Cruising Secrets

CrazyCruisingCat

DH and I, along with another couple will be going on our first cruise in a few weeks. We keep hearing of fun little "secrets" that are cool to know and do when cruising. Such as, one friend told us some of the ships have "secret passages" which aren't really secret per say but are largely unknown. Another friend told us that usually there are books in your cabin, and if you ask your room steward if you can have them, they will give them to you. I would love to know any of these fun little details that are completely unknown to someone like me. We will be on the Carnival Victory sailing February 10th to the Western Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard of some of these as well. I guess neither you or I have been on enough cruises to even fit into the "need to know" catagory. One secret I have is to get to the pier at around 10, cause your on by 11. And get the late dinner seating. It sucks to rush back from an island scurry around to make it to dinner by 6. And i heard the biggest secret of all is to ALWAYSE book a balcony. This will be our first. Have fun!!

Not sure if this is the type of secret you're looking for, but at least it's a good tip. Take along an over-the-door shoe holder, the plastic or canvas type with lots of pockets, this will greatly increase your storage space. You can use the pockets for all sorts of things, camera chargers, sun screen, hair brush, etc, etc.

Also, the cabins can be quite dark at night, a small plug in night light with an on/off switch will help prevent stubbed toes on a late night trip to the bathroom.

One more... electrical outlets are very limited, we take along a power strip with a circuit breaker, that way we can plug in the laptop, the camera chargers, and the night light.

Have a great cruise!

We just got back from a 15 day Diamond Princess LA-Hawaii and I don't know what we would have done without the over the door hanger. It was crammed full, and I don't know where we would have put the things otherwise. I'd never cruise without one again.

Not sure if this is a secret, but you can order as much food in teh dining rooms as you want. Order 3 appetizers, 2 entrees, whatever. Especially on Carnival, the waiters won't even bat an eye. And late seating is so much better, you don't need to rush to dinner, and it makes the days seem longer (always great when on a cruise)

Cruisers think they are locked into when they dine and what time as stated in their confirmations. That is the farest thing from the truth! If you what early seating one night just see the dining room supervisor. If you don't like your table mates that the cruise line has matched you up with just asked to be changed, immediately.

Cruisers are under no obligation to sit with boring, unmannered, or one-uppers while they dine. You are paying for the experience so make it the best in can be. I've just seen so many people complain about table mates and they do not realize that they have the power to change the situation. Believe me, we have run into some doozies for table mates! One couple was so drunk and stinky, we got up in the middle of our soups and left the table. The Dining Room Captain was happy to seat us at another table and we found the other couples to be great company!

Happy Cruising!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We've never had any really BAD tablemates! But, do try them--it really makes for a much more "fun" dinner! The waiter will appreciate the fun, too, and the whole meal becomes a social party!

I know alot of folks freak when they think they may have to eat with strangers!!! But, they're only strangers until you say "Hi"! Then, they are your friends--folks who will share their experiences, and you can share yours! Lovely!

I know when me and my best friend went on our cruise, I was nervous, I am a shy person. But before we could even set sail she was making friends with EVERYONE. By the time we were in the middle of the cruise everyone would say HI to us when we were walking down the halls. AND we even did things with our table mates. YES they all were old enough to be our parents, but it mad a GREAT deal of fun. My tablemates even came to check up on me when I had sun poisoning..... REMEMBER THE SUNSCREEN:D

So in the end, make the best of the "strangers" because soon they will be your friends. And you already know that you both like some of the same things....CRUISING;)

HAPPY CRUISING!

Our first cruise on Rccl my wife and I somehow ended up at a table for 2. It was nice as I was not a fan of eating with strangers. On our next cruise, we went on sensation and we sat at a table for 8. We were a little uncomfortable sitting with people we didn't know (plus the ship was really rocking and I was already green). But by the time the entrees came out, we were all talking, telling stories, and laughing about things. We ended up making some great friends.

This time around we asked for the bigger table, so we'll see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're at the end of the ship near the spa, there's usually a staircase where spa-goers can enter/exit unnoticed. This is useful if you've just had a massage/facial, and your hair is oily (though well-scented), and your skin is blotchy (though well cleansed). Little known staircases are sometimes throughout the ship, and can save many steps to the main staircases/elevators. Be sure to never use the "crew only" passages, don't worry, they'll be well marked.

If you're at the end of the ship near the spa, there's usually a staircase where spa-goers can enter/exit unnoticed. This is useful if you've just had a massage/facial, and your hair is oily (though well-scented), and your skin is blotchy (though well cleansed). Little known staircases are sometimes throughout the ship, and can save many steps to the main staircases/elevators. Be sure to never use the "crew only" passages, don't worry, they'll be well marked.

• 1 month later...
Our first cruise on Rccl my wife and I somehow ended up at a table for 2. It was nice as I was not a fan of eating with strangers. On our next cruise, we went on sensation and we sat at a table for 8. We were a little uncomfortable sitting with people we didn't know (plus the ship was really rocking and I was already green). But by the time the entrees came out, we were all talking, telling stories, and laughing about things. We ended up making some great friends.

This time around we asked for the bigger table, so we'll see what happens.

I agree...even my teens are already hoping we'll get tablemates on our upcoming cruise...it's fun to meet new folks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few secrets that I hope you can use.

1. There is usually an extra drawer under the bed for your use.

2. If you book a room midship and lower down, it isn't so rocky.

3. Get " the patch from your doctor if you tend to get seasick.

4. Spend the night prior to the cruise in case there is a flight delay.

5. Take plenty of sunscreen and use it.

6. Pack clothes in 2 or 3 colors so you can mix and match.

Have a great time. I love the caribbean.

Janis

The best tip I could give is that it never hurts to ask. Let's face it, you're not going to get everything you want -- if, for example, the excursion you forgot to sign up for is sold out, you're probably not going to be able to be added to it the night before -- but it doesn't hurt to ask, since you never know -- someone could cancel, or there may be enough people who want to go that the ship is able to arrange for a second group. Or food that's not on the menu. Or whatever. The smaller the ship, the better your chances usually. It costs you nothing to ask for an upgrade. Won't you feel good when you get one?

Also, always -- always -- bring a flashlight. Clothes pins (just a couple). Before the cruise, when you have everything out and ready to put into your suitcase, put about half of it away -- you won't need it. Bring less clothing and use the laundry/dry cleaning on the ship. If there are formal nights on your cruise and you are a guy, wear a tuxedo. Get to your embarkation port well before the cruise -- a day early if you can swing it.

Enough for now. biggest tip -- enjoy yourself (no matter what happens).

• 2 weeks later...

I learned this on my last cruise. If you plan on leaving an extra tip to your room steward or your favorite bartender.....bring one of those cheap packs of thank you cards, write a personal thank-you / job well done - note inside and include your tip, and have the family or group you were with all sign it. It makes a person feel good to get a card - right!

Random acts of kindness are good for your soul!!!:D

Inside cabins are as dark as a tomb bring a night light and flashlight.

Three liter boxes of wine are easy to bring on board in checked bags and fit in the fridge.

Always start or join the CC roll call. We have gotten many extras like free drinks.

Having been on only 4 cruises since 1963 with the last three since 2001, I would say pack lightly (i.e. watch your luggage allowance if you are traveling by air since the airlines will really dock you (I found out the hard way on this last trip) for going over the allotted number of bags per person.)

Dress comfortably. Make sure you bring tennis shoes/walking shoes when in port. Reserve your tours prior to your departure date (you usually have up to 1 week before the cruise to reserve - but the sooner the better.

Travel one day or more in advance of your cruise. Personally, when I fly out of Ohio, I usually use Port Columbus International Airport and stay in a hotel next to the terminal so I can have FREE parking. I recommend that you stay one day after your cruise after your return flight so you will be well rested...What is the use to go on a vacation and end up in a hospital or worse yet a funeral home because you want to hurry up and get home...especially if you are landing late at night (this happened to me on my way back from Ft Lauderdale with my connection in Philly delayed due to severe storms in the area).

If you don't have a tux for formal night(s) (men) a dark suit is fine. If you are military, wear your Military Dress Uniform.

Check with your cruise line to see what is planned for each night -- some cruise lines have a Country-Western/Square Dance Night, Rock-n-Roll Night et. al.

SS Independence (May 1961)

Carnival Victory (August 2001)

Legend of the Seas (August 2003)

Carnival Liberty (May 2007)

Yes, I am planning a a cruise for 2008 and 2009.

If you take half the clothes, you might need to do laundry. Pick up a folding clothes hamper at the dollar store. It folds flat for easy packing and comes in handy for your dirty clothes. (Putting your dirty clothes in a trash bag could get them thrown away accidently by the room steward. It's happened!) A lady from England was so enamored by ours on our last cruise that my husband gave it to her. We had more!:) Have a wonderful time!

300029332_popup20hamper.jpg.690a2cfb40f9d2b9d1176d734e837c96.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The best tip I could give is that it never hurts to ask. Let's face it, you're not going to get everything you want -- if, for example, the excursion you forgot to sign up for is sold out, you're probably not going to be able to be added to it the night before -- but it doesn't hurt to ask, since you never know -- someone could cancel, or there may be enough people who want to go that the ship is able to arrange for a second group. Or food that's not on the menu. Or whatever. The smaller the ship, the better your chances usually. It costs you nothing to ask for an upgrade. Won't you feel good when you get one?

Also, always -- always -- bring a flashlight. Clothes pins (just a couple). Before the cruise, when you have everything out and ready to put into your suitcase, put about half of it away -- you won't need it. Bring less clothing and use the laundry/dry cleaning on the ship. If there are formal nights on your cruise and you are a guy, wear a tuxedo. Get to your embarkation port well before the cruise -- a day early if you can swing it.

Enough for now. biggest tip -- enjoy yourself (no matter what happens).

If the shore excursion you want is full, we learned last year from a fellow PAX who joined our excursion, that if you go down to the area by the buses, if there is space after everyone boards, you can go too. (They usually couldn't say ahead of time.)

If you take half the clothes, you might need to do laundry. Pick up a folding clothes hamper at the dollar store. It folds flat for easy packing and comes in handy for your dirty clothes. (Putting your dirty clothes in a trash bag could get them thrown away accidently by the room steward. It's happened!) A lady from England was so enamored by ours on our last cruise that my husband gave it to her. We had more!:) Have a wonderful time!

[ATTACH]84387[/ATTACH]

I take a travel size liquid detergent and do some hand wash (e.g. tops). Near the end of our cruise (Celebrity) and in the middle (RCCL) ran a laundry special where you could do a sm-med plastic bag of laundry for (at the time) $25. Celebrity did everything. RCCL returned slacks without washing them; i.e. they did mostly t's and underwear. It is hard to get info about this ahead of time.

Archived