Where does O dock in Stockholm?

Lair Bear

After the Baltic cruise, we will be arriving in Stockholm and spend an extra night aboard the ship before going home. Thus we will have a full day and evening in Stockholm.

Questions:

1. Where does O usually dock, and how far is it to Old Town? Walking distance? Taxis?

2. We are thinking of doing the Stockholm Grand Tour on our own (not the ship's version). Has anyone done the 3 1/2 hour combination bus and boat tour? Comments? Do we need to have tickets before hand or can we buy at the starting point?

3. Then after the early city tour we want to see Old Town on our own. Suggestions about restaurants and special places?

All four of us are good walkers, so a few miles is a nice stroll.

I know this has come up before, but I had a terrible time doing a search. Too slow.

We took the Baltic cruise out of Stockholm. I got the feeling the berth can change. I am sorry I can't tell you where it was located. We were given poor information from O and had to carry our luggage half a mile from where the taxi left us. I can not understand why they can't have you call somewhere before you leave your hotel to get good directions. It left a very poor taste in my mouth. It was quite a distance from downtown Stockholm. You would have to get a cab.

Questions:

1. Where does O usually dock, and how far is it to Old Town? Walking distance? Taxis?

All four of us are good walkers, so a few miles is a nice stroll.

When we were there on Insignia, the dock was Frihamnen 650 ... you can see the map at

http://www.stockholmcruise.com/templates/imagemap____635.aspx

It will be a stroll of about 3 or so miles from the main tourist area.

berth_map_B.gif

Your maps will help us to decide whether to walk or ride. I guess we won't know until close to departure (or maybe even upon our arrival in Stockholm).

Hopefully it will be one of the three berths near Old Town. When I zoomed in on Stockholm using Google Earth, you can see a ship that looks like one of the O ships at Stadsgarden. That should be under a mile walk to the bridge crossing over to Old Town island.

I believe that is also the bridge where we can catch a ferry to the Vasa museum, should we elect to do that also.

I am still curious if anyone has done the Stockholm Grand Tour and what they thought of it.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have taxi prices for the trip from the dock in Stockholm to the airport?

Any advice on best way to get to airport ..we disembark on a Monday.

We are going in 2009 so would appreciate anyone on cruises this season to report back with their experiences.

Does anyone have taxi prices for the trip from the dock in Stockholm to the airport?

Any advice on best way to get to airport ..we disembark on a Monday.

Hi Lynne-

I don't believe that you will have any other choices to/from the airport (unless you use Oceania's Transfers), besides a Taxi.

We took that trip 3x (luggage issues, entirely our fault, the Stockholm airport was a model of efficiency).

In a metered cab, it cost 20 to 25 Euro's for Airport to/from Frihamnen.

Enjoy your Trip, and please, don't miss the Vasa Museum. It was a real highlight!

Best Regards-

Jim & Stan

Hi Lynne-

I don't believe that you will have any other choices to/from the airport (unless you use Oceania's Transfers), besides a Taxi.

We took that trip 3x (luggage issues, entirely our fault, the Stockholm airport was a model of efficiency).

In a metered cab, it cost 20 to 25 Euro's for Airport to/from Frihamnen.

Enjoy your Trip, and please, don't miss the Vasa Museum. It was a real highlight!

Best Regards-

Jim & Stan

Thanks Jim & Stan (who ever posts) ;)

we did Vasa before so maybe we will see some other sights this cruise.

I have a whole year to plan!!!:D

I may have to have another cruise before then to avoid cruise withdrawal symptoms:eek:

Lynne-

Jim (the good-looking one, remember?) writes everything here. Poor Stanley is locked up in the castle of the evil J.P. Morgan/Chase, making the filthy lucre that we need to spend on our next cruise.

I'm very envious of you having enough free time to take a cruise in between cruises! You GO girl!

For Stockholm though, the HOHO ferry was FANTASTIC ( I don't know how they do it for the money!), and we thought that the Ice Bar was a hoot.

stockholm112.jpg<-- Everybody should do it at least once (and it was so much less crowded than the one in London!). Don't worry, THEY supply the Parkas!

If you've already done the "room with a view" thing in NYC, I would not bother with the Sky Bar in Stockholm.......we thought it was boring and obnoxiously expensive.

I posed these questions last month:

I see Regatta is scheduled to dock at VÄRTAHAMNEN July 29. I've not been able to find much information about services at this port. Can anyone tell me how to get to Gamla Stan and the Vasa Museum from the port? Is the Gärdet metro station within walking distance and is this an option? Thanks for your help.

Here is North-Bound's reply:

Tarheel423, it is possible to walk to Gärdet metro station from Värtahamnen, even if it is a little bit away. The metro can take you to Gamla Stan. But the Vasa museum is not in the same area. Actually it is closer to the port, but not near any metro station. A taxi is perhaps the best way. There is a bus 76 from Värtahamnen to Djurgårdsbron, from where there is a short walk to the museum. This bus runs only on week-days, not Saturday and Sunday. And the problem is that it is not possible to pay on the bus, you would have to get tickets from a machine that takes only coins or Swedish credit cards (if you have purchased the Stockholm card you avoid this problem). The same bus also continues to Gamla Stan.

I see Regatta is scheduled to dock at VÄRTAHAMNEN July 29.

How did you find out? I am still curious about our July 28 arrival, but if you know that it departs from Vartahamnen on the 29th, it must also be there for our arrival. That must the furthest cruise ship port from town, blahhhhh. Since we have a full day in Stockholm and then sleep on the ship again, it will make our travel back and forth to the ship a bit harder. The HO-Ho bus sounds like the answer if it is running that day.

Lair Bear -

If you go to http://www.stoports.com/ (the Ports of Stockholm) you will see in red under "Vessels in port" "More vessel calls, Stockholm." Click on that, and on the next page in the drop down box at the top, choose "Expected cruise vessels" (this will be in English), then click "Visa/View." Scroll down to 08/07/29 in the second column and you will find Regatta (along with several other ships) arriving on the 29th and departing on the 31st. Of course, who knows if there will be last minute changes!

I found it. Let's hope there will be a change and if I should find it, will post it here (hope you and other can do the same).

I almost referred to you as Tarpit, the black cat that belonged to our daugther at one time. Do you walk on the beaches north-west of Santa Barbara by chance? That is one way to get tarheels.

Lair Bear -

If you go to http://www.stoports.com/ (the Ports of Stockholm) you will see in red under "Vessels in port" "More vessel calls, Stockholm." Click on that, and on the next page in the drop down box at the top, choose "Expected cruise vessels" (this will be in English), then click "Visa/View." Scroll down to 08/07/29 in the second column and you will find Regatta (along with several other ships) arriving on the 29th and departing on the 31st. Of course, who knows if there will be last minute changes!

I followed your directions and found the August 2008 ships in port

We are boarding Regatta in Stockholm on June 4, 2008.

Did not find information for June - can you point me in the right direction please.

• 2 weeks later...

Tarheel,

Where are you located? I moved to southern California a few years ago from Fuquay-Varina. My daughter got her B.S. at Western in Cullowhee. Where are you?

Jana

Archived