$800 increase - Is this reasonable?

gerig

I keep stating that the supply is still plentiful on this cruise. The same number of sky suites that were available three months ago are still available. I guess the computer system felt if they raised the prices it would also increase the demand.

The computer systems that they use to maximize revenue are so sophisticated that they can even take into account booking trends on different cruise lines. They could be picking up increased bookings on similar cabins on similar itineraries with Princess or HAL. A good computer system will anticipate changes in demand patterns, not just react to them after the fact.

A wise TA once told me, when I inquired about the possibility of a complimentary upgrade, that we should always book the cabin we would be happy with. So that's what I do. I understand your wanting a SS. They are lovely on Century (we booked 5 of them last year for a family reunion cruise). However, if that's what you wanted, you should have booked it when it was the price you were willing to pay. At $1,099 I would not have waited. I just booked air for April and it's more than I've ever paid for air to Florida. However, I realize a lot of schools are on spring break and I'm gambling that if it goes down, I'm gonna have to suck it up that I overpaid. If it goes up (which I gambled that it will), I'll still be unhappy I had to pay what I paid, but glad I didn't wait and have to pay even more. So you gambled the price would drop lower than $1,099 and it didn't. Unfortunately, that was a chance you took. We have friends who hesitated when we invited them to book the 10 day Constellation with us for Feb. 8, 2008. When they finally decided they wanted to join us, the price had gone up $1,200 per person for the same cabin we got. Of course, paying $2,400 more for the same cruise didn't appeal to them. It's the old saying, "you snooze, you lose." But having said that, I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the price will come down. Maybe even after final payment is due. When we booked our SS last year for Century, my sister decided too late that she and her DH and their kids wanted to join us. At that time they wanted nothing less than a SS...none were available. I kept checking for her and lo and behold, about 4 weeks prior to sailing, one became available and they were able to join us. So keep the faith...it might work out for you.

A I just booked air for April and it's more than I've ever paid for air to Florida. However, I realize a lot of schools are on spring break and I'm gambling that if it goes down, I'm gonna have to suck it up that I overpaid. If it goes up (which I gambled that it will), I'll still be unhappy I had to pay what I paid, but glad I didn't wait and have to pay even more. .

Isn't air insane this year? I tried to get tickets last September and they were high. I checked yesterday for February and some flights to FL are $1,500 each way (in coach)!

I keep stating that the supply is still plentiful on this cruise. The same number of sky suites that were available three months ago are still available. I guess the computer system felt if they raised the prices it would also increase the demand.

Just waiting to see what happens.

Something you do not seem to realize is that the number of cabins shown on any booking system, agent or public, show only a limited number of cabins. For Celebrity it is typically a maximum of 8. So, if they are 30 cabins left they will only show 8 and if there are only 8 cabins left they will only display 8.

Another thing you should know it is not just the SS availability that will drive the price. If all the lower categories are almost full they will jack up what is left. It can also be affected by how many guarantees they have accepted for lower categories. Believe me, they know what they are doing and the rare case when a "mistake" is made gets fixed very quickly.

Hi,

to the OP, you also stated final payment is due 31Jan....Keep a sharp yey on the situation after 1st February: you'll see a predictably noticeable change in the scenery....

As well, you stated that PH & RS were sold out long time ago...means that SS is now ''top of the line''....and who would blame a supplier for pricing them as such ? that's exactly what == x == is doing .

My opinion.

Good luck

Cheers

:cool:

Hi,

to the OP, you also stated final payment is due 31Jan....Keep a sharp yey on the situation after 1st February: you'll see a predictably noticeable change in the scenery....

As well, you stated that PH & RS were sold out long time ago...means that SS is now ''top of the line''....and who would blame a supplier for pricing them as such ? that's exactly what == x == is doing .

My opinion.

Good luck

Cheers

:cool:

Due to the fact that final payment is 1/31...there could be PH and RS available also. Right now, only a deposit has been held for these cabins....so you never know.

Something you do not seem to realize is that the number of cabins shown on any booking system, agent or public, show only a limited number of cabins. For Celebrity it is typically a maximum of 8. So, if they are 30 cabins left they will only show 8 and if there are only 8 cabins left they will only display 8.

I know the sites can only publish 8 cabins, that is why I have gone into the Celebrity system and inputted each cabin to see what is really available.

The point I was trying to make with my posting was I didn't understand what drove the price to $1899 when the same number of cabins are available and nothing else changed about this cruise. Since November the higher suites were sold out and the availability of the inside, outside, balcony and suites did not change.

I have never sailed on the Century and was only thinking about possibly paying and upgrading to the sky suite. I have heard some issues with the bed on the wall in this FV cabin. We normally always book an aft CC on the Millenium and Constellation and hope the FV aft on the Century is comparable (I know the balcony is not has big as Millenium and Constellation). However having your options open is always good. When I bookedthe FV guaranteei was only because a FV was not available. I will only book a cabin that I feel I will be happy with.

Reasonable? Reasonable is whatever the cruise lines what to charge. Not intending to flame but I find it interesting how misunderstood the pricing system of the cruise lines is by some and there surprise when these things happen.

Perhaps the correct wording should have been "a possible mistake or error". What I was asking the audience was "is this an error"? Celebrity can ask whatever they want for a cabin which of course I realize. I am a seasoned cruiser and understand how certain cruises will rise - for instance Med cruises during peak season June - September will cost much more than October - December. I also realize the seasonal fluctuations - Holiday time and such will also drive prices up. In New York the cruises sailing out of Bayonne will rise June - August and will decline in September.

Unfortunately, I did not understand what drove the price of this cruise - nothing had change since November. I honestly thought that this was a pricing error made by Celebrity.

I guess you have never gone into a store they have incorrectly priced an item. That is what I think happened - all it is a data entry error. This is what I believe is the case

It is VERY possible that most of the ship is sold out. The SS are some of the FEW cabins available. Therefore, supply and demand dictates that the last few cabins are the MOST expensive. The least expensive cabins sell out first generally. So if all that is left are scattered cabins in all categories and 11 SS, why would the cruise line NOT raise the price. Sounds like a good marketing move to me-IF you want to go on the cruise at all, you will have to pay the price.

It is VERY possible that most of the ship is sold out. The SS are some of the FEW cabins available. Therefore, supply and demand dictates that the last few cabins are the MOST expensive. The least expensive cabins sell out first generally. So if all that is left are scattered cabins in all categories and 11 SS, why would the cruise line NOT raise the price. Sounds like a good marketing move to me-IF you want to go on the cruise at all, you will have to pay the price.

As I stated the inventory of cabins has not changed much since November. As I have stated I understand "supply and demand" and marketing, but I have followed the cabin inventory(via the Celebrity - by inputting cabin numbers) and nothing has changed. Once 1/31/08 passes there will probably be an increase in cabin availability since final payment is due. So I suppose cabin prices will increase again.

I know the sites can only publish 8 cabins, that is why I have gone into the Celebrity system and inputted each cabin to see what is really available.

The point I was trying to make with my posting was I didn't understand what drove the price to $1899 when the same number of cabins are available and nothing else changed about this cruise. Since November the higher suites were sold out and the availability of the inside, outside, balcony and suites did not change.

I have never sailed on the Century and was only thinking about possibly paying and upgrading to the sky suite. I have heard some issues with the bed on the wall in this FV cabin. We normally always book an aft CC on the Millenium and Constellation and hope the FV aft on the Century is comparable (I know the balcony is not has big as Millenium and Constellation). However having your options open is always good. When I bookedthe FV guaranteei was only because a FV was not available. I will only book a cabin that I feel I will be happy with.

Why don't you consider a CC? On our date the price is the same or maybe fluctuates $10.00 and the CC has the expanded breakfast menu. Someone already posted (I thought) that the FV balcony on Century was smaller than the other ships and also the entire cabin vibrates when docking, plus the bed is in an odd place, but of course works well if you are bringing small children. If the price is the same, why not move to a CC?

You did not say what you are paying for the FV?

Why don't you consider a CC? On our date the price is the same or maybe fluctuates $10.00 and the CC has the expanded breakfast menu. Someone already posted (I thought) that the FV balcony on Century was smaller than the other ships and also the entire cabin vibrates when docking, plus the bed is in an odd place, but of course works well if you are bringing small children. If the price is the same, why not move to a CC?

You did not say what you are paying for the FV?

I think the FV was $20 more than the CC - we paid $939.

The FV is more than the CC. I originally booked a sunset veranda and then read all the posts about them and decided to change. We really like aft cabins and only FV or Century suites are in the aft on the Century. We could only get a guarantee FV cabin. Believe I would rather get two cruise credits for this cruise which I can only get if I book a CC. I have heard about the noise and vibration in the aft; however we are early morning people and normally up at 6:00 - 6:30. We normally do not eat in our cabin, since we get up and go to the fitness room. I think the bed is an odd arrangement which is the price we pay for the aft location. The FV on the Century is alot smaller than the FV on the Millenium and Constellation.

Isn't air insane this year? I tried to get tickets last September and they were high. I checked yesterday for February and some flights to FL are $1,500 each way (in coach)!

:eek: I don't know where you live, but I booked our flights from TN to FLL (2 weeks ago for the 2/4 cruise) for $238 total ! That's for the both of us, not each. Allegiant Air. :)

Believe I would rather get two cruise credits for this cruise which I can only get if I book a CC.
I didn't realize that Celebrity gives double points for CC cabins. :confused:

:eek: I don't know where you live, but I booked our flights from TN to FLL (2 weeks ago for the 2/4 cruise) for $238 total ! That's for the both of us, not each. Allegiant Air. :)

Believe I would rather get two cruise credits for this cruise which I can only get if I book a CC.

Yes I have received two cruise for two of my past cruises on the Constellation when I have booked CC class. One cruise was for 9 days the other for 11. If I booked a CC for this 5 day cruise I would also receive an extra cruise credit.

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']:eek: I don't know where you live, but I booked our flights from TN to FLL (2 weeks ago for the 2/4 cruise) for $238 total ! That's for the both of us, not each. Allegiant Air. :)
[/quote]

It doesn't matter where you live. Check any flights out of Miami or FLL on Saturday afternoon Feb 23 after 1:00pm. I think there are 7 ships in port and the major problem is getting into any hub. The way around it is to stay overnight and fly back on Sunday. Some people are gambling on 11:00am flights on their return (wasn't willing to do that especially with two minors).

Btw, two of our Flights were $100.00 roundtrip each, because they were companion tickets:)

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']Just checked for those dates (2/16 - 2/23) in/out of FLL.
For me, Allegiant would be $138 pp round trip![/quote]

I have never heard of that airline. We live North. Are you renting a car? I heard it is $70.00 each way for a cab to FLL.

Btw, even FLL to TN on Feb 23 is showing "unavailable"

What area of TN did you try. From the TRI airport to FLL is $405 on USAir.

[URL]http://www.allegiantair.com/aaIndex.php[/URL] has hubs in the north, too.

No, we are not renting a car. The $70 each way is probably about right. We fly into FLL often. Ft. Lauderdale is a much better place to stay and we have a two night pre-cruise. Hopefully, with good weather.

[quote name='Jade13']I noticed this on the 2/18 sailing. We had the opportunity at one point to book a SS at I believe $899.00, but DH insisted we would never use the balcony so we decided to stay in the CC. The SS are now $1,799 (or $1,899). I think it is supply and demand and not an error. Btw, every other cruise I have been on besides Celebrity has had prices go up, not down. The lowest inside is a steal at $319.00 :)[/QUOTE]

OMG I am so glad I grabbed a SS when I did for the 2/18 sailing! We got ours for $799 per person and $149 for our daughter. Today that same cabin would have cost us 2100 dollars more. Wow........................more money for more martinis!

[quote name='megsmum611']OMG I am so glad I grabbed a SS when I did for the 2/18 sailing! We got ours for $799 per person and $149 for our daughter. Today that same cabin would have cost us 2100 dollars more. Wow........................more money for more martinis![/quote]

Wow! We did not pay that much less for a CC. I am OK with that because I don't want to deal with a butler, and like the CC breakfast menu which I understand you can get in SS but have to request.

Ok, I checked everyday and only saw the SS go down to $899.00. We have two more cruises booked this year so this was an extra.

To get the SS for $799.00 was that either a past passenger rate, senior rate, military rate, or special rate based on your residence? I never saw them that low and I checked every morning. Great deal.

I did see the 3rd, 4th passenger rate go down, but we decided to give our teenager her own cabin along with her friend.

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']WOW! :eek: That's a super deal! How far in advance did you get the SS?[/QUOTE]

I booked what I call "last minute" - it was after the final payments were due and the cancellations must have been coming in. I know it was after January 1st for sure. We are not seniors, no military discounts but I read somewhere on this board that there had been a special discount for Massachusetts residents, why I don't know nor do I know if it applied. We have sailed Celebrity and Royal Carr in the past. I have no knowledge of how or why this happened but as of today, I have the docs and that is what I paid. Hubbie is very happy!

Archived