Cruise Review - January 6th Millenium Eastern

Acey

I had full intentions prior to the cruise to do a complete and thorough review of the cruise. However, meeting new friends and places and on the last day saying goodbye knowing you'll probably never see them again made me realize once again that life is way too short to worry about worn rugs or chipped plates - therefore I decided only to write about all the positives of the cruise and not mention anything negative.

Embarkation:

We arrived at midport parking garage at 11:00 AM and parked on level 2, which turned out to be OK because there is a catwalk to the terminal vicinity from that level. Millenium was docked at terminal 25, so no shuttle was required. Tip: Check your luggage with porter outside of terminal prior to entering. Due to the large number of non-American cruisers from previous cruise clearing customs, embarkation started at 12:30 or so. We were on ship by 1:00. All staff we encountered at embarkation wore Royal Caribbean uniforms and were very friendly!

Upon entering the ship we were offered champagne or a non-alcoholic drink. Smiles abounded by staff! I immediately visited the maitre 'd at the rendezvous lounge - service was prompt and friendly.

Food:

The food in the Metropolitan restaurant was very flavorful and hot. I felt it improved since my 2004 cruise on Millenium. The variety of deserts was impressive. For those who are wondering Lobster is still served. The waffles at the Ocean cafe were amazing! I had 23 during the week - and the girl from Croatia serving them is a pleasure to meet. I broke down to the waffles - one morning feeling slugglish I swore to myself I was just going to have an apple. Then I thought one waffle won't hurt - asked for one - 2 was placed on my plate (yes, I'm a victim) - had to eat them both - then said to myself well I screwed up - may as well have 2 more. I always get it with strawberries and real cream. There was a midnight fruit and desert buffet. Veggie pizza was amazing and friendly server from Indonesia! I enjoyed the home made ice cream, frozen yogurt and even softserve swirl. Bread basket irresistible at dinner.

Service:

Our waiter is from Bulgaria - his name is Dimitar (table 416B). He was incredibly observent - he noticed a negative look on fellow cruiser's face at our table and he came right over to see if food was OK. I couldn't finish a dish so switched plates with family member and when he was clearing dishes he said he knew we had switched (great memory). He had a great sense of humour ie. came around and collected lobster tail shells - said he needed them for the late sitting. Ass't always remembered preferences for tea coffee, etc....

Room service excellent - no problems - very clean room. Officer came around mid-cruise to verify standards are being met my room attendant - she looks to take her job very seriously coming right in room to inspect.

All employees say good day when you walk by them.

Other:

Equipment in gym all new.

Never had a problem with line ups or finding a lounger even though it was a full sailing.

Lifeboat drill quick and painless.

Shows were good to excellent - the last being the best. Tip: first "taste of what to come show" on first night is more advertising services onboard than entertainment.

Acrobats amazing.

The dance instructor had luscious buttocks you wanted to slap during the macarena (I think there were more people staring at him then dancing)

Only one announcement daily at 12:00 PM by captain.

Pools were great as usual. Tip: Thalasso therepy pool will fade your suit quickly due to combination of chlorine and salt - so don't use your best suit for this pool.

Fluffy pool towels.

Lots of free liquor if you know where to look - go to the officer sponsored parties like Captain's Club or sailaway party.

Debarkation:

Debarkation was best of all my cruises - no waiting around in big crowds. Based on a questionaire you fill out (whether you are flying right away, or taking tour or made own arrangements) - your debarkation is from a specific lounge at a specific time - so there is no stress. Just show up at designated place and time and go off ship leisurely with no crowding or complaining.

Thank you so much for you post. I'm on Mille in a week (Sun. 27th) -- my first Celebrity cruise. Appreciate your tip about the Thero pool as that's where I plan to spend my time. Interesting that of all posts you will always read differing opinions on almost everything--with the exception of the waffles, they are universally raved about. Can't wait! Bring 'em on, I'll diet later :)

Acey:

Did you really have to mention the waffles? Now the lineups will be huge!

Attention all January 27 Millie passengers:

Waffles are bad for you!

Do not believe all the great things you read about waffles on X!

You will not like waffles!

You should never even try a waffle!

You must not go to the Ocean cafe in the morning before 11 a.m!

Dave

Acey:

Waffles are bad for you!

Dave

Yes, you are right - the waffles were disgusting - the way the strawberries get caught in the deep golden-brown crevices and how the real cream tends to melt into a liquid because the waffles are too hot, moist and steamy from just coming out of the waffle maker - and that horrid smell from waffle station - must be the melted butter and syrup.

Bread basket irresistible at dinner.

Acey - We haven't been on Celebrity since 2002 - we used to love the bread they served, but on our Infinity cruise they no longer served our favorite rolls - crescent-shaped, but not crescent roll texture. They were wonderful. I don't suppose they are serving those again? If so, that would just make our 1/27 cruise right there!

Could you elaborate on your statement about the bread basket? :D

Acey:

Waffles are bad for you!

Dave

Sorry, Dave -- too late! I've already read all those awesome reviews of the waffles. I'll be the one standing in front of you every day! :D

Acey - We haven't been on Celebrity since 2002 - we used to love the bread they served, but on our Infinity cruise they no longer served our favorite rolls - crescent-shaped, but not crescent roll texture. They were wonderful. I don't suppose they are serving those again? If so, that would just make our 1/27 cruise right there!

Could you elaborate on your statement about the bread basket? :D

The basket had the breadsticks in them - I never ate them but I understand others like them. My favorite were these square-looking bread - they were brown, moist and had raisins in them. There was the standard hard crust thickly sliced white bread; and flat on bottom rounded on top rolls - some tasting standard and others of rye. There may have been more but my memory is a bit doey from waffle withdrawel.

Acey - Thanks for sharing your "positive only" review. I'm happy to 'hear' you enjoyed your cruise so much! We just got our "Final Payment Reminder" and after reading all the great reviews over the past week, we're bursting with anticipation! Oh, and, I'll be watching out for the dance instructor!;) Oops! Now I can't let my DH see this thread!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

Archived