Supplement to Celebrity Demographics Poll

Sky Sweet

Which option represents your highest level of education?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. Which option represents your highest level of education?

• High School Degree
    • Some college but no college degree
    • Associate's Degree or Trade School
    • Bachelor's Degree
    • Master's Degree
    • Two Master's Degrees
    • JD or LLB
    • DMD or DDS
    • MD
    • DO
    • DVM
    • PhD
    • PhD and MD or JD
    • Other - explain below

So far it looks like the first poll was right on the money. :)

I'm really surprised at the response to the first poll. It really is uncalled for.

Keep the surveys coming....I think they are very enjoyable and insightful.

Sorry for the double post. Don't know how to eliminate it--if anyone knows, I'd be happy to hear about it. The first one just sat there for 10 minutes or so, so I assumed it wasn't going anywhere. Shut down browser, opened it up again, attempted to reply again and it wasn't going any where. Wandered off for a while, got distracted, and just came back to find them both on the site. Who knows what mischief these things get up to in cyberspace?

All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten .... I hope that counts. ;)

Agree.Like I said on my six X cruises I was never asked once or never asked what education a fellow cruiser has.Sure we talk about what we do for a living .Why should anyone care?By the way I answered two Master degree's.Might as well fib like I do on most silly surveys

Since my other demographics poll did not include enough options for education, I am supplementing it with this one.

Select the option that represents the highest degree or level of education that you have?

Sorry that I mentioned the lack of degrees lower than a Masters on your earlier poll. :o I just thought that a lot of people would not have a Masters, but would have a Bachelor degree...I have one in Arts and one in Education... and there was no place to include us in your poll. I had no idea that the responses would be such as they are.

Of those who have responded to this Supplementary Celebrity Demographics poll so far..

14% have a PhD, MD, Dental, or Law Degree

40% have a Master's Degree or higher

77% have a Bachelor's Degree or higher

86% have an Associates Degree, Trade School Degree, or higher

94% have some college education or higher

Might as well fib like I do on most silly surveys

There is nothing silly about a voluntary participation poll amongst those who'd like to get a rough gauge of the demographic of a small sample of a target population. It's obviously of interest to some of us.

That you'd feel the need to lie & saboutage the results, on the other hand, may be another story.

After all, if it's so silly, why would you participate at all?

Richard.

There is nothing silly about a voluntary participation poll amongst those who'd like to get a rough gauge of the demographic of a small sample of a target population. It's obviously of interest to some of us.

That you'd feel the need to lie & saboutage the results, on the other hand, may be another story.

After all, if it's so silly, why would you participate at all?

Richard.

I've read where 25% or more of people will tell little harmless lies in polls such as these.Nothing wrong with that since its not like they are trying to embezzel someone.The same can be true in a casual meeting.People will sometimes embellish their accomplishments to impress others or try to bring themselves up in status.

Aswering incorrectly is hardly saboutage.Remember the fun people had voting for that talentless kid last year on American Idol?

I've read where 25% or more of people will tell little harmless lies in polls such as these.Nothing wrong with that since its not like they are trying to embezzel someone.The same can be true in casual meeting.People will sometimes embellish their accomplishments to impress others or try to bring themselves up in status.

Captain Jake, when my real life friends tell me something, I can accept their word at face value. That is why they are my friends :)

Lying is generally regarded as wrong (possible exceptions for spies, POWs, torture victims, undercover cops).

I know a lot of people do it. A lot of people also steal and do other 'wrong' things.

When people vote falsely, it throws off the percentages & undermines the effort to accurately reflect the sample responding to the poll.

Richard.

I grew up on the North Shore of Long Island during the fifties and sixties. When I was in college, there was a proposal to bus 30 disadvantaged students from New York City to an elementary school in our neighborhood, which had a repuatation for being very liberal. To my surprise this very liberal area, which I thought I knew so well, voted against the busing proposal.

That gave me the idea for a class project to do a study comparing the demographics of those who voted for the proposal with those who voted against it. To do that, I developed a questionaire which included questions about how people voted, as well as various demographics such as age, occupation, education, etc. I then prepared a list of names, randomly selected, and distributed the questionaire personally when I came home for spring break. To protect everyone's privacy, no one was expected to indicate their name or address on that form.

When I met with various people to complete the questionaire, they asked me to assure them that no one would know how they voted because most of their friends and neighbors think that they voted differently than they did, but they wanted to be completely honest on the questionanaire.

I grew up on the North Shore of Long Island during the fifties and sixties. When I was in college, there was a proposal to bus 30 disadvantaged students from New York City to an elementary school in our neighborhood, which had a repuatation for being very liberal. To my surprise this very liberal area, which I thought I knew so well, voted against the busing proposal.

That gave me the idea for a class project to do a study comparing the demographics of those who voted for the proposal with those who voted against it. To do that, I developed a questionaire which included questions about how people voted, as well as various demographics such as age, occupation, education, etc. I then prepared a list of names, randomly selected, and distributed the questionaire personally when I came home for spring break. To protect everyone's privacy, no one was expected to indicate their name or address on that form.

When I met with various people to complete the questionaire, they asked me to assure them that no one would know how they voted because most of their friends and neighbors think that they voted differently than they did, but they wanted to be completely honest on the questionanaire.

May have had less trouble getting it passed in the "Blue Collar " neighborhood.I guess it was a lesson that the "well-to-do" have less heart at times than the working class stiffs.The company I retired from had private randomly distibuted questionaires sent to employess from time to time.No names on return envelopes,but there was a serial number on them.How private were they?Sometimes you tell them what they want to hear.Like in College,sometimes you had to answer essay questions from the professors point of veiw to get a high mark

Hi Captain Jake :)

My main reason for posting about that project from 1968 was to illustrate that even though you read an article about people not being truthful when they respond to polls/surveys, sometimes it is just the opposite.

That is probably because it is easier to be completely honest in an anonymous poll where there are no repercussions for one's responses.

Since I started these two threads about Celebrity demographics, I made an interesting observation. The anonymous poll statistics paint a very different picture than one would derive if they just read the posts on these threads.

Interesting timing. I just read an article that the average preson "fibs" 4 times a day. The main one being "I'm fine". I would venture to say that anyone that says they answer everything truthfully listen to everything they say in response to questions. Just making an observation, not trying to start a war.

One of Robert Heinlein's contentions was that the complete and utter truth was the only perfect lie. You didn't have to remember a story and no one believed you anyway.

Thinking back to the elections and primaries the last few years and the fact the exit polls were not close to reality, makes one wonder about either the vericity of the people polled or what criteria the pollsters used to pick the pollees.

May have had less trouble getting it passed in the "Blue Collar " neighborhood.I guess it was a lesson that the "well-to-do" have less heart at times than the working class stiffs.The company I retired from had private randomly distibuted questionaires sent to employess from time to time.No names on return envelopes,but there was a serial number on them.How private were they?Sometimes you tell them what they want to hear.Like in College,sometimes you had to answer essay questions from the professors point of veiw to get a high mark

That was when I first learned the true meaning of the term "limousine liberal" :)

Sweet! I dare you to put both polls on a few other cruise line's board. I think this is interesting.:)

Personally I find the survey totally irrelevant. What does your educational level have to do with anything? I'll match my education with anyone any day but it sounds very elitist to say the least. Even so, I decided to play the game. What can I say? I'm bored today. :o

LNF

What does your educational level have to do with anything?

While in & of itself it does not dictate other traits, there does tend to be some degree of correlation with a range of other characteristics. Income, for instance. You can be broke with a Doctoral Degree or a rich high school drop-out, but as I once read on a Murphy's Law-themed poster:

"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet."

I found college enriched my life experience substantially, vs. the experience I likely would've had without it.

After all, if education level had nothing to do with anything, I doubt many people would waste many years & large amounts of money earning those degrees.

Richard.

I've read where 25% or more of people will tell little harmless lies in polls such as these.Nothing wrong with that since its not like they are trying to embezzel someone.The same can be true in a casual meeting.People will sometimes embellish their accomplishments to impress others or try to bring themselves up in status.

Aswering incorrectly is hardly saboutage.Remember the fun people had voting for that talentless kid last year on American Idol?

Hey Jake, don't believe that 25% figure; those people were telling little harmless lies!

Archived