Excursion to Baths

shellshell

Am going to Tortola the week of Feb. 10 - 17 and am traveling with my mom (70-something). Was going to book the shore excursion to the Baths that takes the ferry and safari bus. This is $69 per person. Was wondering if anyone has taken this excursion or is it just easier to take the ferry on your own.

Thanks for any advice!:) :) :)

Am going to Tortola the week of Feb. 10 - 17 and am traveling with my mom (70-something). Was going to book the shore excursion to the Baths that takes the ferry and safari bus. This is $69 per person. Was wondering if anyone has taken this excursion or is it just easier to take the ferry on your own.

Read this from IHALL http://lhall85917.googlepages.com/tortola

it should help:cool:

I've taken this excursion in the past. it was far better for peace of mind. The problem with the ferries on your own is that they run a limited schedule, so you really have to pay attention or you may get left behind.

We were there last week & took the Speedy's ferry on our own. We bought the ferry & taxi package for $30.00 each. I sat in the nice restaurant at the top while the rest climbed down through the boulders to the Baths. After seeing their photos, good thing I did (terrible knees)! I was perfectly happy & my family loved the beautiful beach. It was a great day.

You need to take a serious look at what is involves with this excursion. There is a trail that must be negotiated from the Top of the Baths down to the Baths themselves. It is about 300 to 350 yards and is down hill, which means on the way back it is uphill. It is not paved , but is dirt and has some very steep and high steps. The Baths are beautiful but make sure that your mom can handle this trail before you book this.

Also make sure that you take a watch if you go on your own. Depending on the time of year that you cruise the VIs may be on ship time or they might be on a different time. You will just have to ask and make sure you don't miss the ferry back, if you go on your own.

Thanks for all the information. My mom is a very active 70-something. I think we will take the ferry on our own as from what I can tell, a great majority of people do this. I really appreciate the quick responses.

Cruising in just 3 1/2 weeks. Can't Wait!

:)

You need to take a serious look at what is involves with this excursion. There is a trail that must be negotiated from the Top of the Baths down to the Baths themselves. It is about 300 to 350 yards and is down hill, which means on the way back it is uphill. It is not paved , but is dirt and has some very steep and high steps. The Baths are beautiful but make sure that your mom can handle this trail before you book this.

Also make sure that you take a watch if you go on your own. Depending on the time of year that you cruise the VIs may be on ship time or they might be on a different time. You will just have to ask and make sure you don't miss the ferry back, if you go on your own.

The trail isn't the only problem. I visited The Baths 2 years ago. I was 27 and was in pretty good shape. The trail wasn't a problem, the water at the Baths was. I don't know if it was just that day, but as soon as I was thigh deep in the water my feet were sucked out from under me and I was pulled across rocks. Luckily they were smooth so I wasn't cut. I was dragged at least 15' out in the water only to be immediately shoved back over the same rocks and deposited on shore. The water was definately rougher than it looked. I'm 6'4", 290lbs and it had it's way with me. I can see this being very dangerous for children or the elderly. Very few people were in the water for that very reason.

We went on our own. We took Speedy's ferry package which was great. At that time it even included lunch...We thought the baths were beautiful and worth the trip. Your mom can just stay at the restaurant while you venture down...it is a little steep but I didn't think it was so bad. If your mom is active and in shape she can do it. However, what I thought was interesting was the water. After my DH and I finished exploring the baths we heard a roar..it almost sounded like a mini Tsunami. It was kind of scarey..especially when we turned around and found the water was practically on top of us. Just out of the blue it crashed down around us and we weren't that close to the shoreline! What the H_ll!...Everybody there was running thinking it was a Tsunami. All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't between the boulders when that happened. It happened only once. We eventually assumed it was a boat speeding by that was very close to shore that nobody saw because the boulder's were in the way...It was definitely an experience and I'll do it again anytime! and I will at the end of January.

Have a fun trip!

The trail isn't the only problem. I visited The Baths 2 years ago. I was 27 and was in pretty good shape. The trail wasn't a problem, the water at the Baths was. I don't know if it was just that day, but as soon as I was thigh deep in the water my feet were sucked out from under me and I was pulled across rocks. Luckily they were smooth so I wasn't cut. I was dragged at least 15' out in the water only to be immediately shoved back over the same rocks and deposited on shore. The water was definately rougher than it looked. I'm 6'4", 290lbs and it had it's way with me. I can see this being very dangerous for children or the elderly. Very few people were in the water for that very reason.

I posted a while back that I thought the Baths were beautiful but wasn't able to go beyond the entrance. I got as far as the ropes, where you had to start climbing rocks, holding on to ropes. I was afraid I would break my leg again, so I turned around. I still had a wonderful time and enjoyed the rest of the excursion of sunning on the beach. I was asked on this board however if I was 90 years old, since I admitted I couldn't do the Caves. He insisted anyone could do it. To OP, even though your mother is 70 and very active, make sure she doesn't end up with a broken leg (both bones) like me.

Archived