$800 increase - Is this reasonable?

gerig

[quote name='Jade13']Wow! We did not pay that much less for a CC. I am OK with that because I don't want to deal with a butler, and like the CC breakfast menu which I understand you can get in SS but have to request.

Ok, I checked everyday and only saw the SS go down to $899.00. We have two more cruises booked this year so this was an extra.

To get the SS for $799.00 was that either a past passenger rate, senior rate, military rate, or special rate based on your residence? I never saw them that low and I checked every morning. Great deal.

I did see the 3rd, 4th passenger rate go down, but we decided to give our teenager her own cabin along with her friend.[/QUOTE]

We had originally had a hold on a CC cabin but then I kept checking the rates and at one point, it was $200 extra for the entire week for all 3 of us. They were charging $200 more for the 3rd person in the cabin in CC class than the SS. We grabbed it for the extra room - I am bringing a 14 yr old girl and all the clothes and shoes and makeup that entails. We did a CC cabin on the Millie last Feb and I about wanted to kill her at about day 3 with the stuff everywhere. Anyway, on top of it all, the Celebrity website was only showing availability of SS cabins with the smaller verandahs. My TA pulled up the availability and she was showing multiple cabins with the 142 SF verandahs for the same price. I love my TA. I kept checking the Celebrity website over and over and they never showed the 1200 cabins available.

As I said in my previous post, I read somewhere about there being a discount for Mass residents? I have no clue but maybe that applied? No seniors or military people here.

I don't know what on earth I am going to do with a butler. One coworker laughed and suggested that if he is cute enough to just have him sit on the veranda......

Bottom line is: Celebrity can do whatever they darn well please with their prices, and no amount of calling to their offices will change things. It's the same with the price of gas. One minute it's $3 a gallon and the next they're changing the price to $3.59, and that's not even when they receive a new shipment of fuel---they just change the price willy-nilly. It's called free enterprise and businesses can charge whatever they please, without having to justify their decisions to anyone nor do they need to have a reason to do so.

[quote name='megsmum611']We had originally had a hold on a CC cabin but then I kept checking the rates and at one point, it was $200 extra for the entire week for all 3 of us. They were charging $200 more for the 3rd person in the cabin in CC class than the SS. We grabbed it for the extra room - I am bringing a 14 yr old girl and all the clothes and shoes and makeup that entails. We did a CC cabin on the Millie last Feb and I about wanted to kill her at about day 3 with the stuff everywhere. Anyway, on top of it all, the Celebrity website was only showing availability of SS cabins with the smaller verandahs. My TA pulled up the availability and she was showing multiple cabins with the 142 SF verandahs for the same price. I love my TA. I kept checking the Celebrity website over and over and they never showed the 1200 cabins available.

As I said in my previous post, I read somewhere about there being a discount for Mass residents? I have no clue but maybe that applied? No seniors or military people here.

I don't know what on earth I am going to do with a butler. One coworker laughed and suggested that if he is cute enough to just have him sit on the veranda......[/quote]

Our TA is giving us pre-paid gratuites. Does your daughter go to school in Boston, as I know some of the schools in the area? Btw, I am bringing two teenagers.

[quote name='Jade13']Our TA is giving us pre-paid gratuites. Does your daughter go to school in Boston, as I know some of the schools in the area? Btw, I am bringing two teenagers.[/QUOTE]

No my daughter is still in high school and attends a private catholic high school here in town. Are you going 2/18 also?

Prepaid gratuities? NICE!

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']For all three of you! :eek:

We are getting $50 shipboard credit.[/quote]

I only have one cabin booked with the TA (2 people), so it is about $105.00. They couldn't do anything for the cheap inside so I left it with Celebrity (because of the cancelation risk with the TA). Both cabins are linked and all paperwork came directly to me on the same day.

[quote name='megsmum611']I booked what I call "last minute" - it was after the final payments were due and the cancellations must have been coming in. I know it was after January 1st for sure. We are not seniors, no military discounts but I read somewhere on this board that there had been a special discount for Massachusetts residents, why I don't know nor do I know if it applied. We have sailed Celebrity and Royal Carr in the past. I have no knowledge of how or why this happened but as of today, I have the docs and that is what I paid. Hubbie is very happy![/quote]

You may get the cabin you want, but you don't always get the best price. Evidently the abundance of sky suites within the last couple of weeks encouraged Celebrity to reduce the prices for the February 18th cruise.

Well the inventory of the sky suites has actually increased for 3/31/08 cruise, so I'll watch to see if a price drop occurs and might grab a sky suite - or perhaps due to the inventory Celebrity might decide to assign me one since i have a FV guarantee.

[quote name='gerig']You may get the cabin you want, but you don't always get the best price. Evidently the abundance of sky suites within the last couple of weeks encouraged Celebrity to reduce the prices for the February 18th cruise.

Well the inventory of the sky suites has actually increased for 3/31/08 cruise, so I'll watch to see if a price drop occurs and might grab a sky suite - or perhaps due to the inventory Celebrity might decide to assign me one since i have a FV guarantee.[/QUOTE]

The Sky Suites have also increased dramatically since we booked - from $799 to $1749 per person. I was just lucky I guess!

[quote name='megsmum611']The Sky Suites have also increased dramatically since we booked - from $799 to $1749 per person. I was just lucky I guess![/quote]

I'm sure the number of sky suites decreased dramatically after the $799 price offer. I'm sure alot of people upgraded. Now the inventory of sky suites is probably minimal - therefore the price is high.

I hope 6 - 7 weeks prior to my cruise the prices drop like that. Currently there are 14 sky suites unsold.

[quote name='megsmum611']The Sky Suites have also increased dramatically since we booked - from $799 to $1749 per person. I was just lucky I guess![/quote]

The Sky Suites just went down to $999.00 for someone who really wants one. Heck the 2A balcony is $639.00.

My inside just went down to $309.00 and they refunded me $100.00.

[quote name='Jade13']The Sky Suites just went down to $999.00 for someone who really wants one. Heck the 2A balcony is $639.00.

My inside just went down to $309.00 and they refunded me $100.00.[/quote]

Hey good for you - that's $100 more for other things. Since my cruise is more than 7 weeks after yours - I'm sure the prices will go up and down a number of times. You just have to keep watching the prices. I also thinkt that I would be happy with a price reduction on the FV - I paid $939 and a nice adjustment would make me happy. I think I saw this cabin going for around $750 for mid February cruises.

[quote name='gerig']Hey good for you - that's $100 more for other things. Since my cruise is more than 7 weeks after yours - I'm sure the prices will go up and down a number of times. You just have to keep watching the prices. I also thinkt that I would be happy with a price reduction on the FV - I paid $939 and a nice adjustment would make me happy. I think I saw this cabin going for around $750 for mid February cruises.[/quote]

Woo hoo, my CC just went down $130.00pp. Agent wanted to charge $50.00 change fee (Would normally be $100.00 ($50.00pp) but they were going to split the difference). I asked again and they are waiving all, but made it clear any further reductions would have the fee, especially since it is after final. I sure hope they call Celebrity fast enough before the price jumps back up...

[quote name='Jade13']Woo hoo, my CC just went down $130.00pp. Agent wanted to charge $50.00 change fee (Would normally be $100.00 ($50.00pp) but they were going to split the difference). I asked again and they are waiving all, but made it clear any further reductions would have the fee, especially since it is after final. I sure hope they call Celebrity fast enough before the price jumps back up...[/quote]

I have never paid a change fee from the TA I use and I have frequently made changes after final payment. Do most TA's charge this? $50 per person is expensive - I understand that they make less commissions and realize my cruise credit with them should be reduced, but I have never heard that they charge to change. Glad things worked out for you

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']Sure wish my sailing had the SS available. :(

I just checked your sailing (2/18 correct?) and the price for the SS is $1749. Did the price go back up that quick?[/quote]

It is still $899.00pp

[URL="http://www.celebritycruises.com/booking/getPackageDetailsStateroomPopup.do;jsessionid=0000c_0VOPp2V2p89m_jnSLlx0s:12hdebcnj?selectedStateroom=1203%7E%7ESS%7E%7ESS%7E%7EDLSA09%7E%7Efalse%7E%7ED%7E%7ESS%7E%7ESky+Suite%7E%7ESP%7E%7ESports+Deck%7E%7E2%7E%7EMS%7E%7E"][COLOR=#0000ff]1203[/COLOR][/URL]*899.00
per person

[quote name='Jade13']The Sky Suites just went down to $999.00 for someone who really wants one. Heck the 2A balcony is $639.00.

My inside just went down to $309.00 and they refunded me $100.00.[/QUOTE]

Luck of the draw! Have to watch the prices daily...funny thing is that the Celebrity website is showing the SS at $899 and another online "discount" TA is still showing them at $1749. Good for you and your refund!

This inventory of sky suites for my cruise has increased (3/31/08) and the tracking of the historical evidence of the Century cruises for the period January - April still leads me to believe that the prices of my cruise will come down. I also think the prices of all the other cabin will be reduced since the ship has plenty of inventory to sell.

I still have not received a cabin assignment - here's the plan I'll wait to see if I get assigned a higher category at the FV guarantee price. If not and prices go down to the levels I have seen, I may just upgrade and either pay a small price or receive a small refund (depending upon the price. I still may just keep the FV cabin since the balcony is so large - but I'm concerned about the full size bed placement in the cabin.

I'll just have to wait until those opportunities present themselves.

Archived