$800 increase - Is this reasonable?

gerig

I am booked on the 3/31/08 Century 5 day cruise. I have been watching the prices of sky suites for three months and they have remained at $1099. The cruise prior and the cruise after us are both $999 for a sky suite. I currently have a FV guaranty but was hoping the sky suite prices would go down since there are 11 or more available. On Monday the price changed from $1099 to $1899 - a 67% increase. I called Celebrity and spoke to two reps. and was informed that this is the price. I explained it didn't make since since no other cabin had a price increase and these cabins are still available. I also emailed Captains club and have not heard back.

Who else can I get in touch with as I really think that this is an error. I have seen prices go up but not at this rate - especially when so many are still available.

I am booked on the 3/31/08 Century 5 day cruise. I have been watching the prices of sky suites for three months and they have remained at $1099. The cruise prior and the cruise after us are both $999 for a sky suite. I currently have a FV guaranty but was hoping the sky suite prices would go down since there are 11 or more available. On Monday the price changed from $1099 to $1899 - a 67% increase. I called Celebrity and spoke to two reps. and was informed that this is the price. I explained it didn't make since since no other cabin had a price increase and these cabins are still available. I also emailed Captains club and have not heard back.

Who else can I get in touch with as I really think that this is an error. I have seen prices go up but not at this rate - especially when so many are still available.

I noticed this on the 2/18 sailing. We had the opportunity at one point to book a SS at I believe $899.00, but DH insisted we would never use the balcony so we decided to stay in the CC. The SS are now $1,799 (or $1,899). I think it is supply and demand and not an error. Btw, every other cruise I have been on besides Celebrity has had prices go up, not down. The lowest inside is a steal at $319.00 :)

I would check back every day online or by phone and see if the price changes. Prices go up closer to the sailing date as a general rule.

I understand that , but as I said the cruise before mine and the cruise after mine still list the sky suite as $999 - which is not near $1899. I just don't know who to contact.

Has anybody else had this happen?

I noticed this on the 2/18 sailing. We had the opportunity at one point to book a SS at I believe $899.00, but DH insisted we would never use the balcony so we decided to stay in the CC. The SS are now $1,799 (or $1,899). I think it is supply and demand and not an error. Btw, every other cruise I have been on besides Celebrity has had prices go up, not down. The lowest inside is a steal at $319.00 :)

I could understand the supply and demand; however there are plenty of sky suites still available and I recognize that the prices do go up the closer to sailing; however why does the March 14th cruise still have the sky suites at $999? My cruise is two weeks later and far from being sold out and the fact that no other cabins incurred price increase makes me believe an error has been made.

Maybe the higher price is attributed to Spring Break.

That would make sense if all the cabins increased their price, but this was only the sky suite. It appears spring break occurs from the beginning of March to the end of April in all difference parts of the country.

I don't see why you think contacting Celebrity will do anything. If this is the price they want to charge, it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to you. I'm sure they have a reason.

If the cabins don't sell at this price, I'm sure they'll drop it again. Why the worry?

They can sell cabins at whatever price they want, even if it seems ridiculous to some people. Who cares why they raised the prices on that category only?

And even if it was an error, who cares? Are you concerned about Celebrity's bottom line? You said you had a chance to book at the lower rate and decided against it. So what's the problem?

.... why does the March 14th cruise still have the sky suites at $999? My cruise is two weeks later and far from being sold out and the fact that no other cabins incurred price increase makes me believe an error has been made.

Prices do seem inconsistent for this cruise, but there is a cruise in April where SS cabins are priced at $1900+.

I think if you really have your heart set on a particular cabin and it is affordable, it's best to book it initially. If the prices come down, it's a bonus. If prices go up, then you've ended up with a bargain!:)

I don't see why you think contacting Celebrity will do anything. If this is the price they want to charge, it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to you. I'm sure they have a reason.

If the cabins don't sell at this price, I'm sure they'll drop it again. Why the worry?

They can sell cabins at whatever price they want, even if it seems ridiculous to some people. Who cares why they raised the prices on that category only?

And even if it was an error, who cares? Are you concerned about Celebrity's bottom line? You said you had a chance to book at the lower rate and decided against it. So what's the problem?

OP stated they hoped the prices would go down so they could move from their FV.

I guess you have never gone into a store they have incorrectly priced an item. That is what I think happened - all it is a data entry error. This is what I believe is the case

I guess you have never gone into a store they have incorrectly priced an item. That is what I think happened - all it is a data entry error. This is what I believe is the case

I actually do not think it is an error, at least not for the 2/18 departure. On that one the PH's and Royal Suites are sold out. So, these are the best of the Suites. Are PH's or Royal Suites still available on your date?

So, the question is, would you book this SS if it went back to $1099?

I am sure it is not an error. :(

The SS have been sold out for my 2/4 cruise on the Century since before I booked. We wanted to book one, but nothing showed as open. Now, I am not even checking to see if one becomes available from cancellation, because I know if will be "sky" high!

Your best bet is to keep checking and see if the price drops again and then grab it! Celebrity could have raised the price to get other categories to sell. Make the others look like a great deal.;)

I actually do not think it is an error, at least not for the 2/18 departure. On that one the PH's and Royal Suites are sold out. So, these are the best of the Suites.

Good explanation .... looks like SS is the best available on March 31, and Century Suite is next @ $999.

Could it be a revenue management issue? There are only a certain proportion of each cabin category actually available at the price quoted; if you like, that's the price for the 'next one to be sold'. Once that one has been sold, the price for the next one might be higher. In the case of Sky Suites there aren't many cabins so the jumps can be considerable after not many sales.

Just what goes into pricing is a mystery. We have a 2A booked on Century and I keep checking prices. Last week it went up $300 pp for 3 days and then came back down to the price we payed. Just keep your eye on it; I think they change a lot right after the final payment is due.

Just what goes into pricing is a mystery. We have a 2A booked on Century and I keep checking prices. Last week it went up $300 pp for 3 days and then came back down to the price we payed. Just keep your eye on it; I think they change a lot right after the final payment is due.

We had a 2A and that was fine with us as this is an "extra" cruise this year. However, when the CC was suddenly $10.00pp more for the 5 nights, we jumped and moved up one deck. The total stateroom difference was $20.00, plus I think an extra $5.00 total (.50 cents per day) on the pre-paid gratuites.

Over the past few years we've had bookings on two cruises that nearly doubled from an early booking rate as the cruise got closer. And a few others where we've seen 10% to 30% increases. Less often there have been a few where the prices dropped - but those were in less popular times. It is all supply and demand.

Gerig, why do you care? An FV is better than an SS, so you will probably get either for whatever price you guaranteed at. You won't have to pay the higher SS price. And if you get an FV you got the better cabin. And if you get a SS that's ok too.

I would only be perturbed about the strange pricing if I wanted a SS (over any kind of aft? No way).

If you think $800 is a lot, we payed 2699 pp for our up coming Med. cruise. The same cabin 6 months out is 4549 pp per cabin, almost a 2000 pp increase....

I'm just glad we booked when we did.

However on our most recent Century cruise our fare dropped 200 pp for a category 7 OV.

Check often, book early...thats the bottom line

Dave:eek:

Here's the deal. Since mid November there were a total of 12 -14 sky suites available, and nearly 80% of the century suites were available. The FV were listed as guarantee only and from time to time that was removed - (making you believe that they were sold out). Final payment is due January 31st.

I do have a FV guarantee (these FV are not the same size as the Millenium class ships). I made my final payment as it was believed by some that once final payment has been made a cabin will then be assigned. Yes I'm gambling - I havenot been assigned a cabin. I even called the Captains Club and inquired about whether a cabin had been assigned and not listed on the reservation site.

Captains Club was very helpful in telling me I do not have an assignment and even though it is a FV guarantee - that nearly 80% of the FV are available. So evidently they are not "sold out"

I can deal with a FV as I love aft cabins, the Century suite would also be fine. I was contemplating surprising my husband and paying the extra for a sky suite. By the way the Penthouse and Royal Suites were sold out five months ago.

Just to wrap this up - there was no change in the "supply and demand" and this cruise in not within the next 2 - 4 weeks.

I will continue to watch the prices and if the price comes down I think I'll change cabins. If not, oh well.

Reasonable? Reasonable is whatever the cruise lines what to charge. Not intending to flame but I find it interesting how misunderstood the pricing system of the cruise lines is by some and there surprise when these things happen.

It is supply and demand. There are departments at each cruise line that manage inventory and revenue. They have sophisticated computer programs that look at trends, previous demand, etc. The goal is simply to maximize revenue on each sailing and across the fleet.

I can show you examples, and many of you can site examples as well, where fares on a particular cruise have dropped in half or more and others where fares have tripled or more from opening to sailing. Yes, they make mistakes, rarely, but they are usually caught within hours.

It is also interesting how some don't understand the seasonal pricing of cruises. The most interesting are the ones who contact a travel agent at the last minute this time of year and expect to sail the Caribbean at September-December prices and get mad when they are told current pricing and availability. I am aware of one case like this, just the other day, when the client told the agent, "You are blowing smoke up my ***" and then stomped out of the office.

Reasonable? Reasonable is whatever the cruise lines what to charge. Not intending to flame but I find it interesting how misunderstood the pricing system of the cruise lines is by some and there surprise when these things happen.

It is supply and demand. There are departments at each cruise line that manage inventory and revenue. They have sophisticated computer programs that look at trends, previous demand, etc. The goal is simply to maximize revenue on each sailing and across the fleet.

I can show you examples, and many of you can site examples as well, where fares on a particular cruise have dropped in half or more and others where fares have tripled or more from opening to sailing. Yes, they make mistakes, rarely, but they are usually caught within hours.

I keep stating that the supply is still plentiful on this cruise. The same number of sky suites that were available three months ago are still available. I guess the computer system felt if they raised the prices it would also increase the demand.

Just waiting to see what happens.

Archived