Australia/New Zealand

Jancruz

Good Morning all,

Stu and I leave tomorrow for 5 weeks on Nautca from Auckland to Bangkok and I will be posting from the ship about everyother day !

Dont hesitate to ask any questions while I am on board.

Jan

Yes, if you could do me a favor and check out 4028 for me. It's marked as a handicapped cabin, don't know why we were assigned it, we aren't disabled, but want to know if the configuration is different from the other Cat. G cabins. Does it have a bigger bathroom and shower?

Also, do they have pillow chocolates and how yummy are they or just so-so?

We are on the 50 night Nov. 18 to Jan. 7 and just want to know what to expect.

Thanks alot and I look forward to all your postings.

Happy Sailing,

Joanne, the chocoholic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I cant believe it has been 10 days since we came on the ship!!

The weather at first was cool and rainy and the seas were rather high..lots of people taking ginger and other medications..but the trip itself has been amazing, the sights and sounds of New Zealand are fabulous..it is a beautiful country and very friendly..(once you get out of the airport LOL)

Staff on board is wonderful, we know many of them from our previous trips and we felt like we are coming home as we boarded!!

The only town we did not take a tour was Napier where we just took a local walking tour to find out all about the Art Deco buildings in the town..We have been on all Oceania tours and they have been spectacular..The only tour I personally did not care for was the Train in the gorge..I found it long and boring and after the first 1/2 hour I read my book ..

The food has been great (as usual) and have eaten in every venue but Tapas..

Carlos is the head of the restaurant if anyone remembers him from his butler days..he is great at his new job!!

We havent seen the entertainment but heard that it is much better than usual..the stores on the ships are new and seem to have some interesting items to buy, but I think it is pretty funny they have very dressy clothes..

The one problem I found in NZ is that I love to shop and the prices are very high...

I am looking forward to Bali!!

Stu is ready for breakfast so I am forced to leave you more soon..

Jan

JanCruz1 - You have just made our day telling us Carlos is there. He was our butler when we did around the Horn on it's first voyage there (BA to Valparaiso. Then on our last two trips, Carlos was the Matri'd of Polo. Can't wait to see him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear the trip has been great. See you all soon. Hope we get to meet as I do not know what you look like, nor you - us.

Leaving Sunday for Sydney. Woo Hoo

New Zealand shopping may be pricey due to the high exchange rate. When we were there in Spring, 2001, it was really cheap with NZ$ = 42 UScents!

With the decline of the US$ and the surging natural resource currencies, from C$ to A$ to NZ$ and many others, life is going to be a lot more difficult for US tourists. Within the US, you may not feel it, and prices are really cheap compared with those in other countries, and therefore the still low official inflation rate. Once you leave the US and tour through other countries, in US$ terms, the inflation rate is surely not 2%, more like 20% in the last couple of years! When is the pendulum going to swing back somewhat?

Archived