - as long as they give me a beaper and a place to have a drink!:D[/quote]
And that is exactly what I would object to. I can have that experience at home but when I dine onboard a ship, I prefer it to be a special experience where the wait staff is waiting for me to arrive at my table so that they can serve me and my tablemates. However, if I chose to dine at an off-hour using "my time dining", and had planned my evening schedule accordingly, I would not be thrilled to have those plans scuttled by encountering a twenty minute or longer delay.:mad:
As long as I am still able to get traditional dining when I sail and am not forced into 'my time' dining, as so many have been with Princess' 'Anytime Dining', I have no problems with RCI offering both options. It is just that I am doubtful that both options can co-exist successfully. If they can prove me wrong I will gladly acknowledge the fact.:)

[quote name='negc']And that is exactly what I would object to. I can have that experience at home but when I dine onboard a ship, I prefer it to be a special experience where the wait staff is waiting for me to arrive at my table so that they can serve me and my tablemates. However, if I chose to dine at an off-hour using "my time dining", and had planned my evening schedule accordingly, I would not be thrilled to have those plans scuttled by encountering a twenty minute or longer delay.:mad:
As long as I am still able to get traditional dining when I sail and am not forced into 'my time' dining, as so many have been with Princess' 'Anytime Dining', I have no problems with RCI offering both options. It is just that I am doubtful that both options can co-exist successfully. If they can prove me wrong I will gladly acknowledge the fact.:)[/quote]
I think it depends on how well they implement it. I think that their testing it first is a very VERY good idea. Find what works, what doesn't, what do the pax have to say about it, etc. They would also need to prevent crossover - those that think they can go back and forth from fixed to anytime and back again. If they know ahead of time the approx headcounts, they can plan better.

We did a Princess cruise and chose Anytime and never had a wait of 20 minutes; 5 may have been the most. They also took one of the Anytime restaurants and made it Early Seating - Traditional so Princess did try to accomodate the demand for Traditional on that sailing. I did not find it to be an inconvenience as there were 3 other dining rooms for me to choose from.

[quote name='negc']And that is exactly what I would object to. I can have that experience at home but when I dine onboard a ship, I prefer it to be a special experience where the wait staff is waiting for me to arrive at my table so that they can serve me and my tablemates. However, if I chose to dine at an off-hour using "my time dining", and had planned my evening schedule accordingly, I would not be thrilled to have those plans scuttled by encountering a twenty minute or longer delay.:mad:
As long as I am still able to get traditional dining when I sail and am not forced into 'my time' dining, as so many have been with Princess' 'Anytime Dining', I have no problems with RCI offering both options. It is just that I am doubtful that both options can co-exist successfully. If they can prove me wrong I will gladly acknowledge the fact.:)[/QUOTE] I agree about the wait and the beeper.

I'm just hoping that RCI shows the same flexibility that they are showing in the test period (deck 4 or 5 for MyTime or only 1/2 of one of these decks if demand is lower) if the change is really implemented.

I was on NCL to Hawaii when to my surprise and horror they instituted "freestyle". We had to wait up to 40 minutes for a table almost every night--didn't want to eat at 5 or 9:30, tho we almost did with the wait. Can you guess why I have never sailed NCL again? Truly it put a bad cast over the whole trip.

For our December FOS cruise we had second seating, first waitlisted.. I just saw that on my ressie. Our kids would just prefer the windjammer BUT all in the room have to have the same... SO we switched to my time dining so that the kids can eat in the windjammer (or sorrentos or JR's) and then hubby and I can have a nice quite dinner! We did have to prepay our tips

[quote name='Suzanne74']I don't think RCCL would even be doing a trial run if they hadn't already heard complaint from guests. If everyone was happy - why change it? [/quote]
Well, I think that there are several reasons that they might try this without any "push" from the passengers.

Royal Caribbean is building more and more HUGE ships. They have to fill them. They can't do it just with the current passengers that they have. They must find new passengers. I would suggest that by offering what people think they are accustomed to in their everyday lives, {i.e., doing whatever they want whenever they want}, they will attract those people as new customers.

[quote name='Suzanne74'] I have also noticed that for our full cruise last Spring Break much of the dining room is empty. We ourselves never had a full table except first night. Someone stays late in Cozumel, some go to a specialty one night, one goes to WJ as to not dress up on formal nights. We missed 3 ourselves for specialty restaurants because we wanted to eat at a time that worked best for us, not RCCL.[/quote]I have never experienced anything even vaguely resembling what you are describing. While you can clearly see empty seats at times, I have NEVER seen "much of the dining room empty." NEVER.

I am not arguing against every form of choice. Personally, I see the specialty restaurants and the Windjammer and (where available) the Seaview Café and Johnny Rocket's as the alternative choices.

I *do* see that some people feel "fenced in" by traditional dining. My view is that they should try another cruiseline then; RC's view is that they want to be all things to all people.

I just hope that it can be done.

For one thing, this IS going to affect the shows. As it is now, show times are coordinated with dining times. If more and more people are NOT eating at standard times, they are going to have to figure out what to do with show times.

And I would like to address the oft-discussed issue of "I like to get to know my tablemates" vs "I like meeting NEW people every night".

When you are assigned a table, it seems to me that you must make an EFFORT to get to know those other people. You have an INVESTMENT in developing things to talk about, things to discuss. If you are sitting with new people every night, well, we all have the tendency to make snap judgments about people. Just one more night of dining with someone may reveal that what you had initially seen as pushiness or dullness in fact is part of someone also trying to figure YOU out, and once you are past that initial stage, real conversation and friendliness, even friendship, can develop.

And "finding friends" and "asking them to dine with you" can be fraught with as much, or more, peril.

So, you meet people up at the pool, and say, "Hey, let's eat together tonight." It is now YOUR choice. You have dinner. It turns out that you are not as compatible as it seemed in the glare of Caribbean sunlight. It's a little harder to extricate yourself from them, if they don't see it that way. They may think that they have found new best friends, and you would just as soon never see them again.

But YOU chose them. It's harder to un-choose them than if the cruiseline had thrown you together.

There is a LOT more at work here, a LOT more in the mix, than I think a lot of people have considered.

JMO YMMV

[quote name='Merion_Mom']And I would like to address the oft-discussed issue of "I like to get to know my tablemates" vs "I like meeting NEW people every night".

When you are assigned a table, it seems to me that you must make an EFFORT to get to know those other people. You have an INVESTMENT in developing things to talk about, things to discuss. If you are sitting with new people every night, well, we all have the tendency to make snap judgments about people. Just one more night of dining with someone may reveal that what you had initially seen as pushiness or dullness in fact is part of someone also trying to figure YOU out, and once you are past that initial stage, real conversation and friendliness, even friendship, can develop.

And "finding friends" and "asking them to dine with you" can be fraught with as much, or more, peril.

So, you meet people up at the pool, and say, "Hey, let's eat together tonight." It is now YOUR choice. You have dinner. It turns out that you are not as compatible as it seemed in the glare of Caribbean sunlight. It's a little harder to extricate yourself from them, if they don't see it that way. They may think that they have found new best friends, and you would just as soon never see them again.

But YOU chose them. It's harder to un-choose them than if the cruiseline had thrown you together.

There is a LOT more at work here, a LOT more in the mix, than I think a lot of people have considered.

JMO YMMV[/QUOTE]

Would this be considered MIND GAMES?

[QUOTE]For one thing, this IS going to affect the shows. As it is now, show times are coordinated with dining times. If more and more people are NOT eating at standard times, they are going to have to figure out what to do with show times.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the shows would be changed at all. People have the option of eating around them. I for one, have no desire to ever go to another RCCL show again. I have been to three and that is my fill of cheesy. :D

The term "choice" seems to be more "I don't want anyone telling me what to do or when to do it" as opposed to "I'd like this or that option". It's a mindset I find annoying and utterly self-centered.

Cruise ships are now so huge it is quite possible to board the ship, go to your cabin, sun on your balcony, eat dinner at your "table for two" and ultimtely leave the ship at the end of the voyage never having had to meet or interact with any other passenger. The real fun of a cruise used to be the interaction between the passengers and the social aspects of a sea voyage. This has all vanished, which is a shame.

To me - admittedly the odd man out - dinner is a social occasion not a feeding frenzy. Today, people (particularly Americans) simply want to "eat" and get on to the next event. I have also noticed younger people today really can't maintain a dinner conversation - another social skill that is either dying or now dead. I truely miss such things as manners and style...all gone...don't expect anyone to see my point here but as an "old coot" I miss (very much) the good old days of civilized cruising.

[quote name='jplotts865']
Cruise ships are now so huge it is quite possible to board the ship, go to your cabin, sun on your balcony, eat dinner at your "table for two" and ultimtely leave the ship at the end of the voyage never having had to meet or interact with any other passenger. The real fun of a cruise used to be the interaction between the passengers and the social aspects of a sea voyage. This has all vanished, which is a shame.
QUOTE]

Now to me that would be an awesome trip. I go on a cruise to spend a week with my DH. On our first cruise the other couple at our table was lovely and we enjoyed talking to them but I would pick being able to chat with DH any day over strained conversation with strangers. And while there are several aspects of the anytime dining that would make me still pick traditional. Being able to sit at a table for two is very tempting to me.

[quote name='jplotts865']The term "choice" seems to be more "I don't want anyone telling me what to do or when to do it" as opposed to "I'd like this or that option". It's a mindset I find annoying and utterly self-centered.

To me - admittedly the odd man out - dinner is a social occasion not a feeding frenzy. Today, people (particularly Americans) simply want to "eat" and get on to the next event. I have also noticed younger people today really can't maintain a dinner conversation - another social skill that is either dying or now dead. I truely miss such things as manners and style...all gone...don't expect anyone to see my point here but as an "old coot" I miss (very much) the good old days of civilized cruising.[/quote]

You aren't alone - yet at least. There are still a few of us 'traditionalists' left.:D

Archived